Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Cilene

MintyMix or Wig-supplier/L-Email?

I need a split wig for a certain cosplay (and to wear around quite often just for casual wear), but I'm in a bit of a split (haha. punny). These two have similar looking wigs, but the price is nearly double at MintyMix than it is at Wig-supplier... If anyone has tried these two brands, please help me out:

Is there any difference in quality or how easy it is to take care of?
If so, how big is the difference?
Do you think MintyMix is worth it?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Cilene : 05-24-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: i found a pun
Cilene is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

What colors were you going for? A lot of MintyMix wigs are sold out... Plus, Lolita Sets (base wig plus twin tail clips) are usually $46+. It's pretty normal unfortunately!

I can't attest to MintyMix quality just yet (I'm buying one of their split bob wigs soon) but I can tell you a little bit about L-Email due to various reviews/comparisons I've looked up in the past. L-Email wigs and Gothic Lolita Wigs (and Rockstar Wigs, Cosplay Wigs USA--all the same company -_- ) are relatively the same, for a lower price. They aren't exact duplicates of each other, but they're certainly not that different in terms of stock.

Many reviews of MintyMix have been positive; I don't think I've seen a negative one regarding the actual wig (just complaints about the packages being shipped out; people can be too demanding on a single person) and I do a lot of research before I buy anything. Honestly, you do pay a bit more for quality wigs and these sets are costly. Factoring in shipping can really boost up a price--this is where L-Email/Wig-Supplier makes up for their low prices.

L-Email is supposed to have nice fibers, but they're on the shiny side. MintyMix's fibers don't look terribly shiny. I do personally find my China wigs tangle a little easier than "local" (company or shop based in the US) wigs. All wigs will tangle, at some point or another; I just find my China wigs tangle easier/faster. x_x

In general, as someone who has a Lolita set--not from Minty or L-Email, they can be a bit tricky. You have to be careful with the curls and combing it, because the curls can fall flat. The base wig can be a bit thinner than other wigs. The clips make up for it be adding volume but this also adds weight. Cheaper wigs can have an issue with shedding and wefts showing due to the wig being too thin. Wefts tend to show the most on lighter colors, like blonde and cotton candy pink. Fluffing is necessary!

Have you checked shipping on L-Email vs MintyMix? And consider this: MintyMix is based in New Orleans, so it would arrive at your door faster than a China wig. In my experience, they take approximately 2 weeks to arrive. ALSO!! These wigs are kind of heavier than other wigs, so that can boost up your shipping from China. I paid rather painfully for a wig grab-bag from a US company and they only had one shipping option; the shop has since changed their shipping options so shipping isn't so painfully high.

Hopefully this helped you out.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.

Last edited by spookehdoom : 05-27-2014 at 12:35 AM.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote