Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Steampunk Outfit help?

After a particularly informational session at a convention about SteamPunk, my friend and I started to develope some characters. I've come up with a pretty basic character and I'll add/change stuff later, but I've run into some problems. I have a start but everything is falling apart as far as her outfit. She's a grease monkey of sorts, her job is to work on an airship but she also has a dream to build the first completley steam-powered, self playing orchestra. Not very bright, lives in london so it does get cold, and the basic outfit I have for her is a blouse, pantaloons and gloves. That's where it falls apart. I've argued with myself about a vest or a corsette, adding a skirt or boots or...etc etc etc. I just don't know what to do.

She's a complete tomboy and needs to move around freely so she's not going full victorian dress, but I want her to still keep a bit of femininity (did I spell that right?).

So what I'm looking for as far as suggestions:
-wintery outfit?(I don't want to freeze to death at a con that takes place during winter)
-More than just lingerie(don't wanna walk around in my skivvies darlings)
-Any other suggestions that may pop up.
Sakurairis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
VerrinEleni

For your costume, I'd start by going off of what your character would actually wear. Is she a tomboy, meaning it takes a lot to get her into a dress? If so, then adding a skirt to your outfit may not work out for you. Also, work around functionality. It doesn't make sense for a mechanic to walk around in her working outfit with stiletto heels. Since you said this was for a winter con, maybe a jacket or coat will work better than (or with) a corset or vest.

If nothing else helps, then make the pieces you already have designed and then play around to see what looks the best with them. Drape a bit of fabric to see if a skirt works, or hold up a vest or jacket you already have to see if something of that shape or color complements the rest of your outfit. Laying it out will also help in seeing what type of shoes will work the best with the rest of the pieces.

As for your friend, having a character layout may help her (or you) design the outfit. Also, more of her preferences can help as well. For instance, is wearing a shorter skirt or breeches with a bustle and a fitted vest too feminine or restrictive to her? If so, you could go with something like full length trousers with a fitted shirt, jacket, and feminine accessories.
VerrinEleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
godmi

If you still want to have her keep a bit of femininity, I suggest adding a half skirt over whatever pants you choose. Adding a pinstriped half-skirt over leather (or faux leather) pants might look very badass. Adding lace in playful places would also help to suggest a softer side. But, as VerrinEleni said, make sure you keep it looking functional. It wouldn't make sense for her to wear heels that are too tall or skinny, so a chunky boot would look great.

A corset might be too restricting. However, you can always go with a waist-cincher. Wittles your waist, yet still allows you to breathe. A vest could work too, just make sure it's appropriately punk / steam. You wouldn't want it to look too new, so distressing it or adding unique details is a definite.

As for the winter part, I would definitely suggest at least one of those cute cropped jackets. They'll keep your arms warm, but if you have a cute top on, you would still be able to see it. Then you could have a nautical- or old-themed scarf on as well. Gloves are essential, even if they're just fingerless.

I hope I helped somehow. xD Have you thought of any props?
godmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmi View Post
If you still want to have her keep a bit of femininity, I suggest adding a half skirt over whatever pants you choose. Adding a pinstriped half-skirt over leather (or faux leather) pants might look very badass. Adding lace in playful places would also help to suggest a softer side. But, as VerrinEleni said, make sure you keep it looking functional. It wouldn't make sense for her to wear heels that are too tall or skinny, so a chunky boot would look great.

A corset might be too restricting. However, you can always go with a waist-cincher. Wittles your waist, yet still allows you to breathe. A vest could work too, just make sure it's appropriately punk / steam. You wouldn't want it to look too new, so distressing it or adding unique details is a definite.

As for the winter part, I would definitely suggest at least one of those cute cropped jackets. They'll keep your arms warm, but if you have a cute top on, you would still be able to see it. Then you could have a nautical- or old-themed scarf on as well. Gloves are essential, even if they're just fingerless.

I hope I helped somehow. xD Have you thought of any props?
I REALLY like your ideas <3. Especially the lace accents.

Thank you both so much for the help!

As for props, I'm going with toolbelt(tools included)and goggles. Also thick gloves.
Sakurairis is offline   Reply With Quote