Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 228 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #1126
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesXXrawr View Post
I'm still fairly new to cosplaying around the Cincinnati area, and I'm a little stuck at the moment! I'm working on my second costume which is Kairi from KH 2. I just bought a Brother sewing machine last month (my first machine!) so I can start sewing bigger projects without hand sewing everything! Now for my problem, I can't get the pattern for her dress right! Big shocker huh!
I have a hot pink fabric with a bit of stretch width wise. I decided with hot pink because I'm not a big fan of her light pink dress. I just don't like light pink. Right now it's a folded square of pink lol. If anyone has any advice or has made kairi's dress before any pointers would help me out greatly!
Here's a reference picture for those who haven't played kingdom hearts 2.
http://images.wikia.com/kingdomheart...2!KairiKH2.png
Here's what I did (mine isn't done but still)
Fine a pattern for princess seams. That will give it the the 2 seams you need for the zippers on the front sides. Then you just cut up the center for the front zipper. Obviously when cutting the fabric from the pattern now you will need more on the center to make way for the zipper and the fabric you loose in it's place. I already had a pattern made for my size for a princess seamed full covering top, I just trace and alter.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #1127
PrettyKitty13
Kitty Power! Mew!

Hi, I'm looking for a tutorial on how to make a demon, devil, or mouse tail.
I am trying to replicate Kurumu's purple tail:

I'm possibly looking for something I can paint, or at least make out of fabric. I can't sew too well, but I'm okay with an easy enough job.

Future Cons

Roc-Con '14
RetroGameCon '14

Future Cosplays

Wendy O. Koopa - Super Mario Bros. ~ Complete!
Kurumu Kurono - Rosario + Vampire
PrettyKitty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #1128
Kage Tsuki

Cosplay Pattern Help

Hello everyone. I'm a long time cosplayer, but recently I just started getting into sewing my own cosplays and making my own props. I'm working with a friend on some cosplays, but we are having trouble making patterns for the cosplay ideas we have. I've taken the reigns on making the patterns but this is the first time I ever attempted to design a pattern for a female. I'm reaching out to the community. Can anyone help me or help guide me in coming up with pattern designs for two cosplays? I'll attach the photos in this post. Thank you all in advance.

Kage

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Male Flygon.jpg (31.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Female Flygon.jpg (117.9 KB, 0 views)
Kage Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #1129
jrhall22

I REALLY need help making Lightning's boots from FFXIII. I've seen several pictures of people who have made them, but no solid details. I found a pair of leather boots that are the perfect shape and tried to spray paint them using tape to cover the areas I wanted to protect. But the spray paint ran, dried with lumps and is now cracking and chipping all over the place. Not to mention, the boot looks like CRAP now. Is there a way that I could cover the whole thing with craft foam, cut in the shapes I need? And if so, what would I use to glue it onto the boots? I typically use hot glue on everything, but I'm afraid it would make lumps under the foam. All Suggestions appreciated! I need these done in 2 weeks.
jrhall22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #1130
RurouniKarly
RurouniKarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhall22 View Post
I REALLY need help making Lightning's boots from FFXIII. I've seen several pictures of people who have made them, but no solid details. I found a pair of leather boots that are the perfect shape and tried to spray paint them using tape to cover the areas I wanted to protect. But the spray paint ran, dried with lumps and is now cracking and chipping all over the place. Not to mention, the boot looks like CRAP now. Is there a way that I could cover the whole thing with craft foam, cut in the shapes I need? And if so, what would I use to glue it onto the boots? I typically use hot glue on everything, but I'm afraid it would make lumps under the foam. All Suggestions appreciated! I need these done in 2 weeks.
I think paint is still your best bet, but not spray paint. Here's some information on painting on leather shoes.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...leather-shoes/

Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin) 2007
Hinata Hyuga (Naruto) 2008
Freya (Chobits) 2009
Kushina Uzumaki (Naruto) 2009
Awakened Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight) 2009
Kushina Uzumaki: Anime Version (Naruto) 2010
Ciel Phantomhive: Ball Gown (Kuroshitsuji) 2011
Holo (Spice and Wolf) 2014
Sona (League of Legends) Planned
Asuna (Sword Art Online) Planned
RurouniKarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #1131
RurouniKarly
RurouniKarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage Tsuki View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a long time cosplayer, but recently I just started getting into sewing my own cosplays and making my own props. I'm working with a friend on some cosplays, but we are having trouble making patterns for the cosplay ideas we have. I've taken the reigns on making the patterns but this is the first time I ever attempted to design a pattern for a female. I'm reaching out to the community. Can anyone help me or help guide me in coming up with pattern designs for two cosplays? I'll attach the photos in this post. Thank you all in advance.

Kage

Are you wanting to draft patterns form scratch, or alter store bought patterns? Drafting patterns from scratch is much harder than altering if you don't have much experience with sewing or costume construction.

Freya (Chobits) 2009
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #1132
Kage Tsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniKarly View Post
Are you wanting to draft patterns form scratch, or alter store bought patterns? Drafting patterns from scratch is much harder than altering if you don't have much experience with sewing or costume construction.
I am willing to work with either altering existing patterns or drafting from scratch. The male flygon I'm aiming to have done by April. The female flygon would like to be done by the same time, but doesn't have to be. This is a duo we're planning to show off in the fall of next year.
Unread 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #1133
Yukimon

Hello, i was searching but not finding a tutorial that helped me out
I want to build a Staff from World of Warcraft. I was thinking of using a broom staff as the core, but i need to divide the staff in half since i need to put it into a suitcase for the flight to Blizzcon. And that is the main thing i don't know how to do it

i post an image of the staff i want to build here. I have an idea for the bottle already, i want to build it out of foam. So if someone could give me a hint, how to build this one, without using wood (need to get through the controls at the airports ^^,) i would be happy.

b66e6abb227dc0e6323cf236eeb31340367d0e67a1753d10a0f0c0d2e0aada1b-small.jpg

current Projects: Alicia Rue - Sword Art Online
Pandaren Monk - WoW
Yukimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #1134
RurouniKarly
RurouniKarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukimon View Post
Hello, i was searching but not finding a tutorial that helped me out
I want to build a Staff from World of Warcraft. I was thinking of using a broom staff as the core, but i need to divide the staff in half since i need to put it into a suitcase for the flight to Blizzcon. And that is the main thing i don't know how to do it

i post an image of the staff i want to build here. I have an idea for the bottle already, i want to build it out of foam. So if someone could give me a hint, how to build this one, without using wood (need to get through the controls at the airports ^^,) i would be happy.

Attachment 42113
You could make the staff out of sections of PVC pipe and have them screw together. Kamui Cosplay sells an ebook on prop making for $5 that has a lot of good information about constructing props in ways that break down well for travel. I learned a TON about making props from that book and I would recommend it.

http://kamuicosplay.storenvy.com/col...of-prop-making

Freya (Chobits) 2009
Unread 07-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #1135
RurouniKarly
RurouniKarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage Tsuki View Post
I am willing to work with either altering existing patterns or drafting from scratch. The male flygon I'm aiming to have done by April. The female flygon would like to be done by the same time, but doesn't have to be. This is a duo we're planning to show off in the fall of next year.
For altering patterns, you can go through the websites of the major pattern publishers (Simplicity, McCall, Butterick, Burda, Vogue) and find patterns that resemble the pieces you want to make. For unusual costume pieces, look for patterns that have the main elements you need for that piece, like a similar collar, sleeves, cut, shape, etc.

For example, you could use Simplicity 1948 and Simplicity 1328 for the male flygon. The pant pattern you can alter by omitting the zippers and adding large exterior pockets. The jacket shirt pattern could be altered by changing the collar and using a zipper for the front closure instead of buttons.

For the female flagon coat you could start with something like Simplicity 1732 and change the collar, edit the front panels so it's open in the front, and remove some of the more flamboyant details of the base pattern, or use something like Simplicity 2447 and leave off the lower front panels, extend the bottom panels to ankle length, and draft your own collar. The skirt looks like a simple knife pleat skirt like Simplicity 3689.

Look at your reference images carefully, decide what design elements you want a pattern for, and find patterns with those elements. You can also mix and match patterns by taking sleeves from one pattern and sticking them on the yoke and body of another.

If you want to try drafting specific elements like collars or sleeves, or even the entire pattern, here's some basic information on pattern drafting.

Freya (Chobits) 2009
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #1136
Kage Tsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniKarly View Post
For altering patterns, you can go through the websites of the major pattern publishers (Simplicity, McCall, Butterick, Burda, Vogue) and find patterns that resemble the pieces you want to make. For unusual costume pieces, look for patterns that have the main elements you need for that piece, like a similar collar, sleeves, cut, shape, etc.

For example, you could use Simplicity 1948 and Simplicity 1328 for the male flygon. The pant pattern you can alter by omitting the zippers and adding large exterior pockets. The jacket shirt pattern could be altered by changing the collar and using a zipper for the front closure instead of buttons.

For the female flagon coat you could start with something like Simplicity 1732 and change the collar, edit the front panels so it's open in the front, and remove some of the more flamboyant details of the base pattern, or use something like Simplicity 2447 and leave off the lower front panels, extend the bottom panels to ankle length, and draft your own collar. The skirt looks like a simple knife pleat skirt like Simplicity 3689.

Look at your reference images carefully, decide what design elements you want a pattern for, and find patterns with those elements. You can also mix and match patterns by taking sleeves from one pattern and sticking them on the yoke and body of another.

If you want to try drafting specific elements like collars or sleeves, or even the entire pattern, here's some basic information on pattern drafting.
Thank you for the help ^^ I'm gonna give these a try. Thank goodness I have the time for trial and error.
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #1137
Cosplay_Kouhai

Hey everyone! Im gonna be cosplaying Jinx from League of Legends and i wanna make her weapon "zap" which has a glowing blue section.
im curious if there is a somewhat simple way to do this!
sorry for the bad pic!
Cosplay_Kouhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #1138
vaporeon29

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to make a Vaporeon tail and if possible the fins. this is the first time i'm making the full cosplay and i could really use some help

*Vaporeon (Pokemon)

Cosplays Done:

*Anna Coronation dress (Frozen)
*Anna Main outfit (Frozen)
*Lucy (Fairy Tail)
*Hunny (Ouran High School Host Club)
*Alice (Alice in Wonderland)
*Liz (Soul Eater)
*Ash (Pokemon)
*Haruhu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
vaporeon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #1139
RurouniKarly
RurouniKarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosplay_Kouhai View Post
Hey everyone! Im gonna be cosplaying Jinx from League of Legends and i wanna make her weapon "zap" which has a glowing blue section.
im curious if there is a somewhat simple way to do this!
sorry for the bad pic!
You could use El Wire for that. It comes as wire, tape, or panels.

Freya (Chobits) 2009
Unread 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #1140
rayysmith
MUA with the big boobs.

I need to make something similar to the top posted below, but due to my tight budget, I'd prefer to use things/clothes I already have at home. I'm also not a sew'er so I can't just buy fabric and create something from a pattern. Any ideas of items I can buy from a store/thrift store to create a similar product?

Also if you know how I can make similar boots.

rayysmith is offline   Reply With Quote