Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

The Generic Protagonist Workout AKA the easy beginners workout.

Budget level: $30 at the most

Essential Equipment : A simple pullup bar. you can get one of these at a walmart for $20. make sure its the type that hangs on the door, and not the type that pushes against the sides of the doorframe. A pillow, some good shoes are also recommended. if you are really stiff on the budget, Try doing this for you pullups:

Optional Equipment : Jump rope, a fitness mat, egg timer

Difficulty: 3/10 Hard at first ( when you begin exercising, everything feels hard ), but within two weeks will get easier.

The generic protagonist workout is designed to be made for those who are just getting stared and are looking to cosplay your basic character. Its not designed to give you big muscles or anything just slim you down into that simple character with a petite figure.

The workout will range anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour a day, It all of course varies on your pacing, and is important I stress you take your time when exercising. I suggest you do these exercises earlier in the day for better results.

Workouts will be split up into 2 different parts, switching between the two every day. Workout A will be a simple full body resistance based exercise and will build muscle to burn fat. HEY! DON'T CLICK OUT OF THIS YET LADIES! >:C I promise this wont turn you into a muscular freak. Muscle building will burn fat off you better then cardio alone. Moreover to get the kinda of freakish sized muscles your thinking about requires a lot of testosterone. Now where was I? Oh yes, Workout B is strictly cardio. This helps your overall endurance heart rate and helps with toning.

Terminology:

Reps: The number of times you do a particular move.

Example: I did 30 reps of pushups means I did a pushup 30 times in a row.

Sets: a group of reps. when you finish a set of reps, you will want to rest at least 30 seconds.

Modify: letting you do the exercise in a more simpler way if cannot do/complete the exercise in the typical fashion.

Example: 3 sets of 15 rep pullups = 15 pullups, rest 30 seconds, another 15 pullups, rest 30 seconds, final 15 pullups. on the final set you will want to rest 60 secinds.

Superset: A group of exercises formed as one large set.

Workout A

Warm up - you will have to follow this video for now until I find a better one. The generic rule you want to do is 30 seconds for each move.

Pushups: 1 set of 15-30 reps more is better.

If you cant finish your set Try to do them modified. if you have wrist issues, this is where your pullup bar comes in really handy.

Pullups: 1 set of 8-10 reps. Modifying this is ESSENTIAL! when you get good at them, stop modifying, and do them right!

Squats 1: set of 50 reps. plain and simple. your legs already do a lot of lifting, so giving them this, wont nearly be as taxing as pushups and everything else.

Dips: 1 set of 30 reps. To modify, bring your feet closer to your knees.

Repeat all moves save for warm up another 4 times as a superset. :O I know I know but if you want results you have to.

Finally you can cool down and stretch. Just do a little bit of light jogging, followed by light swinging of the arms and legs for a couple of minutes.

Congratulations you survived Workout A

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 05-06-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Kasinator
Not quite human

Workout B is a lot more simple and strait forward.

Warm Up: Follow the above video once again.

After the warmup all you need to do is 30 minutes of good cardio.

I suggest jumping rope if you are afraid of outside. :P

When your 30 minutes are up, just cool down and stretch doing light swinging with your legs.

After this, all you have to do is ab training. This is where I REALLY stress using a pillow and comfortable clothing. DO NOT WEAR JEANS DOING THIS!

Ab video

Workout Schedule

Day 1: Workout A

Day 2: Workout B

Day 3: Workout A

Day 4: Workout B

Day 5: Workout A

Day 6: Workout B

Day 7: Rest

Remember the Absolute most important thing is to eat right when losing weight. I will soon be posting a nutrition guide for people to follow hopefully soon. remember to consult docs and remember I am not a professional or anything. I just know my stuff, and lost my weight doing these things.

Also keep in mind soreness at first is inevitable. Your body is doing more work than it has done in a very long time. when you become consistent the soreness will go away.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.

Last edited by Kasinator : 08-01-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
F. Silverberg

This is an excellent beginner's workout, except, most true beginners will not be able to do anything except sloppy pushups, and squats in the resistance portion, lol. Modifying, as you mentioned, is absolutely vital, and not being able to do 15+ reps is fine, especially if you are a beginner or haven't been doing this for a long time.

I had my older sister do a similar routine, and while she still can not do a true pullup to this day (any variant, unmodified), she has lost 10 lbs in just a few months and looks better now than she has at any point of her life.

Of course, this is all meaningless if you do not sleep and eat like crap. Good eating is a must.
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Silverberg View Post
This is an excellent beginner's workout, except, most true beginners will not be able to do anything except sloppy pushups, and squats in the resistance portion, lol. Modifying, as you mentioned, is absolutely vital, and not being able to do 15+ reps is fine, especially if you are a beginner or haven't been doing this for a long time.

I had my older sister do a similar routine, and while she still can not do a true pullup to this day (any variant, unmodified), she has lost 10 lbs in just a few months and looks better now than she has at any point of her life.

Of course, this is all meaningless if you do not sleep and eat like crap. Good eating is a must.
Good to hear from you F. Silverberg!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
F. Silverberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
Good to hear from you F. Silverberg!
Thanks, I was surprised that they made their own sub-forum for this, the other threads in general chat were getting too convoluted to really do any good.

Going by your user pic, it seems like you're in better shape than me now, that's good to see.
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Awai_chan
of the Lucid Waters

Thank goodness for you T-T This is extremely helpful to many of us~!

I hope to see the nutritional page up soon~
Ariel(Park Dress)

2013 Con List
MechaCon IX (August 23-25)

Awai_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

You're welcome!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

Hoping to talk my parents in to taking me to the store to get a pullup bar. XD (Or I may just walk there, good exercise, though it's very hot.)

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Kasinator
Not quite human

I am sorry I have to bump this thread because people dont seem to know it exists. seriously feel free to post here everyone!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

I got a pull-up bar! ^^;l (Pull ups are haaaaaard!)

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
kitsch_brigade

I tried workout a tonight. I only got through 2 and a half supersets before I felt sick like I was going to vomit. :/ Any input on what I did wrong? I think it's a good workout as it took a lot of doing for those first sets, but I hope that doesn't happen when I try on Saturday.
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
Kasinator
Not quite human

the first time is always the hardest. I recommend going to failure before you hit a number and to modify if possible. eventually you can adapt.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Chihaku
Master of Mana

OK I think I'll give this a try because I have done workouts on the TV for 2 months and nothing happened at all. I just have 1 question. For Exercise A, are you saying you do all the exercises in 4 loops? The way you said it kind of confuses me since this is a "Beginners workout."
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Kasinator
Not quite human

yes four loops. I say beginners because it is more modifiable than the other exercises. So if yo are doing absolutely terrible with the workout, you can switch to a modified version of the exercise and slowly build your endurance. remember also that diet significantly increases the weight loss factor as I am sure everyone is aware. I hope this answered your question!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Chihaku
Master of Mana

Yes this does. Thank you! ^^

I tried to make water bottle weights except they broke within 5 minutes which was terrible... Oh well, when my birthday comes in a week I'll get money and I'll go out and get real weights.

EDIT: OK I just tried to do pullups and sadly I have no pullup bar but I do have a swing set, however it is rusty and so shaky, that I think I'll just break it while doing pullups... I guess I can't do this workout until I get a pullup bar... T_T

Last edited by Chihaku : 08-14-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Chihaku is offline   Reply With Quote