Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

The "Knuckle-headed" Ninja Workout AKA Intermediate Level workout

There are a lot of Naruto cosplayers out there. Some good some bad, this workout is for those who will literally go for the extra mile to look, act and be the part. Of course this is not limited to this group alone. I also recommend this for anyone who is going to cosplay RPG characters and people who are required to show a more revealing cosplay as well. The workout is based loosely around that popular workout everyone is trying ( I won't mention names here ), and around three months time if you do everything down to the letter, and eat right. You will have a complete body transformation. The general Idea here will be loosing fat and toning. Although this will build muscle initially, the rest of the time you will simply be toned.

Budget level: $60-80 You can definitely go cheaper though as this is a rough estimate.

Essential Equipment: A pullup bar, A set of interchangeable dumbbells (I gt mine at wal mart for $20. You can also check your craigslist and garage sales for MUCH MUCH cheaper), a mat, chairs, some good shoes and workout clothes.

Optional equipment:yoga dvd (run time must be over an hour), leg weights, jump rope

Difficulty: 5/10 Lifting is difficult in the beginning, but after a brief period of time,your body will adapt and you will begin to see some serious changes. I suggest this be done for people who are in reasonably good shape already. As always ask your doctor if you can do this stuff. Exercise at least an hour after eating. I don't want anybody cramping up. also not too late either. Recent studies show passing out in the middle of a workout is bad for you.

For terminology, please refer to the beginner workout

Unlike the Beginners workout this will be a split-body part workout, and will focus on specific bodyparts at a time. This is so we can utilize bodily recovery time in the given area for maximum results. So the next day when the top of your body feels sore, we work on the lower body parts so your upper body has time to recover. The final week of each month will have a total body workout followed by cardio the following day. The seventh day of each week will have no workout so you can relax your body.

@_@;;

I know it all sounds confusing right now. Let me Use this simple diagram to explain.

Weeks 1-3

Day 1- Upper body, abs

Day 2- cardio

Day 3- Arms, abs

Day 4- cardio

Day 5- Lower body , abs

Day 6- cardio

Day 7- Rest

Week 4

Day 1- Total body

Day 2- cardio

Day 3- Total body

Day 4- cardio

Day 5- Total body

Day 6- cardio

Day 7- Rest

Upper Body, Abs

warm up with this for now. Better warm ups will come soon I promise.

Pushups - 30 reps (modify if need be)

Pullups (wide grip) - 15-20 reps modifying is inevitable the first time you do this.

Dumbbell press - 5 sets of 8-15 reps. This exercise shows the person doing this on a bench but you can easily do this on the floor with your mat. Take breaks after each set for 30 seconds.

Dumbbell rows - 5 sets of 8-10 reps. Take breaks after each set for 30 seconds.

Elevated pushups - 30 reps. Take mid set breaks just dont be too long with the breaks. Use your pullup bar as a pushup stand for your wrists.

One arm dumbbell rows 8-15 reps with the most weight you can handle with good form

Cool down and stretch

Ab Routine You can also do the ab routine in the beginners workout. Remember doing ab workouts alone WILL NOT GIVE YOU A SIX PACK. Fat loss does. and to do that you need to do a total body workout, and a lot of cardio. Okay?

If you are really feeling daring, I recommend using leg weights on your ab routine for better results.

Cardio Day

All you have to do is 45 minutes of good cardio on cardio days. Yes he says 20 minutes every day on his video but remember your heartrate is increasing when you are doing resistance exercises as well. secondly we are trying to get your fat off your body.

I really recommend jump rope for good cardio. It helped me a lot.

Arms and Abs

warm up with this for now. Better warm ups will come soon I promise.

Dumbbell shoulder press - 6 sets of 8-10 reps

Dumbbell curl - 6 sets of 8-10 reps

Seated triceps press - 6 sets of 10 reps

Repeat these moves once more and cool down.

Ab Routine You can also do the ab routine in the beginners workout.

Lower body, abs

Dumbbell squats - 6 sets of 8-15 reps

Dumbbell lunges - 3 sets of 12 reps

Butt lift - 3 sets 60 seconds each

Stiff legged dumbbell deadlift (same as this video but with your dumbbells)- 3 sets of 8-15 reps

calf raises - 3 sets 20 reps

cool down & stretch

Ab Routine You can also do the ab routine in the beginners workout.

For the total body workout on week 4, refer to the beginners workout.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 02-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Kasinator
Not quite human

more parts will be up soon. A LOT more so I am doing this doulbe and tripple post to add room just in case for future edits.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Kasinator
Not quite human

more parts will be up soon.... A LOT more so I am doing this doulbe and tripple post to add room just in case for future edits.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

Results LOL, sorry. One too many Old Spice Commercials. And you referenced Naruto, lol.

Last edited by PhDPepper : 07-16-2010 at 06:15 PM.
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Kasinator
Not quite human

No no keep it! IT smells of WIN

My workout
What to eat

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
F. Silverberg

You can add Side raises to your shoulder exercise to accelerate mass growth, I really recommend reverse flies just for maintenance too just because it's so easy to injure the shoulder (my friend had to get surgery for his! don't be like him!), LOW WEIGHT on the reverse flies!

Dumbbell presses and push-ups kind of do the same thing, you can remove the push-ups and put in dumbbell flies.

Stiff-legged deadlift is VERY DANGEROUS WITHOUT PERFECT FORM, I know he mentions this in the video, but it would be good to make a note of that here.

Otherwise, this isn't a bad routine, I still think there needs to be a nutrition thread up here though, because all of this stuff is meaningless without good nutrition.
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Silverberg View Post
You can add Side raises to your shoulder exercise to accelerate mass growth, I really recommend reverse flies just for maintenance too just because it's so easy to injure the shoulder (my friend had to get surgery for his! don't be like him!), LOW WEIGHT on the reverse flies!

Dumbbell presses and push-ups kind of do the same thing, you can remove the push-ups and put in dumbbell flies.

Stiff-legged deadlift is VERY DANGEROUS WITHOUT PERFECT FORM, I know he mentions this in the video, but it would be good to make a note of that here.

Otherwise, this isn't a bad routine, I still think there needs to be a nutrition thread up here though, because all of this stuff is meaningless without good nutrition.
Totally agree on this. and I am working hard on one. It should be up by Saturday night.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
chinna

im going to start tomorrow cant wait! i really wanna see the results in 3 months time
San - princess mononoke (99%)
chinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
kiroux

Thanks for the info!

I'm trying to get back in shape since my shin injury 4 years ago. (I had to quit taekwondo because of it...)
Do you think this will help me get ready for it again?

Just to make sure, this won't make me too bulky right? I want to get rid of the excess fat and get fit.

Also, how many miles should I run for cardio? I've been doing 2 miles a day for several weeks with no results. Maybe I should bump up the speed or distance?

I'm totally starting today. Thanks so much for the guide!
kiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Kasinator
Not quite human

Its all about the amount of time you do good cardio. the activity of an elevated heart rate for a half in hour can get your body's energy and metabolism up.

As for the bulky part,the idea is to tone. you will gain muscle, but is impossible to get the amounts most girls picture picture they will be getting. it's all in my FAQ sticky I wrote.

TL;DR time put into cardio instead of distance. you won't get bulky.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
kiroux

Thank you~ I finished day 1 and my arms feel like jelly XD

I have a couple more questions:

--Since cardio revs the metabolism, I suppose it would be best to do workouts in the morning. In that case, should breakfast be before or after the workout?

--I looked up my target heart rate and it was between 101 and 152. So for 45 minutes I should keep my heart rate up there? (Is alternating between jump rope and running good, or should I do both?)
kiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
chinna

i did my lowerbody and abs workout yesterday but i had a lot of time left until i was to be picked up from the gym so i just ran on the tredmill and the incline glider machine(idk what the real name is) so my total workout time was about 2 and half hours. i was full of energy after so when i got home(around 10:30) i didnt go to sleep until 1:30am. Cuz i work i had to get up at 5:30 this morning. Now i feel sick and sore. I kno its probably the lack of sleep but is it possible that i worked out too long or that i over did it? also headach during the last like 20min, was i not getting enough oxygen or did i need to have had more food in my system? o and left arm pains during running, was i about to have a heart attack?!?! O.o
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinna View Post
i did my lowerbody and abs workout yesterday but i had a lot of time left until i was to be picked up from the gym so i just ran on the tredmill and the incline glider machine(idk what the real name is) so my total workout time was about 2 and half hours. i was full of energy after so when i got home(around 10:30) i didnt go to sleep until 1:30am. Cuz i work i had to get up at 5:30 this morning. Now i feel sick and sore. I kno its probably the lack of sleep but is it possible that i worked out too long or that i over did it? also headach during the last like 20min, was i not getting enough oxygen or did i need to have had more food in my system? o and left arm pains during running, was i about to have a heart attack?!?! O.o
You are just experiencing the adaptive phase. the pain is always the worst at the beginning because it's literally the most activity you probably have given your body in a long time. The weird part is after three months of doing this, You really want more pain in your workouts. I guess all of us love torture XD. Just be sure to distinguish sore and feeling a burn.

Sleep is A NEED. At least seven hours. rest will aid your recovery the most wether it is sores or injuries. I had to learn that the hard way .

Just a personal note of advice here. I really suggest not using cardio machines for exercise. Don't get me wrong they work well, but I still thing using aerobics and jump rope are far superior. plus you wont rely on it when someone takes the treadmill. It also improves your lower body results. The machine that are cardio and resistance like the bikes, are great though because that can work the legs even better.

On the note of workout time though, Just remember an hour is the most you really need in a day. < that is until I introduce the power of youth rock lee workout, but that is borderline triathlete level workouts > If you do yoga for cardio you can take 1 1/2 - 2 hours of exercise because of its slower pacing. And its totally worth it when you can do crazy stretches.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
chinna

ya i dont usually workout that hard. but i dont hurt as badly as i did at the beginning of lacrosse season last year so im improving. yay! i do usually use the incline/resistance machine vs the tredmill cuz ya it works me out alot better in a shorter amout of time but i thought i need to get used to running again b4 the season starts. i have an exersice jumprope... i just gotta use it lol and i do try to incorporate 5-10min of cycling.

Also just to be sure, should i still do my cardio today even though i did all that yesterday?
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Kasinator
Not quite human

absolutely. Technically you should do cardio every day for healthy activity. I just designed the exercises to be a little more modified. Since this is intermediate level the first moth is easy compared to months two and three. Months two and three will give you the option of adding more cardio or not. For those who want a more athletic toned look.

My workout
What to eat

Last edited by Kasinator : 08-03-2010 at 10:02 AM.