Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 12-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Question **Removed**/FanPlusFriend?

Hello, Recently I've wanted to cosplay Sieglinde Sullivan from Kuroshitsuji ever since I saw ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam**** had her outfit up for commission (link). I've been unable to find many reviews on commissioned items however :\. The most I can say is that their newest Elizabeth costume that's also made of Satin looks nice to me. I've also emailed FanPlusFriend yesterday questioning if they would be able to make the costume. Though I haven't gotten a reply yet, I've noticed today that some of their dresses are a lot more pricier and that's now become a concern as well.

My question is, does ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam****.com commissioned items come out well? Or would FanPlusFriend be a better option if the commission won't be ridiculously expensive? If they can even do it that is.
iTanniKii is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Unfortunately since the link has been removed, the only option I am seeing is FanPlusFriend.
I have contacted them before and they are very sweet...but I've not received a quote from them about my piece(I am thinking they forgot!) but from what I have seen from other people here on the site, they are very reliable!
(The only thing is if you are going to go with FanPlusFriend, make sure that you get your EXACT measurements!)

Their prices honestly aren't that expensive unless you have a very low budget for this piece.
I am sure that if you asked any other commissioner for a quote on any outfit, even something thought to be simple, their price would likely run about what FPF is asking for for their cosplays due to hours of work put into the piece and materials.

Also, the dresses that you looked at are what they specialize in, I'm sure you know this but lolita-styled dresses are naturally expensive and honestly, their prices are pretty low considering that a lot of lolita dresses have a base price of like $400.

The costume that you are asking for is very detailed so I am sure that the quote they or anyone offering to do the commission for you will likely be on the high end of the scale.

An important question to answer here is: What is your budget for this costume?

Future Costume(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (In the process of commissioning)

Completed Costumes:
None right now!

Conventions I Attend/Will Be Attending:
*Animazement 2015

I also have a tumblr, click me to see!

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
Unfortunately since the link has been removed, the only option I am seeing is FanPlusFriend.
I have contacted them before and they are very sweet...but I've not received a quote from them about my piece(I am thinking they forgot!) but from what I have seen from other people here on the site, they are very reliable!
(The only thing is if you are going to go with FanPlusFriend, make sure that you get your EXACT measurements!)

Their prices honestly aren't that expensive unless you have a very low budget for this piece.
I am sure that if you asked any other commissioner for a quote on any outfit, even something thought to be simple, their price would likely run about what FPF is asking for for their cosplays due to hours of work put into the piece and materials.

Also, the dresses that you looked at are what they specialize in, I'm sure you know this but lolita-styled dresses are naturally expensive and honestly, their prices are pretty low considering that a lot of lolita dresses have a base price of like $400.

The costume that you are asking for is very detailed so I am sure that the quote they or anyone offering to do the commission for you will likely be on the high end of the scale.

An important question to answer here is: What is your budget for this costume?
Yeah...I tried to put it out, but I think it's pronounce Cosplay for Fun and it's basically spelled out Cosplay.f.u. without all the dots (not sure if this will come up anyway) ...As for budget, I'm not sure exactly yet. I'm not planning to get it for a couple months but so hopefully I'll save up a bit...but I think 400 would probably be my limit.
Unread 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

I've not personally ever dealt with that company so I'm not sure how reliable they may be.
Try going through the entire Review Thread, you may find someone that's bought something from them!

$400 sounds pretty reasonable, honestly!
I could see such a costume costing that much(hopefully with shipping included for your sake, ha ha!) so if you can save up that much and FPF doesn't reply, which I hope they do, let your commissioners know what your budget is and see if anything can be worked out.

Though, I definitely recommend going through the Commissioner Review 2.0 Thread at some point and trying to contact some people from there, there are plenty of good commissioners out there!

Personally, while looking at the type of dress that you are wanting, I would recommend Mrgnob's Cosplay and Fashion Workshop!
She is extremely sweet but she is Russian so her English may be a little hard to understand at some points of discussion so do be sure to include lots of reference images for her to see so there is miscommunication in what you are wanting.

The only thing is, I have her booked for literally all of next year with a costume we will be working on but you said you weren't planning to get the piece for a few months so waiting until 2016 may be out of the question unless you are willing to do so. :c
Again, she is wonderful and the products that she's made for herself/others are absolutely gorgeous, so if you are willing to wait, contact her and see if she would be willing to make that dress for you!

EDIT:
I went through the Thread a little bit and found reviews on Cosplayf.u.!
Here you go:
Click me!

From what is said in those reviews, they are reliable and their costumes are very good quality!

Future Costume(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (In the process of commissioning)

Completed Costumes:
None right now!

Conventions I Attend/Will Be Attending:
*Animazement 2015

I also have a tumblr, click me to see!

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 12-19-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
I've not personally ever dealt with that company so I'm not sure how reliable they may be.
Try going through the entire Review Thread, you may find someone that's bought something from them!

$400 sounds pretty reasonable, honestly!
I could see such a costume costing that much(hopefully with shipping included for your sake, ha ha!) so if you can save up that much and FPF doesn't reply, which I hope they do, let your commissioners know what your budget is and see if anything can be worked out.

Though, I definitely recommend going through the Commissioner Review 2.0 Thread at some point and trying to contact some people from there, there are plenty of good commissioners out there!

Personally, while looking at the type of dress that you are wanting, I would recommend Mrgnob's Cosplay and Fashion Workshop!
She is extremely sweet but she is Russian so her English may be a little hard to understand at some points of discussion so do be sure to include lots of reference images for her to see so there is miscommunication in what you are wanting.

The only thing is, I have her booked for literally all of next year with a costume we will be working on but you said you weren't planning to get the piece for a few months so waiting until 2016 may be out of the question unless you are willing to do so. :c
Again, she is wonderful and the products that she's made for herself/others are absolutely gorgeous, so if you are willing to wait, contact her and see if she would be willing to make that dress for you!

EDIT:
I went through the Thread a little bit and found reviews on Cosplayf.u.!
Here you go:
Click me!

From what is said in those reviews, they are reliable and their costumes are very good quality!
Mrgnob's costumes look so nice, but yeah...I'm hoping to get the costume by July since they'll be a four day con then. >.< And thank you for the links. I may end up going with ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam**** and submit additional reference images to them. I've emailed FPF about a month ago and still haven't gotten a reply...Not really sure if they're booked or not.
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
kittyxing

I have used cosplay.f.u before and I was pleased with their quality.

I ordered a Kairi dress from Kingdom Hearts 2 and asked that they changed the zippers to silver instead of the gold they had on the site. They did no problem.

However, the belt came with two pouches and when I ask that it only come with one and a strap, they did not do this. However, it was remedied by me buying a purse strap from Joannes and attaching it.

The dress was long so I have to pin it to shorten it and it's a bit see through since the fabric isn't lined.

Other than these issues, it's a very well made cosplay and I wear it quite often.

I've had better luck with cosplay.house in terms of quality and they do commissions. ( they are currently working on one for me actually. )

Hope this helps!
kittyxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

That site is your typical chinese wholesale site. No different than anything on ebay, or places like cosplaymagic, cosplayhouse, and so on..They are all Chinese warehouses that do NOT do commissions..They SAY they do, but they are lying..They don't see it as lying becasue technically you are paying them for an item they made..But what they don't tell you is that that one person didn't make it..Their warehouse made a crap ton on them and they just send out willy nilly..

Here's what they do (as well as all the other sites):
-You order your cosplay however the process is for the specific place.
-They get your money.-If you picked one of their standard sizes, they put it oin packaging and send it
-If you specified measurements, they will go "ok XL has a measurement close to the shirt measurement..Large has a measurement close to the measurements needed for the pants" and then they send those..
-You get it and hope it fits..

Nowhere in there do they commission..They say that so that they can take a long as hell time without getting in trouble for taking that long..None of those places makes any items after you send payment. They are pre made..I hope this helps with that one..

Fanplusfriend, on the other hand..They are a very reputable Lolita clothing/accessory site. I have never bought cosplay from them before, but I believe it too is also pre made, but they are much higher quality..They will be better about making sure you get things that are more closely sized right (As in I have a bigger waist, so cosplay wholesale sites send me things WAY bigger than I even tell them because they have no idea what they are doing, where fanplusfriend will try to make sure things are sized closer to what you asked for)
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote