Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 11-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #1
CheriaBee

How to make Lacey holed parts

Hi guys! I have a hard time looking for a tutorial on how to do this

I'm working on this costume for a friend, and as you can see- her fabric has holes punch into em.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...jpg~or iginal

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...add953388c.jpg

I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to do this? Or whatever technique you guys suggest? The only thing I found is using that liquid that burns the fabric when ironed but it's not avail in my place.

Any suggestions?
CheriaBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I'd say make sure you're using a sturdy-ish fabric- muslin or broadcloth probably won't work for this, but cotton sateen will. Draw your pattern onto the fabric, then machine satin stitch around the outside edges of the holes. Then cut your holes out, careful not to cut the satin stitching. Use some fray-chek on the edges if you're worried.

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
CheriaBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
I'd say make sure you're using a sturdy-ish fabric- muslin or broadcloth probably won't work for this, but cotton sateen will. Draw your pattern onto the fabric, then machine satin stitch around the outside edges of the holes. Then cut your holes out, careful not to cut the satin stitching. Use some fray-chek on the edges if you're worried.
Oh so it's like making an eyelet kind of fabric?

Any other suggestions ^^;
Else, I will resort to this suggestion of satin stitching the holes one by one ;n;
Unread 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
kandell

If you're using a polyester fabric (must be 100% polyester) you can use a soldering iron or heat knife to cut out the holes. The heat causes the fibers to kind of melt together and prevent any fraying. This is the method Yaya Han used for her artbook C.C. http://yayahan.com/portfolio/costumes/cc-code-geass
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
ilafatyu
That guy

I've also seen a tutorial for a cheaper alternative to buying a heat knife. I haven't tried it, but basically you use fabric paint to gum up the edge of the fabric so it won't fray.

Best to try this on a scrap piece first.

https://www.facebook.com/KakeraCospl...type=3&theater

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: ???

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Zell, Soren, Zexion
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Lie Ren
Coming next : Cloud
ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Tiffany_Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
I've also seen a tutorial for a cheaper alternative to buying a heat knife. I haven't tried it, but basically you use fabric paint to gum up the edge of the fabric so it won't fray.

Best to try this on a scrap piece first.

https://www.facebook.com/KakeraCospl...type=3&theater
One of my friends did this with some kind of silky-satiny polyester fabric. She didn't use 3D paint, though, just regular metallic Jacquard fabric paints. She claims it works really well, but only time will tell if it holds up.

Basically, she painted the designs, then cut them out after the paint was dried and heat-set.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
CheriaBee

I'll be doing it on gazar fabric :0

Hmm, I am a little hesitant about 3D or fabric paint because an accidental pull on it will ruin it x_x\
Unread 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

This got recently brought up in another forum, so here's its thread; there's a link on one post on how to make some really nice cutwork by sewing machine, without the risk of sharp fabric edges or paint. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=359445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote