Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Unread 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Batgirl_Cain
Batgirl

Batgirl/Cass Cain help and/or opinions?

So I'm all set to go to NY Comic Con in October, and much to the delight of my fellow comicbookers who have been nagging me, I'm going as Cassandra Cain!Batgirl. [My name's Cassandra, I'm half oriental on my mom's side, caucasian on my dad's, and my best friend is a silly, rambunctious blonde named Steph. 'nuff said.]

Okay, so since I'm kind of a noob at this full-costume making thing (I'm used to ordering parts and maybe making small things like vests), I'm going to need everybody's help! First of all, let me get you guys a reference picture or two:
Full body, kind of small, but decent
Nice cowl shot

I'm willing to spend quite a bit of money on this, but as I'm a poor college student, it won't be a huge budget. Handmaking a lot of this stuff should bring the cost down, yeah? But before I can do anything we have a few forks in the road.

FORK 1:What kind of material?
She's always referenced as wearing leather. A lot of costumes I've been have used the shiny, raincoaty PVC-looking leather stuff. I was considering a textured pleather, so it looks more like real leather. I was also thinking about using the shiny pleather, and using the textured for stuff like the boots, and the gauntlets.

FORK 2: Bodysuit vs 2-pieces
Two pieces would indefinitely make it easier to go to the bathroom, but a one piece might look better. I'm afraid of people seeing that it's two pieces, even if I do have a strategically placed utility belt. I kind of answered this for myself, but I just want a second opinion.

FORK 3: The cowl
This isn't really so much of a fork as it is a what-the-crap-am-I-doing type of situation. I don't even know where to start with this cowl. The original fork, is to cowl or not to cowl, but I really WANT a cowl to at least have the option of not wearing it because I don't want to, not because I don't have it.

FORK 3A: Cowl ears
Long or short? She's depicted as having both. Long, thin, and pointy is more popular.

All right, so think of this cowl kind of like Batman's cowl, with the mouth covered sewn up.
This is the base cowl, without the eyes and the mouth covered up [obviously]: clicky

Her eyes aren't really seen either, so whatever material I'm using to seal the mouth and eyes have to be breatheable, and a type of I-see-you-but-you-don't-see-me. I'm planning on making the main piece, the actual COWL part, out of the same material I'm using for the rest of the costume. I don't want it to look like the ears were an afterthought. Maybe plastic or cardboard reinforcement incorporated with it?

I'm sorry this is so long! ><

Here's the costume I SHOULD do. I'd just need myself and a pitcher of orange drink. xD
LOL
Annnddd....Me!

Thanks in advance to anybody who even peeks at this thread!

Last edited by Batgirl_Cain : 07-20-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Fix the links!
Batgirl_Cain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
That guy y'know

If you're willing to spend 300$, I found a full body Cassandra Cain batsuit and it looks mighty spiffy.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Batgirl_Cain
Batgirl

o:
Why yes, I may be /very/ interested in that.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
That guy y'know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl_Cain View Post
o:
Why yes, I may be /very/ interested in that.
Bleh, took me forever to find the site...

http://www.spandexwear.com/product.p...cat=265&page=1

I like to think the 'spiffiness' sold it.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Batgirl_Cain
Batgirl

Thank you! I'm not sure if I want to shell out quite /that/ much, but I'm highly considering it.
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
MafiaPrinceza

I'd get the one from Heroes in Tights. http://heroes-in-tights.com/ as it costs about HALF of the other one and looks awesome still. I've gotten lots of my stuff from the seller and he's really nice.
MafiaPrinceza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
BarfinRainbows

bump

I'm planning a Cassandra Cain cosplay too, so it'd be greatly appreciated if anyone could answer those questions =)
BarfinRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote