Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Gileotine

Starting a WoW Armor Set

Evening folks, my name is Grey. Like most people, I'm here to get started on something and no idea where to start. First things first:

I want to make World of Warcraft's Season 10 PVP Hunter Set. The album is posted below for the reference images.
http://imgur.com/a/PRhXz#NNi6HIe

I don't know how to post individual pictures from imgur, I apologize.

BUDGET: 200-300 USD

EXPERIENCE: Almost none, did a very basic costume (The Kid from Bastion), which composed of a craft foam shoulder and two square chestplates. I.E. I know jack about armor making. I've read up on how to make patterns using plastic wrap and masking tape, but I've not actually tried it yet. I have a roommate here to help me with it. I'm no artist, but I'll deal with painting later.

EQUIPMENT: No equipment at the moment, but I'm within walking/driving distance of three hardware stores and an entire neighborhood of arts and craft supply. I also have a garage of random tools and a lot of space.

Notes:
I've read up on http://amethyst-angel.com/armortutor...tutorials.html and, while I don't think I have enough money to buy a ton of worbla and wonderflex to craft this thing, styrene looks like a cheap way for me to get to my goal. Is it though? I dunno.

Even though it is included in the above pictures, I don't really want to make a belt for this cosplay. Additionally, while it looks super cool, I'm considering not doing the chest plate at all in lieu of the tabard, since that's what my character wears in-game and it would add a flow-y look to it.

I have Kamui's "Book of Cosplay Armor Making", which gives me some idea how to make patterns and also how to use anything similar to worbla or wonderflex. Just a note, of course.

I suppose my biggest questions are where to start. How to start on the basic shape of the shoulders, how to hold it all together, how to start on the legplates, hands and gloves. I know it's a huge project and it's a lot to ask all at once, but if you can give advice on even one piece of this whole mess I'd be in debt to you.

If you need clarification of what I'm trying to do, please ask so I can try and explain this mumbo jumbo in my head.

-Grey
Gileotine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Gileotine

Alright, I'm going to narrow it down piece by piece, since I realized shoving that whole thing into people's faces might be a LITTLE overwhelming.

Budget for this piece: $80
Experience for this piece: None.

I'm thinking about using one of three methods.

A friend of mine who also did some WoW armor made her huge shoulderpads out of expanding foam, using cardboard "molds" and carving the shape out of the block of foam. I tried this once and had terrible results... tips maybe?

EVA foam seems like an option, but I have no idea how to turn those bulky-thick plates into a shoulder piece.

There's also the method of cutting out a mock-armor in craft foam and then gluing styrene sheets on top of it as linked below. This looks the most viable for everything else but the shoulder pads.

http://amethyst-angel.com/armortutor...tutorials.html

Any tips?
Gileotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
Hawkadium

Maybe try the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d67ETuMiIiI

Honestly, I think you are getting in over your head as a first time costume. Maybe start with something smaller like a helmet or an Ironman Arm.
Unread 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
rokusancosplay

Check out evil ted and bill Doran on youtube for tutorials those two have very comprehensive guides on eva foam armor crafting.
rokusancosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
lemuries

Are you familiar with Penwiper's craft foam armor tutorial?

Worbla and wonderflex are amazing, but I think craft foam might be a good place to start (after all, you could use them as the cream filling for the Kamui worbla oreos later, once you have the shapes down).
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote