Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Morana
Shy and awkward

Question Outfit to Grow with Child

I'm planning to make a Naruto costume for a 2-year old's birthday in May. I'd like my toddler to be able to wear it again for Nan Desu Kan 2015 and then a third time for Halloween next year. I have an idea of how to make it "grow" with her but am interested if there are other ways.

I figure if I make it the bigger size needed, I can put the seams in for the smaller sizes and then remove those as needed.

Any advice/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Morana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
lemuries

Actually I would do it the way you were planning, including deep pant and coat cuffs to be let out as legs and arms grow longer. Maybe the headband could be on a long cloth and tied, rather than on an elastic that would need to be replaced?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #3
Morana
Shy and awkward

Thanks, Lemuries. I've never made anything that needed to grow before.
Unread Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Here's some suggestions from an old sewing book I have (fromthe days when it was still common to make your kids clothes and thus let them out as they grew);
-Let-out seams and deep hems. When you cut your materials, allow an extra inch to two inches at the length of the pants and top, and sleeves. Do a deeper rolled hem to hide it, if it's not lined (the book explains using a tuck at the waist of a girl's dress, but obviously that's not the case with your costume). Likewise, don't clip seam allowances too closely at shoulders, neck, etc. leaving a little extra (do pink or serge, though, so they don't fray) so the entire thing if need be can be let out a little. Kids tend to grow in height before width, but you never know (and if your kid wants to wear the costume for a REALLY long time, or it gets given to another child, you'll definitely need it).
-Related to such, if you think they're going to grow across the shoulders, add a small tuck of about one inch (made by making a dart of half an inch deep with each fabric half you're sewing together there) across the shoulder seam going towards the waist area. The extra bulk will "blend" itself into the chest area while the shoulders still look fine. It can then be let out later and gives two inches extra room to grow when let fully out.
-Elastic is your friend! Elastic stretches and is usually comfy. You can add snaps or a loop and button along with it to make sure it fits properly but when they grow, can just remove them and the elastic itself will then be enough. Likewise, if you can get away with the fabric having a little stretch, all the better. Especially if your toddler is active and runs the risk of ripping or popping seams on their clothes. And don't skimp on the fabric quality, in that case. If you think she'll wear it a lot, go with a durable easy-care fabric, not cheap thin Halloween-bin materials.

And I assume you know this already if you've sewn for your kid, but just in case- NEVER use the age to select the pattern size, always go by the chest measurement. A chubby versus a skinny kid of the same age will be a different size, and so on, and it's much easier to take in sizes if the chest is correctly fitted. And when between sizes or in doubt, go with the larger option (you of course know the "They'll grow into it" saying).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : Yesterday at 03:56 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:20 AM   #5
Morana
Shy and awkward

Thanks ShinobiXikyu, that is super helpful.