Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Photo Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Smile Is this camera okay?

Hey, in october i will be doing my very cosplay at my 3rd con.
Deciding that i am going to have photos taken, i wanna know which camera is stutable. i own a Nikon D70S and was wondering if this is okay any anybody knows any tips that they use with this type?
KiraCosplayHai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

That camera should do just fine. Surely you can already tell just by using it :P

Since it's an SLR, all general camera and SLR advice (i.e., pretty much all the advice on this forum) is applicable.
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

DSLRs like the camera you choose, give you the advantage of using lenses that will give you wider control of the end result. If you want really wide lenses effects, you can use a 10mm-20mm lens. If you want backgrounds and forgrounds to be very out of focus, you can use lenses with very wide apertures like 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2, or 2.8. Super telephoto lenses will also be an interesting tool. They start around 200mm and can go up to around 1000mm if you really want to go extreme.

Your camera body will be better at shooting in low light than most smaller sensor cameras like the point-and-shoot cameras, so you can take more advantage of available light.

Being able to add a flash that can shoot in variable angles will also add many possibilities. If you point the flash at a nearby neutrally colored wall or ceiling, you can get soft, often very flattering portrait lighting. It will be even more useful to put that flash on a separate light stand with a tranciever system and bounce it into a an umbrella or diffuse it with a soft-box.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
That camera should do just fine. Surely you can already tell just by using it :P

Since it's an SLR, all general camera and SLR advice (i.e., pretty much all the advice on this forum) is applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
DSLRs like the camera you choose, give you the advantage of using lenses that will give you wider control of the end result. If you want really wide lenses effects, you can use a 10mm-20mm lens. If you want backgrounds and forgrounds to be very out of focus, you can use lenses with very wide apertures like 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2, or 2.8. Super telephoto lenses will also be an interesting tool. They start around 200mm and can go up to around 1000mm if you really want to go extreme.

Your camera body will be better at shooting in low light than most smaller sensor cameras like the point-and-shoot cameras, so you can take more advantage of available light.

Being able to add a flash that can shoot in variable angles will also add many possibilities. If you point the flash at a nearby neutrally colored wall or ceiling, you can get soft, often very flattering portrait lighting. It will be even more useful to put that flash on a separate light stand with a tranciever system and bounce it into a an umbrella or diffuse it with a soft-box.
thank you guys! i am new to DSLRs, so i am only getting to know the functions of it XD
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Since you already own it. Use it. I wouldn't buy it as its years old. I have the slightly older model of the same camera the D70. My advice is. Don't use the green AUTO if possible. Pick one of the scene modes. AUTO will flat out disable the ISO selection and if i recall you can't pick your focus point. My early days I crutched on scene modes because I learned how to use them to my advantage. If you only use A, S, M and maybe P modes you'll be able to transition to almost any camera afterwards.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Jim3535

The camera is definitely fine to use.

From your post, it's a bit unclear who will be using the camera. It sounded like you will be cosplaying and someone else will shoot you. Or, are you talking about shooting yourself?

If you aren't shooting yourself, finding a skilled operator will help a lot. The camera isn't going to telly you that you have a garbage can in the shot or the light would be much nicer if the model takes 3 steps to the right.
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post
The camera is definitely fine to use.

From your post, it's a bit unclear who will be using the camera. It sounded like you will be cosplaying and someone else will shoot you. Or, are you talking about shooting yourself?

If you aren't shooting yourself, finding a skilled operator will help a lot. The camera isn't going to telly you that you have a garbage can in the shot or the light would be much nicer if the model takes 3 steps to the right.
my firend is an amautuar(how do you spell it?!?) so she can take decent shot and stuff, but like i said first time using a DSLR. thanks for the help guys!
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Time flows without pause. In a world where I no longer exist, the future, is about to change. Serah, the truth still survives, but only you, renember it.
Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
roflwaffles
The Waffles are ROFLing!

This camera body is a hidden gem. Because it has a combined mechanical/electronic shutter it can sync to a external flash at higher than 1/250th unlike most modern cameras. I think its rated a 1/500th, but I've herd it can sync at much higher shutter speeds like 1/8000th. This is as good if not better then most modern PRO DSLRs out there just in that spec alone. If your ever choose to use Flash and go off camera your pretty much set with this beauty.
roflwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffles View Post
This camera body is a hidden gem. Because it has a combined mechanical/electronic shutter it can sync to a external flash at higher than 1/250th unlike most modern cameras. I think its rated a 1/500th, but I've herd it can sync at much higher shutter speeds like 1/8000th. This is as good if not better then most modern PRO DSLRs out there just in that spec alone. If your ever choose to use Flash and go off camera your pretty much set with this beauty.
thanks for the tip! we did some test shots, and the camera is excellent!! such great speed
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Time flows without pause. In a world where I no longer exist, the future, is about to change. Serah, the truth still survives, but only you, renember it.
Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.