Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

"Is that your real hair?" stories

I thought this might be amusing. When I went to my first con cosplaying your very simple L ( My other cosplay wasn't finished in time due to budget reasons). I ordered my wig last second and ended up doing a quick Google search for the cheapest one I could find. I don't even remember the site. When I went to the con everyone honestly thought it was my legit hair! Go figure. So if I legitimately was not even trying, what about the people who worked their butts off for the perfect wig? Care to share your tales?

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Kerodohi
No longer active

I'm quite pale and vibrant colors look funny on me, so I used a more natural auburn color instead of a bright orange wig for my Neku cosplay. Everyone who commented asked how I'd gotten my 'hair' to stand up like that. Actually, there was a couple people who asked what products I used, so I told them I used got2b hairspray. They seemed befuddled by the fact that they had used the same hairspray (on their real hair, mind you) and yet couldn't get the same result! xD
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Ok here's a funny one.

A vendor at last years FaxExpo was complimenting my friend hair for Road Kamelot. She asked how long it took to get it to look like that and I replied "3 hour last night" since I had styles and eplained i used hair spray. She looked awestruck and then asked "But how did you sleep with it styled light like"

This is said wig.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2268172/ A very "blue" wig.

I glad my friend explained to her that it was a wig because I also most started laughing on the spot.

A well style natural coloured wig can fool most people that don't work with wig but Blue is just not natural.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Echosong

It's kind of ridiculous what happened to me. I was wearing my Axel wig, and then this guy is all like, "Is that your real hair?" ME: O.o No, it's a wig. Made my day though xD

Most likely attending : A-KON

Friday: Jack Skellington
Saturday: Mad Hatter
Sunday: Steampunk
Echosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Miss Miri
Human Pincushion

I was asked this about the wig I'm wearing in my icon, for Oz. I suppose this color's entirely possible, but...I don't know. It's weird. x) I was glad to be asked, though, since it meant my eyebrows didn't look terribly wonky with it.
Cornelia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Miss Miri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
RoseHanabira

This happened well before I knew what cosplaying even was, but a funny story nonetheless. I was one of those weird kids in highschool who dressed up for Halloween even when 90% of the student body thought it was "a kid thing to do." I got a typical vampire costume at the local Wal-Mart, along with a really short black party wig with red tips/highlights. I have dark brown/black hair naturally, at the time it was well past shoulder length. I went to school that Halloween and everybody had asked what possessed me to cut my hair like that (I was the quiet kid, to come in to school looking like one of the goths was a shocker)! It was quite fun getting that kind of attention and I considered wearing the wig for the next day just to mess with people. XD
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

First time I did a test run with my Kenshin wig, people that I know and had seen the day before asked if it was my real hair (which the day before had been red yes, but much, much shorter than waist-length). I had to point out to them that hair does not grow that fast.

And someone at Sakura Matsuri thought my Yukimura wig was my real hair, but that's kinda understandable.

Oddly enough, the only cosplay I do with my actual hair is Reno, which is also the only character I cosplay whose hair style involves silly amounts of spiky-ness. It's a bit of a nuisance to do every time.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Caerthakatha
North Italy Cosplayer

When I first tried on my wig I had my dad looking at me funny. He said it rather suited me and dared me to go out in public with it on. I saw friends at the shop and they asked me when I had my hair dyed, and then realised once I showed them the top of it. That surprised me because it doesn't match my eyebrows. And, to be honest, the lack of roots on the forehead bit should have been a bit of a sign, haha.

I suppose the colour of the wig isn't all that bad because I know somebody who has the same colour hair. Most of the time it just looks like I'm ginger. But it doesn't look all that convincing in bright sunlight (yeah, see my profile icon; it's shining away, there) but it must look more real when I'm indoors ...

Last edited by Caerthakatha : 07-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Caerthakatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Tragic_Prince
Rubber Ducky

oh gosh. walking around Vancouver just wearing my Miku Hatsune wig, because its easier to find my friends if we all have strange coloured hair. I had this cute little older couple sitting on the skytrain with me and i walked in and stopped for a second to retie my shoe, my bag was on the floor beside me. i stood up and leaned against the wall to wait for my stop, my music was on of course so i didnt hear them. i felt something moving against my shoulder, and this little old man was braiding one of my ponytail tip, and his wife was like, rubbing the other one against her face.

I was naturally horrified and confused so i politely took the ponytail ends back answering their questions about how it was so long, and how i got it that colour. after explaining i was a wig four times, they just couldn't grasp why i would wear a wig if i was not bald. I got questions about why it was so soft and if it was real. i just couldnt believe that they had been playing with my hair so easily, it was SO weird!

this is the wig in question btw.
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...cPrince_xX.jpg
Tragic_Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Caerthakatha
North Italy Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic_Prince View Post
oh gosh. walking around Vancouver just wearing my Miku Hatsune wig, because its easier to find my friends if we all have strange coloured hair. I had this cute little older couple sitting on the skytrain with me and i walked in and stopped for a second to retie my shoe, my bag was on the floor beside me. i stood up and leaned against the wall to wait for my stop, my music was on of course so i didnt hear them. i felt something moving against my shoulder, and this little old man was braiding one of my ponytail tip, and his wife was like, rubbing the other one against her face.

I was naturally horrified and confused so i politely took the ponytail ends back answering their questions about how it was so long, and how i got it that colour. after explaining i was a wig four times, they just couldn't grasp why i would wear a wig if i was not bald. I got questions about why it was so soft and if it was real. i just couldnt believe that they had been playing with my hair so easily, it was SO weird!

this is the wig in question btw.
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...cPrince_xX.jpg
That's just ... bizarre. I can understand being curious — it's a very pretty wig — but what sort of person just breaks social boundaries and does that to peoples' hair without asking? But this is an interesting experiment: part of me wants to get a wig similar to Miku or Luka's hair and see what reactions I get and whether other people are just willing to do that.

Would you have been less horrified if they had asked beforehand?
Caerthakatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
sakuralove

i get the polar opposite reaction all the time becuase i do use my real hair. i cosplay cardcaptor sakura and keep the short, oddly cut hairstyle yearround. people always walk up to me, think its a wig. then they ask where i got it and when someone tells them its real they pull one the long bits in the front. i have 2 long strands for lack of a better term in the front that are about 5 inches longer than the rest. i have know idea how many times i've had random people walk up to me and mess with them. i dont really mind though cause its all in good fun.
sakuralove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Tragic_Prince
Rubber Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerthakatha View Post
That's just ... bizarre. I can understand being curious — it's a very pretty wig — but what sort of person just breaks social boundaries and does that to peoples' hair without asking? But this is an interesting experiment: part of me wants to get a wig similar to Miku or Luka's hair and see what reactions I get and whether other people are just willing to do that.

Would you have been less horrified if they had asked beforehand?
actually yeah i wouldnt have minded that much if they had asked. I've had lots of people come up to me and ask if my hair was real and if they could touch it. ^^; the fact that they were in their eighties and german kept me from freaking out too badly. they were just curious so i wasnt that worried, it was just really weird to have that happen XD

Ysera - WOW
Earl grey-Kuroshitsuji
End!Wanderer- Shadow of the colossus
Lavi - D.Grey-Man
Ballgown!Fionna - Adventure Time

DeviantartCosplay.comKira Kira Rangers
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Tragic_Prince
Rubber Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuralove View Post
i get the polar opposite reaction all the time becuase i do use my real hair. i cosplay cardcaptor sakura and keep the short, oddly cut hairstyle yearround. people always walk up to me, think its a wig. then they ask where i got it and when someone tells them its real they pull one the long bits in the front. i have 2 long strands for lack of a better term in the front that are about 5 inches longer than the rest. i have know idea how many times i've had random people walk up to me and mess with them. i dont really mind though cause its all in good fun.
I did use my real hair for a Dino cosplay and people thought i was a man, it made me laugh. even some of my friends didnt recognize me cause i had just come home from a vacation out of country. i just couldnt stop laughing.

but yes, it didnt come out the colour i was shooting for but it came out a really Bright yellow... like... this really pretty golden colour, and people thought it was a wig. i had people pulling on it and the whole day was just highly amusing.

Ysera - WOW
Earl grey-Kuroshitsuji
End!Wanderer- Shadow of the colossus
Lavi - D.Grey-Man
Ballgown!Fionna - Adventure Time

DeviantartCosplay.comKira Kira Rangers
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I was coming back from a store to get some food one day while in my Sheryl Nome cosplay earlier this month at Anime Expo. I was stopped by a few people (mostly men) complimenting me on how beautiful my hair looked, but they were shocked when I told them it was a wig. Sheryl's hair color is by no way natural and I'm still baffled as to why they thought it was my real hair when to me it's obviously fake. XD I still don't get it to this day. Lol

The wig in question http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2467006/

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Estarose

I've never really worn any of my crazy wigs out in public outside of conventions. I sometimes where normal ones such as Yuna and Haruhi but my crazy ones like Miku and C.C. I never wear in public- mainly because they're long and tangle/ruin easily. However when I'm outside of a convention center i do get a lot of stares and questions from people. A lot of people love it though.

I can't wait till I get my Kallen wig in though. I might wear that one out :P

Last edited by Estarose : 07-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Estarose is offline   Reply With Quote