Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #31
ExTurkValentine

Someone asked if my Axel wig was my real hair.....
ExTurkValentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #32
Echosong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTurkValentine View Post
Someone asked if my Axel wig was my real hair.....
This! What is it with people thinking it is our real hair? It's the farthest thing from normal, gravity abiding, hair.

Most likely attending : A-KON

Friday: Jack Skellington
Saturday: Mad Hatter
Sunday: Steampunk
Echosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #33
Pudding-chan

*Raises hand* I have stories!

One day, I went to my friend's house and tried on my friend's brand spanking new Hatsune Miku wig! Turns out, we didn't have the trim we needed to finish a costume, so we drove to the local fabric store to get some. I decided to wear the wig there because it was such a pain to put on that once I was wearing it, I didn't want to take it off (normally I wouldn't wear a wig out). So anyway, we got to the cash register, and the clerk there stared at me and was like "I'm so glad I got you at my register! I love your hair! It must have taken so much dye to get it that color!" I was like "uh.... thanks but this isn't my real hair..." She looked so disheartened to hear that.

Second story! My friend, the owner of the infamous Miku wig, and I went to a convention as Miku and Rin. I naturally have light blonde hair, so I usually reframe from wearing a wig for Rin. This dumb girl came up to us and asked, "Is that really your hair?" and tugged on Miku's pigtail. Then she asked me the same question and yanked on my hair!!! I was so surprised and then angry....
Venomania Gumi
Ponyo!

facebook
Pudding-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #34
Axelai
I'm Awesome

I wore a whit wig to school once. Everyone asked how i got my hair so light. It was so silly... the wig was considerably longer than my real hair XD

And another story: Everyone thought my Yoko wig was my real hair... it looked so natural! I had to explain there was no way my hair would ever be that long... haha

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #35
27XxJuDaImExX27
Iron Woman

Apparently everyone thinks my Chrome Dokuro wig is my real hair. It's a nice wig, with black fibers mixed in with the purple, so it looks more natural.
I went to the mail with some friends, and while they were doing something, a woman started talking to me; asking how I got my hair that color and style (zig-zag part down the middle and little pineapple tuft in the back). I just kind of played along and told her my mom was a hair stylist and did it for me. I think I freaked her out a bit when she saw me again with the wig off, because my hair is naturally dark brown and extremly curly.

I had a little reverse incident too. My friend cut my thigh length hair extremly short and had styled it to look like Marluxia's from Kingdom Hearts. I bleached and dyed it a few days later. It was during break, so no one from school had seen me, and when I went to class, everyone was like, "Holy crap, is that a wig?" It didn't exactly turn out the way it was supposed to; instead of being just cotton candy pink, it was a mix of pink, orange, and brown. Couple that with the fact that almost a foot of hair was cut off, and you can imagine the shock. For about a week everyone kept asking me if it was a wig. Some girl acutally grabbed my hair and yanked HARD on it, calling me a liar for saying it was my real hair. That damned dye job also earned me the nickname "Chocolate Fruit Smoothie" in my math class -___-;;;
27XxJuDaImExX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #36
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I almost forgot about this story. XD

I was at a cosplay.com gathering in my Rinoa cosplay (one in the avatar). Since I didn't have time to before I left, I was doing my make-up there at the park, but my wig kept getting in the way while I was trying to put my eyeliner and shadow on. It got on my nerves so bad, I went "I've about had it" and ripped the wig off my head and put it down ontop of my bag. The jaws of the guys around me dropped and their eyes went wide since they thought it was my real hair. XD My natural hair is just too long for Rinoa, so hooray for wigs. lol

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #37
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

I've gotten a lot of questions about my Zell wig because the hairline was so close-fitting it sort of went into my forehead, which made it look realistic. It's such a crazy color, though, so once people get close enough it's easy enough to figure out.

And oddly enough, I get a lot of compliments about my "Zorin wig". I used my real hair. x3

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
MDA
Destiny Productions

I've had a few times where my wigs have been mistaken for my real hair.

The first time was at Halloween 2008, everyone who didn't know beforehand all thought it was my real hair, and asked how long it took me to get it like that. This was for my Roxas wig.

I've also had my Nougami Neuro wig mistaken for my real hair, along with Articuno, Louise, Rider (don't know how, but it was), Riku, Vexen, Xigbar (the black of the wig blends with my natural hair a bit), and I don't know why but even Ansem got mistaken (when you can clearly see my real hair underneath xD)
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #39
xGenocyanide
Fangirl Lover;; <3

Ahh'. The very second time I had EVER cosplayed... Lmfao...
I was hanging with my friend Hannah who was also hanging out with a girl cosplaying as Orochimaru... She was cosplaying as Haku. So, anyways... It was the same orochimaru I saw at my very FIRST convention.
From the first time, to the second, I believed it was her real, own long black hair. And then way later on, time goes by, it's about an hour before the con ended, and suddenly she was all " Ohh man, it's hott in here. "
And she took it off. My jaw dropped, and I flipped out " That's not your real hair!?! "
" ... No. - Stare. ; "
" O______O ... Whoa... How'd you do that? "
And then Hannah was all " Can I try on your wig? ;D "
And yea... .__.; Bah'. Ridiculous. Rofl.
@Otakon!

http://icode-genocyanide.deviantart.com/ ;; Check out my DA sometime!<3
xGenocyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #40
Justke
..e__e

There was a "Wear Your Favorite Character Day" at school once, so I took the opportunity to be geeky and wore my Rhyme cosplay (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/152846/). EVERYONE (even those who knew I cosplayed) thought that I dyed my hair.... hahahaha. Even though my real hair is a lot shorter than the wig and dyeing it would kill my hair forever... it's weird because I always get strangers asking "is that your real hair?" on wigs that are blonde, disregarding my dark dark eyebrows and dark brown eyes hahahaha @____@ (though I guess that doesn't really make a difference since eyebrows are usually darker than a person's hair color.)

AX 2014∙ |Natsume Asako|Ouka|Clear|Sugawara Koushi|Araragi Tsukihi

Last edited by Justke : 07-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Justke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #41
Zechra
Warning: Do not feed.

It have happened me twice.

I was at a bookstore that arranged a Japan day complete with a cosplay competition, so I was wearing my Riku cosplay at the time. I was busy browsing the fantasy section when this girl shyly comes up to me and asks if it's my real hair. I just laughed and said no and that my hair probably would have died if I had bleached it so much it had gone white.

The other time was during a con and we were stuck waiting to get down the escalators after the ending ceremony, and suddenly I felt something tugging at my long blonde wig. I turned around and asked the girls behind me if it was fun pulling at my wig and one of them blurted out "Wig!? We thought it was your real hair!"

"Never steal a Square Enix boy's hair gel, people will get hurt!"
Zechra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #42
Lucid_Enigma

Halloween last year, Allen Walker. Idk why but all these people thought that I had naturally white hair O_o
I'm pretty sure I don't look THAT old. Also, on halloween, shouldn't people assume it was fake? XD but it was amusing to have all these people ask my how I bleached me hair and if it was my real hair.
2D (Stuart Pot) 100%

Lucid_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #43
Leachmix
Procastinating Cosplayer

I kinda have it backwards a bit for my last years last minute L cosplay...
"I'm sorry to say this, but that's a really bad looking wig." "... It's my actual hair..." "... Oh... Sorry... -walks away-" "T-T"

T-T
Leachmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #44
tlynnec

I'm one of those who gets the opposite question - I have natural straight knee-length brown hair, and I usually don't wear wigs for cosplay (see my avatar). I have people ask, "Where did you get that wig? It must have been expensive." all the time.

I put it all up in a gigantic flat bun (for lack of a better description) for my Miyaka / Suzaku no Miko cosplay last year, and no one would believe that it WASN'T a wig. ;P
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #45
pLusmizu

For Halloween 09 at my school I dressed up as Misa Amane. A lot of people thought my wig was real. This one girl said, "Oh, it's a wig? No wonder... I was wondering how you managed to grow your hair long and dye it blonde overnight." I found it quite funny, considering that my real hair is at my shoulders and my Misa wig falls down to the end of my back. And my math teacher said, "You dyed your hair?!?"
pLusmizu is offline   Reply With Quote