Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-20-2015, 04:18 AM   #1
brightstorms

Seeking a Second Opinion on How to Construct/Paint a Zero Suit Samus Suit

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to open this thread!

I'm looking to cosplay as Zero Suit Samus from the Metroid series for an upcoming con at the end of June.

So far, I've purchased a blonde wig and a light blue zentai suit. My plan is to paint the details onto the zentai suit with fabric paint.

From what I've gathered, the best way to go about this is to use the Jacquard brand of fabric paints combined with their no-heat fixative to paint on the details (while wearing the suit, of course).

Would this method be recommended, or is there another way to execute this that would be better suited for this particular cosplay?

Thank you!
brightstorms is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightstorms View Post
Hi, and thank you for taking the time to open this thread!

I'm looking to cosplay as Zero Suit Samus from the Metroid series for an upcoming con at the end of June.

So far, I've purchased a blonde wig and a light blue zentai suit. My plan is to paint the details onto the zentai suit with fabric paint.

From what I've gathered, the best way to go about this is to use the Jacquard brand of fabric paints combined with their no-heat fixative to paint on the details (while wearing the suit, of course).

Would this method be recommended, or is there another way to execute this that would be better suited for this particular cosplay?

Thank you!
Hi brightstorms

So, is this the cosplay you're tryting to do?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20110403230601 front

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/image...ge/MF10269.jpg back

If so, you could go the fabric paint route, but if your suit is spandex or strectch, then the paint won't take it as well. I learned that the hard way with some tights for my Sally cosplay. It still worked, but the tights still ride down from where the stitches were supposed to be.

So, another thing you can do is for the thin line on the suit, maybe go for a fabric marker and map the other shapes in. Do you know how to use an air brush? If so, you could very easily air brush the color if you needed to. The last resort is getting some fabric and create the designs and turning them into clean patches so you could sew them on.

I'm sorry if I wasn't any help. Next time, please provide reference pictures ahead of time so others won't have to try and figure out what help you need. Anyway, good luck to you

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 02:32 AM   #3
brightstorms

Hello!

You're definitely right about the reference photos. It was almost 5 am when I wrote that, so needless to say, I wasn't thinking straight, lol.

I'm trying to go for her original design, which I believe is this one: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...SamusBrawl.png

It is a stretchy suit (it's one of those zentai suits), so that's my biggest concern. The lines can be achieved with a fabric marker, but how would I go about the navy blue parts? I want to avoid seeing as much as possible since I know sewing stretchy material is a struggle.

Also, I have zero knowledge on how to airbrush.

Thanks for the reply!
brightstorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #4
Scunosi

For the large areas, you could get a custom zentai suit with the large color blocks already done by professionals, then add the lines yourself. Or maybe they could even do the finer details? I'm not sure.

Anyway, this place was linked in another thread and looks like they may be just what you need to avoid sewing as not only do they offer premade suits but also customs using reference photos. And if they can also do all the details that would prevent anything looking streaky if done with markers or paint. Since your con's coming up in just about a month though they may not have enough time, I would contact them to see how quickly they can make their custom orders.
KuroNekoCon-many years ago
Sakuracon-'13, '14, '15
PAX Prime-'10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Upcoming Conventions
PAX Prime-tickets got and hotel booked!

Upcoming Cosplays
Garnet-Steven Universe
Rose Quartz-Steven Universe
Fantasy kigurumi
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote