Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
cheerlubber

Wig Crisis - Re-Dye? (Rit?)

I'm doing a Cheetara cosplay: http://www.thundercats.ws/news/attac...1308313706.jpg

I tried out the FW Ink dying method because I didn't know how to mix sharpies to get the color I wanted, and because I read a lot of people saying they preferred it. They also said using the spray bottle method was best, instead of dunking it. Well, an hour and a half and 3.25 bottles of alcohol later (all we had in the house; I haven't gone to buy anymore yet), my long white wig is still left with white hairs, particularly on the crown area of the wig (I got a Jareth long from Arda). I tried separating some layers but it didn't seem to help much.

I'm still waiting for it to dry but I don't think it'll come out at all how I want it, and it also looks like it'll be streaky. I've read and watched tons of different FW dye tutorials so I figured I was doing it right but I'm not liking the results at all. I got Lemon Yellow ink and used very little to get a pale yellow shade, but it's looking a little too greenish in some areas, whereas I would want more of a warmer tint.

I'm thinking a dunk dye will give me better results. Could I dunk dye with the FW ink? Or should I just mix some Rit dye to achieve the color I want and dye it in that? I've seen how the Rit dye method can curl the wig, but at this point I'm almost thinking it would be less of a hassle to straighten it all out than try the FW method again. Any other suggestions on how to save this wig? I need it in a few days. xP
cheerlubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I personally had little luck with FW inks. If you go with the fabric dye method I recommend washing your wig out with clarifying shampoo first to stripe if of any partial colour.

The dye will stain both the fiber and acrylic but I find I best to reset the wig first so that you don't have a strange reaction with layering dye processes.
http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2...-with-rit.html

I wish that reboot wasn't canceled or finish off properly. >_<

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
cheerlubber

Where can I find some clarifying shampoo, and is it labeled as such? I notice you use a short wig in your tutorial. Would I have to tie my long Jareth wig to keep it more controlled and for less tangling? Also, I don't know if I have a pot big enough for such a long wig. Do you think the Rit dye will still be effective if I pour hot water into a 5gal bucket and dye my wig there?

Last edited by cheerlubber : 05-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
cheerlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

The cheapest one I've use is from Neutrogena. They're sold as either Anti-Residue or Clarifying in the name or some version of it.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/an...ortby=ourPicks

It does work in the bucket method but it does get as deep as shade without the content heat (the bucket cools down). So start with a dye the much darker then final shade you want like deep sienna brown and double up on the dye.

Lose tie the hair with ribbon. Like super loose so that the dye can saturate the fibers and not leave a dye ring. I've person done 60" wig lose and just coiled them into the bucket.

The boiling action in a pot is what cases tangles mostly.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote