Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Colettel04
Novice Cosplayer

Nurse Joy Cosplay

I am currently in the works trying to create and finish a Nurse Joy (Season 1) Cosplay but find that I need guidance in transforming my skirt and shirt pattern into a form fitting Nurse Joy dress while figuring out how to get my loops on just right.

Any and all help would be appreciated (since I can't seem to get in touch with some of the former Nurse Joys' on online)!

I await your advice!

Colettel04

Unread 06-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

LOL I just realized that you posted here as well as in the Introduction section. This is definitely the right place to ask for advice though, so I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in your Introduction and move it here. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the cosplay hobby! Nurse Joy is a pretty easy cosplay, and perfect for a newbie. Now, for her dress, apron, and shoes: you can probably buy those without making them from scratch. Of course, you can try making your first cosplay from scratch, but those cosplayers who do that usually have at least a few years of sewing experience under their belts. Since you don't have any sewing experience, I'd recommend you try beginners' projects (sleeper pants, simple t-shirts, pillow cases, etc.) before attempting a really complicated piece like a fitted-bodice dress with puffed sleeves. It's really easy to find a dress and apron like hers though, so you shouldn't have any problems at a thrift store like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Trust me, they're a broke college cosplayer's best friends! For the cap, you can buy a cheapo Halloween costume one online and it should work perfectly. It's a pretty generic design, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it!
However, if you decide to go ahead with it anyway, make sure you (1) get some basic garment sewing instruction to learn how to use your machine, (2) do a few of the beginners' projects I mentioned above, and (3) buy a good pattern. Also, make the dress with cheap fabric before sewing with the fabric you'll actually use, which will likely be more expensive.
As far as the wig, it's hard to find a wig with that style. So more than likely, you'll need to buy a long pink wig and style it yourself. The loops of hair shouldn't be too hard to make though, here's a Nurse Joy who already tackled this hairstyle. Her finished costume can be found here, and you can see that her hair looks great!
Good luck with your first cosplay!!!

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

MegaCon Tampa 2016- Mulan

Previous:

MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Colettel04
Novice Cosplayer

Well I am utilizing some of my grandma's and mother's guidance (as they both had to do odd work when they immigrated) but I'm still going to try and get this dress done from my skirt/shirt 50's pattern I found at my local fabric store.

I kind of already got the pieces cut out and am trying to figure out what step to do first but I was wondering where to put the zipper on the dress (because this is all going to look like one smooth piece) under the arm near the sleeve or closer to the waist where my apron (which will for the sake of accuracy will be sewn on to get a better bow)?

Also for the hair I was more inquisitive on where I could find a good quality raspberry red wig?

I made the mistake of ordering one from china and it only had 5 layers of hair, each that were horrendously spaced on the wig so I couldn't part or move my head without the cap showing underneath.

I've checked out Arda (which is good but expensive and the wig won't make it in time) and wigisfashion.com which has a cheaper version of the wig but I'm still iffy on whether it will be poor quality (not enough layers/hair) and ultimately not work for my cosplay.

Do you think you could direct me toward someone that has already bought from wigisfashion.com so I may inquire about their product's quality and whether it's worth it to spend more money?

Please and thank you,
Colettel04