Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
pinapplegum
Laughter is contagious :)

Exclamation How can I get an hourglass figure?

I know losing weight has a lot to do with it, but I also suspect there might be certain muscles you can tone to create a more hourglass shape.

I say this because in every belly dancing video I have ever seen, all the women have gorgeous hourglasses. Does anybody know if bellydancing or another type of workout can help create this figure?

I'm 100% okay with my body as it is, but it would help me in cosplaying.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0312933&type=3
pinapplegum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
fadedsunrise02

I thought whether one had hourglass proportions was in the end, genetic? ^^;;

I mean, when hourglasses gain weight, they mostly end up being bigger hourglasses.

Losing weight has to do with thinning your waist, but its more important to lose fat-especially if you're like me and horde 80% of your fat in your midsection.
fadedsunrise02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

You can tone your body out as much as you want, but it also depends on your bone structure. Hips and the such help with the hourglass figure and that's obviously something that can't just be easily fixed. I know a lot of girls who are thin but still don't have that "hourglass" shape to them. I'm 102lbs and I *barely* have one .

Also keep in mind they aren't going to have someone in those belly dancing videos that isn't some sort of "perfect." It wouldn't be "motivational" if they had girls dancing with no curves.

But my advise is to just keep working out and eat healthy. Those dancing videos are actually fantastic because they tend to work so much of your body, and (in my opinion) is much more fun then going to a gym and worrying about leaning on someone else's sweat *twitch* Although, I can't go to the gym alone, I feel all... weird. But sometimes my boyfriend will tag along for a run or something and it's much more entertaining.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012

Last edited by Makira : 07-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Kasinator
Not quite human

as long as you understand that important rule of working everything else, you are already on the right track! From there you just need to do A LOT of squats, pushups, pullups. twisting situps are important too. and of course a lot of cardio.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Emrys

I don't think there are any exercises you can do to get a certain shape, mostly having to do with genetics and your current fitness level. BTW, I knew a girl who did belly dancing, but she was pretty much the same girth around her waist as her hips...

I'm assuming you're asking this b/c you plan on doing a midriff showing cosplay where you can't use slimming undergarments? Belts and skirts can accentuate the hips, but if you are hoping to "shape up" to that figure you won't go anywhere unless you lose weight all over (or gain some weight and muscle or add padding if you are underweight - you never really specified, but people tend to assume someone wants to slim down rather than bulk up).
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Don't forget that the bellydance costume is engineered to exaggerate the hips and bust, which helps to make the waist look narrower. You may be seeing more hip than the dancers actually have. (Makira is also spot-on. The video producers would have chosen dancers with the ideal bellydance shape, and most people are not built that way. Bone structure is definitely a factor.)

Bellydancing is a good workout and it's fun, but it sounds like a two-prong approach might be useful to you. When you're making a costume, do what the bellydancers do--use your clothing to emphasize your shoulders or bust and your hips. Everything between them will look smaller. It's a trick that fashionable women and men have been using for centuries.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 07-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

You can hourglass to a certain extent by building certain muscles while letting other ones shrink.

starting top down, you want a slim neck so you avoid working out the traps in your neck. You still need shoulders to build the top of the hourglass so you need larger deltoid muscles, which are outer shoulders.

Then you need to taper your upper body into kind of an inverted triangle, so your lats will need to grow. These are typically used in pulldown type workouts. Your chest also needs to be brought upward so incline press type workouts help too.

Your waistline needs to slim down so you actually avoid the crunches, oblique stabilizer muscles, and the lower back exercises to shrink this area down. A lot of body fat reduction also comes into play here too.

Your hips, you can build up the hip area by performing squats, one leg squats are also good for filling in the hamstrings and the upper glutes to pull your butt upward for less sag. Then theirs the abductor and adductor machines which are good for building the stabilizer muscles that wrap around your upper part of your legs to sort of flare out your thighs.

I explain stuff in more detail here Link
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
pinapplegum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDPepper View Post
You can hourglass to a certain extent by building certain muscles while letting other ones shrink.

starting top down, you want a slim neck so you avoid working out the traps in your neck. You still need shoulders to build the top of the hourglass so you need larger deltoid muscles, which are outer shoulders.

Then you need to taper your upper body into kind of an inverted triangle, so your lats will need to grow. These are typically used in pulldown type workouts. Your chest also needs to be brought upward so incline press type workouts help too.

Your waistline needs to slim down so you actually avoid the crunches, oblique stabilizer muscles, and the lower back exercises to shrink this area down. A lot of body fat reduction also comes into play here too.

Your hips, you can build up the hip area by performing squats, one leg squats are also good for filling in the hamstrings and the upper glutes to pull your butt upward for less sag. Then theirs the abductor and adductor machines which are good for building the stabilizer muscles that wrap around your upper part of your legs to sort of flare out your thighs.

I explain stuff in more detail here Link
Perfect! Just what I was looking for~

Unread 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Depending on the costume - you can also enhance the hourglass shape with some undergarments - a well padded push up bra or some extra padding in the hips.

Good posture also helps (anyone) a lot. Make sure to stand straight with your shoulders back and tuck the tummy in a bit.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Sailor♥Lolita
OOOO its shiny!!XD

corsets will give you that hour glass figure and get real ones not those cheap button ones
Sailor♥Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
pinapplegum

Corsets. Hm, good idea. Why didn't I think of that before???

Unread 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Mariks_Dragon
Distroyer of Yami

I think you haft to have the portions to have an hourglass shape

Goddess from Speed Grapher

Szayel Aporro Granz Released from Bleach
Mariks_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Do side bends.
Arm over head with hand pretending you have a top hat on to "hold it" and bend as far as you can.
Repeat on the other side.

It narrows down your waist and feels good, and works! :} Do it every day and you'll start to see improvements.

Also the perfect, "hourglass" shape, has the same measurements in bust and hips with a tinier waist. And an hourglass shape can be found on any body. See glamour magazine/glamour.com models! They include full figured women

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
Do side bends.
Arm over head with hand pretending you have a top hat on to "hold it" and bend as far as you can.
Repeat on the other side.

It narrows down your waist and feels good, and works! :} Do it every day and you'll start to see improvements.

Also the perfect, "hourglass" shape, has the same measurements in bust and hips with a tinier waist. And an hourglass shape can be found on any body. See glamour magazine/glamour.com models! They include full figured women
Actually you exercise a muscle to make it bigger, not smaller. So the side bends will build up mostly the oblique muscles and expand the waist around where the obliques are. But I'm guessing for women, they want the pinch of the hourglass centered between their shoulders and hips so, this places the pinch probably between the bellybutton and base of the rib cage. To build a smoother transition from hips to waist, the side raises may help a bit to lift the pinch point of the hourglass higher.

I personally don't do side raises though because i don't think i need to build up my obliques any more, but everyones shaped differently.
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Kasinator
Not quite human

Freehand jump squats and Split squats

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote