Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

making calves thinner

This is such a specific issue I'm having that I din't want to post in the general losing wieght thread.

I just got these amazing boots I want to wear for my Tak cosplay later this year/early next year. Here's the problem: I've always had trouble wearing boots that go much above my ankles because I have meaty calves. I just tried these shoes on and even with loosening the buckles on the side I can't zip them up even halfway. I've been looking online for ways to slim down calves, but a lot of the initial results have been unhelpful or just plain unreliable (if a website can't even get basic grammar right, why should I take fitness advice from them?).

Does anyone have any tips or advice on this matter? Anything at all would be very much appreciated

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormraven24 View Post
This is such a specific issue I'm having that I din't want to post in the general losing wieght thread.

I just got these amazing boots I want to wear for my Tak cosplay later this year/early next year. Here's the problem: I've always had trouble wearing boots that go much above my ankles because I have meaty calves. I just tried these shoes on and even with loosening the buckles on the side I can't zip them up even halfway. I've been looking online for ways to slim down calves, but a lot of the initial results have been unhelpful or just plain unreliable (if a website can't even get basic grammar right, why should I take fitness advice from them?).

Does anyone have any tips or advice on this matter? Anything at all would be very much appreciated
check out the new FAQ board. I put in the answer for your question!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Leradny
"The Cool Joint"

While there's no such thing as spot training, it's not IMPOSSIBLE to slim down your calves just a touch. Try stretching them with this exercise: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/...alfstretch.htm, but hold the stretch for a minute instead of ten seconds.
Leradny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
distantarray

like already mentioned there is no such thing as spot fat reduction, you can try to do cardio/diet to decrease the fat around the legs and make more muscle to tighten up, but you might possibly run into excess muscle size as well if you over do it, but then there are other forms of cardio you can do without working out the legs such as poi or interval training (minimal rest) inbetween sets of weights. You could always try to find a larger size for the boots which would be the easiest way :P
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Thank you everyone! I thought there was really no way to do spot-training, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. As for a bigger size boot, well, they don't really come like that; if I get a bigger pair they'd only be bigger in the foot, not so much in the leg area, and the ones I've got already fit perfectly in the foot. I'm actually calling around to shoe repair places and seeing if they might be able to do something about the shoes in addition to me exercising; I need some kind of motivation anyway xD
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Kasinator
Not quite human

no harm done. i setup the FAQ board after this. just please go to the site headquarters board and ask this topic to be deleted. we do not want to clog up the boards too much. XD

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I have the same problem with my calves - when I shop for boots I have to try on several different brands to find something that will zip up and not totally squish my leg.

Kasinator - no reason to ask anyone to have a thread deleted. It may be helpful to someone else.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
no harm done. i setup the FAQ board after this. just please go to the site headquarters board and ask this topic to be deleted. we do not want to clog up the boards too much. XD
This board is empty, you need the treads =P

And, I too have this issue.... I have never bought a pair of boots because they never fit my calves. I don't want to slim them down though, I think they are damn sexy just the way they are.
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Kasinator
Not quite human

While it is true we need to fill up this board, I would rather fill this board with information that has not been addressed. Simply put no ifs ands or buts there is no such thing as spot treatment. If there was I would simply tell people to do only X exercise every day. Fat goes and spreads throughout the body and will go to specific areas.

I am not trying to be harsh here, I just don't want people to post the same problem, and wait hours for the same response that is already stickied.

Now if you want some more sound advice simply start with the workout I just setup for beginners. I guarantee you will notice results within 1 month provided you eat right along with the exercises.

If you want good leg exercises in general i suggest plyometrics or jump training. http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975 she specializes in them. just do them as part of your cardio workout and you can make serious progress.

Again I really don't want to come off as harsh, I just don't want people confused and misinformed. OK?

My workout
What to eat

Last edited by Kasinator : 07-14-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

Kas, this is a more specific question than just a general FAQ thing. There's no harm in having questions about multiple things generate discussion. Also, unless I'm misinformed, you don't seem to be a moderator here.

As for your calves, have you tried wearing compression socks/tights? They might give you the extra bit you need to get your calves in there. Or can you stretch out the boots at all, if they're made of leather?

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
sakuralove

i did 300 jumping jacks a day for about 3 months and cut out sugar and it just about killed me, but i lost a lot of weight from my calves and stomach.
sakuralove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamoflife02 View Post
As for your calves, have you tried wearing compression socks/tights? They might give you the extra bit you need to get your calves in there. Or can you stretch out the boots at all, if they're made of leather?
Agreed - another thing that might help is just a pair of nylon hose. There is less friction between the boot and your skin or a pair of socks and helps eek it on just that much.

I certainly wouldn't recommend anything that makes you uncomfortable.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

I didn't even know they made compression tights *_* Learn something new everyday; I'll search around for any this weekend, although I'm not sure how much they'll help. I did call a shoe repair shop in town, but they're on vacation this week so I'll give them a call when they get back in to see if they have a calf stretcher at all...or can do anything else with these things.

Also Kasinator, I don't think you're being harsh but I do think you're being a little unfair by asking me to ask for my thread to be deleted. As I said, this is a more specific topic than a general "how do I lose weight/slim down/tone up/whatever", so there are going to be more specific replies, such as with dreamoflife's and char's suggestions. I do thank you for creating the FAQ, but if this subforum is only going to be one thread (read: yours) then what's the point of it in the first place? Just sayin'
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Rui Gaika
shūchū shite ak

I did this pilates legs slimmer workout off of fit tv. They have it on the website I believe. It really slims down your calves, more so your thighs but, you can just do the calve workouts.

Check here too http://www.calfreduction.net/content...ge-calf-muscle

http://fittv.discovery.com/

Not on here too much cause I haven't gotten to cosplay. >,<
Rui Gaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
distantarray

come to think about it, if you restrict the calves for a few days you could probably feel more comfortable in those for a day or two. Kinda like corsett training for your calves. I wouldn't recommend it long term though.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote