Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Unread 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
x0fairies0x

Pattern for Lau

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern or something close to the outfit for Lau from Kuroshitsuji? I went to Joann's the other day and looked through all the pattern catalogs that they had but couldn't find anything. Any help would be great! Thanks!
x0fairies0x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
alterationsbyem

do you have a ref pic?
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

reference pic needed.

but I'd say look up a pattern for something similar to a kimono or a yukata.

maybe even a gi, for the sleeves on it.
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
x0fairies0x

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...7280588tt5.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ries0x/lao.jpg

Its hard to tell in the pictures, but there is a slit on the side of them kind of like a woman's cheongsam. When I was able to find real versions of these outfits they were listed as a man's long gown/robe; I can find plenty of them for sale.... just none that sell the pattern to make it.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Just off the top of my head, you might do okay with something like this or this from Folkwear as a base (I had a folkwear pattern and I must say, they are not the easiest to work with. Mine required a good bit of fiddling around)

You may also be able to modify something like McCalls M2940, but there aren't many good patterns around.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

This. You'll need to lengthen it, is all. I'm not sure if Lau ever wears a button-down-the-middle robe, but it should be recognizable anyway. Or the first one that Brsis linked to, which would need to be made narrower and less skirt-like at the bottom since Lau is a man, not a woman. (I don't suggest using the second one for this reason.) It's a pretty easy fix. Just get a yardstick and redraw the side seams going perpendicular to the hem, rather than angling out from the arm-pits. Make sure it's still wide enough to go over your hips.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
kira_murasaki

@garen
earm ... this says "add to card" ... do u mean we should byu the pattern?
kira_murasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Marika

Folkwear isn't a pattern you'll find in a JoAnns or other stores that I've seen, which means that if you want to use it, yep, you'd have to buy it.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Technically, Lau is wearing a chang pao which is pretty much the male counterpart to the qipao (ladies' dress). I ran into the same "lack of pattern" problem when making my Wei Zhijun costume which is quite similar to Lau's attire (to the point that I was going to use my pattern to make a Lau cosplay but decided to make another costume instead).

If you have any experience drafting your own patterns, it's quite simple to make your own chang pao pattern based off a cheongsam/qipao pattern sold at a stores like Joanns. I personally would stay away from kimono/karate gi type patterns because the collars are different and will require even more modifications to the pattern. I used McCalls 4369 but it should be noted that regardless of what pattern you use, it will likely never be the perfect "Lau" pattern and will require some modifications.

On my chang pao, I used the aforementioned pattern but made the front 2 pieces that overlapped, extended the sleeves to full length, left out the front darts, sewed on trimmings, and added hooks and eyes for closure as well as 2 ribbons on the inside to keep the inner panel in place across the body. I can add photos/examples if you are at all interested.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
x0fairies0x

@Ion ^_^ Thank you so much! I'm definitely interested in seeing any examples you have!
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Mkay, I threw together a quick tutorial on a very basic modification of a qipao pattern. I linked to a free online pattern and here is my quick picture tutorial on how to put on a chang pao.

Basically you just have to be willing to sketch things out until you get a result you're happy with, trim it leaving a seam allowance (or remember to do so when cutting your fabric), then go to town. Don't be afraid to use lots of paper for drafting or to make multiple attempts. It's better to mess up your pattern than your fabric. If you think you're done drafting but are nervous about using your nice fabric, make a mockup from muslin or some other inexpensive fabric.

I definitely suggest sticking to a manufacturer's pattern for certain areas of the garment like armholes and the tops of sleeves (you can lengthen or widen sleeve bottoms as much as you like). I hope this has helped a little and feel free to ask for clarification, my English is troubling me as of late.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
x0fairies0x

Thanks! It will help me out a lot!