Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #16
kyokyogirl
Wait...what?

*points at avatar* Oh yeah. I got asked if that was my real hair and "how on earth did you get it to stick up like that?!"

Cosplaying boys taught me how to be a girl
kyokyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

While at AnimeNEXT, I was cosplaying as Edward, and I was talking to one of the other FMA cosplayers from the shoot about my wig, and he was like, "Oh, that's a wig? I swear, it really looks like your real hair..." XD
People on DA are commenting that on my photos, too. Lulz.

AnimeNEXT 2011:
Judai Yuki - YuGiOh GX
WRGP!Bruno - YuGiOh 5Ds
Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist

My DeviantART: *click*
Saki Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
KafukaChanDesu
The Strongest

Once I was at a thing doing Go karts in my KONATA cosplay. (Blue hair...) I was wearing the wig and all.

So, in the go karts, you have to pull your hair back.

The guy goes, "Miss, could you please pull your hair back?"

How funny...
KafukaChanDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
BakanaChan
Qynn

My sister and I went to a anime meet up in or bright yellow Rin and Len wigs.
Someones mom there approached us and asked if it was our real hair.
We told it wasn't and all of a sudden we talked about them crawling around and latching to
brains and becoming our real hair or something? What the heck?

Ask me about wigs.
"You can't part the skin of a sausage,
Or a dad from his fond son and heir.
And you can't part the hair on a bald-headed man,
For there'll be no parting there." ~Billy Bennett
BakanaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
PsychoRooster

I also have a storyyyy. This was the first time I'd used an actual wig for cosplaying, and I bought it at the cheap wig store in our mall. Originally it was a fire engine red bob cut, but I styled it and cut it to look like Jack Spicer's hair. I wore the wig all three days at Metrocon, but during the saturday right after the zombie wars, I was extremely overheated. I went inside and a group of zombies followed me to make sure I was okay. One of them gave me a water bottle and I took off my wig to pour it on my head. When I took the wig off ( I had short maroon hair underneath) everyone reacted with 'THAT WAS A WIG?' and I laughed because yeah, it is. The entire bottom half of the back shows the wig netting - which you couldn't see with the costume on because the popped collar of the jacket hides it.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1486012/ <-- this was the wig and costume.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Mirai Noah
is a Newtype

I have had so many think that my brunette wig (the one in my icon) is my real hair. Then I go to adjust it and they freak out, lol XD
Fanime
Anime Expo
SacAnime Summer
Mirai Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've had commentary on my Sai wig- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2164944/
and in my Aoi wig (which I EPICALLY LOVE)- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2574753/big/

I got a lot of shocked "That's a WIG!?" in my Sai wig atthe convention. It was a cheap wig, yet I fooled at least six people that it was my natural colour. And on a bad hair day I wore it out once and ran into a neighbour, who fawned over my "awesome new hairstyle" and then was shocked when I said "Thanks, it's one of my wigs."
And in my Aoi wig, pretty much the same (it looks surprisingly natural for purple; it's a dark purple, so it's an easy-to-get colour with my own natural hair colour- I used to dye my hair deep purple too,'til they discontinued my preferred dye). I also scared my Mom.XD I emailed her a picture of me in the wig, still a bit long and not fully cut, and had her respond as "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR!?"
Oh, and one in my Zexion wig- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2325671/
I fooled my older cousin on Halloween. I walked into the nightclub he owned wearing it, and got a "HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?" from him. He was amazed that they made such high-quality wigs you could style to look so realistic.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

I was trying on my new wig when my sister called needing a ride; I hadn't showered yet that morning so my hair was kinda gross, and I figured no one would see me, so I just kept the wig on. It turned out one of her friends needed a ride too, and as soon as she saw me, she went "Oh my God, you dyed your hair! http://i26.tinypic.com/3322quq.jpg This is the wig in question.

I had my avatar up as my facebook profile picture for a while, and tons of people were saying how nice my hair looked that color. :|; I guess I have one of those skin tones that looks natural with a lot of colors.

And at Otakon last year, we'd changed out of our costumes to eat dinner since it was hella hot and humid out, but still had wigs on-- these girls, unattached to the convention, came by and talked to us about the con for a while and were very lovely people-- and then one of them turned to my sister, who was wearing a dark purple wig, and went "Oh my God, you dyed your hair purple for this???"

I think part of it is that the general public thinks wigs are either 1. party store or 2. for chemotherapy patients, so when they see someone wearing a nice quality wig that's a party store color, they assume it's someone's actual hair, even if it doesn't look quite natural.

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I've dyed my hair pink... Yes, my actual hair and I have gotten "Are you wearing a wig?"
"No, just my hair..."
"It's so bright!"
"Yeah..?"

haha. :} I didn't like how when I walked into Wal Mart kids and adults would point and stare like "Oh she's a satan worshiper" no, I'm not. You're just far too ignorant to step outside and see how normal it really is for people to have unnatural hair colors.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
HimeZelda
A Match Made in Hyrule

Some girl thought my TP Zelda wig was my real hair when I was at a panel. xD It was funny. Like hell I'd ever grow my hair THAT long. LOL

NYCC 2014:
Friday:Link and (Queen Version)Zelda from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
HimeZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #26
Sailmoon2012
Moe-Moe Kyun!

At San Japan: 3 earlier this month, I was wearing the wig in my avatar for my Teto Kasane cosplay. I got so many people asking me, "How did you get your hair like that?" "How long does it take for you to style your hair everyday to go out like that?" and "How many times did you have to bleach and dye your hair to get it that beautiful shade?" About half of the people asking me related questions tugged on the ringlets. It made me sad because I didn't want anything to happen to them, and I put a lot of effort in the styling of the wig. It irked me that people would just simply go up to me, and without permission, proceed to tug on the ringlets. D:

Anyway, back to topic. I just looked at them quizzically, and said that it was a wig. It is kinda obvious that it's a wig, since I've never really seen someone's hair like the wig, but I guess they thought it was my real hair since I had dyed my eyebrows the same color.

Next cons:
ACen
A-Kon
San Japan

Sailmoon2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I freaked out my boss one Halloween, since she couldn't figure out who the blonde woman was sitting at my desk, until I said good morning to her and she recognized my voice. I guess blonde hair just looks that natural on me. I was dressed as Alice from Alice in Wonderland and I had most of my office tell me how cute I looked, and how real the hair looked. Hehe.

Same costume, different experience - I wore my Alice costume to the movies on opening night of the new movie and since my wig was bothering me, I pulled it off just before the movie started. This little girl (maaaaaybe 5 or 6) sitting beside me looked like she was about to cry. I guess I shattered her illusion that I really was Alice. Oops?
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #28
LavenderCrimson

My hair is red, and I was wearing a black wig to a convention. I took of my wig in the bathroom to fix my wig cap, and the girl next to me asks, "why are you wearing a wig under another wig?" she didn't think my red hair was real. XD guess that's the reverse of the usual "thought it was real" situation, but I still thought it was pretty funny.
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Mi Feng

My friend bought 2 wigs exactly the same style as her hair.^^
One time I wore one of them. Took at picture for my deviantart and told everyone I dyed my hair, they all bought it. XD
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
Tragic_Prince
Rubber Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
I've dyed my hair pink... Yes, my actual hair and I have gotten "Are you wearing a wig?"
"No, just my hair..."
"It's so bright!"
"Yeah..?"

haha. :} I didn't like how when I walked into Wal Mart kids and adults would point and stare like "Oh she's a satan worshiper" no, I'm not. You're just far too ignorant to step outside and see how normal it really is for people to have unnatural hair colors.
i have this same problem. My hair is currently a bright pink as well, with the underside of my hair being a bright indigo blue. it literally looks like spiderman designed my hair. but yes...

I get weird looks all over the place. so i was having a REALLY bad day, i had someone throw a slushie at me because of my hair colour (no joke) i actually had some little girl (maybe five) stop me on the skytrain and she just looked at me a second. and i was like ready for her to start crying or her mom to call me a freak. But she smiled and was like 'i like your hair. wanna know why?' i was surprised so i was like. 'yeah im kinda curious why?' and she simply giggles and replies ' because pink is my favorite colour' and i was like MADE MY DAY gave her a high five and kept walking.

seriously, kid was SO cute.

Ysera - WOW
Earl grey-Kuroshitsuji
End!Wanderer- Shadow of the colossus
Lavi - D.Grey-Man
Ballgown!Fionna - Adventure Time

DeviantartCosplay.comKira Kira Rangers
Tragic_Prince is offline   Reply With Quote