Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

sewing machine review: Husqvarna Prelude 360

Name of Product: Husqvarna Prelude 360 (link to picture)
Where Purchased: sewing machine dealer
Product Description: This is a sewing machine made by a company that specializes in lawnmowers and chainsaws, and went into domestic appliances because they got tired of making guns. Sewing on this thing is like driving a tank: it's built to survive vinyl, craft foam, denim, fake fur, convention travel, and general maltreatment. It features durable construction, versatile stitch functions, and lots of little design features that make it extremely user-friendly.

Pros:
- Good for newbies. This was the machine I learned on, with no assistance beyond the instruction manual and the guidelines printed on the machine itself. There's directional arrows showing you how to thread it (bobbin included), it has recommendations for stitch length printed next to the stitch diagrams on the front of the machine, and because the parts are all metal you'll have a hard time breaking it if you do something wrong.
- Great bobbin design. The bobbin is top-loading and the machine picks up the thread automatically: you don't have to mess around with multiple parts or getting the threads looped together. The bobbin cover and the bobbin itself are clear, so you can see when you're going to run out of thread.
- It will sew through all kinds of weird crap: four layers of garment-weight vinyl, heavy fake fur, craft foam, caulked hair wefts, etc. Similarly, it wills sew sheers and light-weight fabrics without sucking them down into the bobbin casing.
- Free-standing arm: you can hem sleeves/pants legs on it, because there's a space between the base of the machine
and the surface you're working on.
- Comes with a hard protective case: you can bury it under a pile of crap when you're not using it, or stick it with the checked luggage under a bus. There's a handle on top of the machine that can be pulled up through the case, so it's easy to carry and travel with. Case also has a compartment for manuals/power cords.

Cons:
- It's kind of pricey, between $400-$500. If you don't intend to do a lot of sewing, you probably don't need something this expensive.
- Viking/Husqvarna is sort of an uncommon brand, so you might have a hard time finding someone to repair it if it breaks.

Overall Rating: 9 out of 10. More user-friendly than Juki/Singer machines, arguably more durable, but a big initial investment if you're not sure about your sewing career.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Medicine Seller v2 | Upcoming Cons: Brooklyn Sakura Matsuri, Otakon 2014 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

CG - I agree with everything in your review except:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
Viking/Husqvarna is sort of an uncommon brand, so you might have a hard time finding someone to repair it if it breaks.
Viking is one of the two major high-end brands (the other being Bernina). There may not be an authorized dealer right next-door to everyone (I live in a large city and the closest to me is 15 miles; there are 5 within 30 mi.), but any reliable sewing machine repair shop will be familiar with the brand. It should be noted though, all Vikings bought from an authorized dealer come with a 30-year warranty and you risk having the warranty voided if repairs are done by anyone other than an authorized dealer. However, if you've picked one up used without a transferable warranty, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a generic shop that can clean and/or repair it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
This is a sewing machine made by a company that specializes in lawnmowers and chainsaws, and went into domestic appliances because they got tired of making guns.
While perhaps true technically, I would add that Viking has been making sewing machines since the late 1800's so they do have a lot of experience specifically with sewing machines as well as outdoor power equipment! XD
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

I also think Viking is the umbrella corporation for the Pfaff (another high end and somewhat obscure brand which I own) and Singer ?? I'm not really sure. (hopefully the Singer quality improves under Viking if they are a part of the Umbrella)

I agree these machines are workhorses , slightly more expensive, but well worth it because of the service they come with, and general lack of problem. (Unlike the singers now)

On a radom note regarding the power tools.........My bf needed a new lawn mower, and he chose a Husqvarna without doing any research prior to buying one, all because he remembered how i was raving between a Husqvarna sewing machine vs. Pfaff (my top two picks). His logic: If they make crazy sewing machines, they make crazy lawn mowers, and purchased one the same day.

they do make crazy lawn mowers as well. it mowed through their jungle.
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Yes, Viking bought the Singer name a couple of years ago. You're probably right about Pfaff as well. (Umbrella corporation always makes me think of Resident Evil!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoganei1328 View Post
On a radom note regarding the power tools.........My bf needed a new lawn mower, and he chose a Husqvarna without doing any research prior to buying one, all because he remembered how i was raving between a Husqvarna sewing machine vs. Pfaff (my top two picks). His logic: If they make crazy sewing machines, they make crazy lawn mowers, and purchased one the same day.

they do make crazy lawn mowers as well. it mowed through their jungle.
That's hilarious! XD
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote