Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Closed Thread
Unread 09-24-2003, 12:45 AM   #1
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

What's the big deal on Man-Faye?

Yeah he's a guy wearing something a girl would wear and the pictures of him are kind of disturbing but what is the big deal? I've seen guys dressed as school girls all the time.

Does this mean my plans to dress up as Deedlit should be canceled since people will make a big deal even though girls crossplay all the time and technically it would be sexist not to let the guys dress up as their favorite female characters too?

Unread 09-24-2003, 01:01 AM   #2
RHIshida
lol internet

The problem with Man-Faye is less the fact that he is a guy cosplaying a female character and more the fact that he is not trying to do a good job of it, (he didn't shave.) I myself am a crossplayer and I don't find anything wrong with guys dressing as girls or vice-versa :P
Unread 09-24-2003, 01:07 AM   #3
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

The problem is how he did it. Talk about no decency whatsoever. :/
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Unread 09-24-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
BIOJECT

Shave ?

Oh so I need to SHAVE if I'm going to dress up as Deedlit?!! AAAAAGh! Last time I did something as stupid as that I had a rash for over a month! >.< Well... I guess if it is to make the appearance as good as possible then okay. My goal with the Deedlit costume is to make a version better than anyone has ever seen so when people notice that I'm a guy they will be too drawn in to the nice looking costume instead. lol yeah right. So as long as I make some kind of attempt to look like the character, long blonde wig, elven ears, sword, the full dress and shoulder pads, I am okay and people won't make a big deal?
Unread 09-24-2003, 01:47 AM   #5
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

You got that right!
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Unread 09-24-2003, 02:55 AM   #6
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
Oh so I need to SHAVE if I'm going to dress up as Deedlit?!! AAAAAGh! Last time I did something as stupid as that I had a rash for over a month! >.< Well... I guess if it is to make the appearance as good as possible then okay. My goal with the Deedlit costume is to make a version better than anyone has ever seen so when people notice that I'm a guy they will be too drawn in to the nice looking costume instead. lol yeah right. So as long as I make some kind of attempt to look like the character, long blonde wig, elven ears, sword, the full dress and shoulder pads, I am okay and people won't make a big deal?
Shave if your legs & armpits are visible - you don't want an un-Deedlit-like pelt. Women shave their legs all the time - maybe if you use their products you might avoid a rash. (Aside note: has anyone noticed the lack of hairiness on anime guys too?) So yes, if you are actually trying to look like the character by taking care to make the costume fit and flatter you, and you try to do the hair and ears nicely and have a careful makeup job - NO ONE should make a big deal. You'd be a serious crossplayer.

Man-Faye doesn't even try; he's just after humor, notoriety and attention. Faye Valentine's actual costume design may be short, but Man-Faye takes it to new "levels" by exposing half his noticeably furred butt. His costume fits poorly. Neither does he try to present a smooth front on those shorts (hiding the package), or even remotely attempt to do a good job on Faye's "large assets". The amount of visible body hair - ugh. He's a pretty hairy white guy.
Unread 09-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #7
allyunion

It was so indecent that...

From a far distance, you could swear his butt were two tribbles.

I was asking for a towel from anyone... it was so bad, I didn't have to be in character to make a face. It was so bad, that I was trying to find a Kenshin to hide behind.
Lewis Black: "There is no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. It's ridiculous. They call it a debasing of the language. No! We are adults. These are the words we use... to express: frustration, rage, and anger... in order that we don't pick up a tire and beat the s**t out of someone."

Japanese Animation and Cosplay Society
Unread 09-24-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
Richii
Like the Samurai

if you dont wanna shave your legs you could wear dance tights? maybe yeah...*shrugs*
I have no comment on Man Faye. I didnt actually see him in person, should I be thankful?

TenimyUSA The Prince of Tennis Musical Cosplay Group
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:02 AM   #9
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

YES, you should be SUPER THANKFUL!!
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:04 AM   #10
Richii
Like the Samurai

LOL *is super thankful* It was pretty bad in pictures...I guess it was tons worse in real life.

TenimyUSA The Prince of Tennis Musical Cosplay Group
Unread 09-24-2003, 06:32 AM   #11
BIOJECT

The last thing I would want is a negative reaction.

Well getting negative reactions toward my costume is the last thing I would want. Especially if it's offending, disgusting, or gross. The goal of this costume is to make people stare and react in a positive way. Also since Deedlit wears a cape only the front will ever show my bare arms or legs. Yeah I will probably just shave or even wax once so to get the closest look possible. I think tights would only degrade from the costume. Plus my arms are very hairy so I would have to shave them anyways. Might as well do the legs too!

In my next topic I'm going to post on what I think I should use. I'm not focusing on cheap costing material so I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks
Unread 09-24-2003, 09:17 AM   #12
Gren
Gender Bender

If you wax, make sure you do it at least a day before the con, maybe 2 or three. If you do it that morning, you'll probably end up with a lot of redness.

Man Faye is fantastic.
Unread 09-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #13
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Man-Faye is doing it to be a joke. We all know he's not really trying to pull of a good Faye Valentine costume, right? He's TRYING to be offensive, and to get laughs. With that in mind, I find him harmless enough.

Unfortunately, since he does attract so much attention, I'm afraid he'll likely be "the face (butt?) of cosplay" for a while, at least as far as photographers looking for humorous angles are concerned. Ignore him long enough and like everything else, he'll go away.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 09-24-2003, 10:29 AM   #14
LunarYoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
Yeah he's a guy wearing something a girl would wear and the pictures of him are kind of disturbing but what is the big deal? I've seen guys dressed as school girls all the time.

Does this mean my plans to dress up as Deedlit should be canceled since people will make a big deal even though girls crossplay all the time and technically it would be sexist not to let the guys dress up as their favorite female characters too?
Whats bad about man faye is that it looks like a wookie in a faye valentine costume. Now if he shaved(his whole body) before he put on that costume, it wouldnt be that bad.

What he did is just as bad as a 300 to 600 lb woman putting on a thong bikini with flabs/roles of fat every where.

I can easily block those images from my mind for it not to really bother me, only experienceing a revolusion to it(& not getting to the point of vomiting).

As for you doing a Deedlit costume, shave those areas of skin that will be exposed to everyone seeing. Even if your costume turns out sucking(not saying that it will), at least have proven your seriousness in wearing your costume by doing your best to appear as decent(ie not as a wookie in a costume) as possible.

BTW, Im a guy who just started crossplaying a little while ago.
see this http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=21410

For shaving i suggest you do it three weeks before you start. Then dont shave for a week or so. This way you will give any in-grown hairs to pop out. Shave again. Then for the third time shave the day before you leave for the anime con. This pross will severly reduce any rasheds or redness you will gave.

For the actual shaving process do this:

Get a womens shaving gel that is specifically ment for shavin legs(it also works good on arms & the rest of the body). DO NOT USE ANY MENS SHAVING GEL!!!

Use a brand new razor(tripple blanded works best) each time you shave. Start with your legs, then do other parts of your body. After you shave your legs run (very)cold water on them right away. This alone will slightly to severly reduce any redness you experience on your legs. Trust me it works. I seen it work first hand, & because i ask over 15+ women what is best when it comes to shaving legs, 8 of them use the cold water trick & they say it works as well.

Also get a lotion that is specificly ment for your legs to rub in once you are done shaving them.

Also get a hair retardnet growth lotion. Start rubbing this into your skin(where ever you plan to shave) on a daily basis about 5 to 6 weeks before you need to put on your costume for the anime con. This will slow down the hair growth process(it takes about 3 to 8 weeks for any noticeable effects to happen if you pay extremely close attention to the amount of hair growth you have after you shave the first time) plus keep your skin moisturized. For myself i estimated that using a hair retardent lotion reduced my hair growth by about 15%(thats after using it daily for over 2 months before i started to notice any affects).

This may see like alot of hassle, but if your determined to present your best image in your costume. Take care of your skin. Trust me, it is worth it.

Lunar Yoma

Ours is the Wisdom of Solomon,The Magic of Merlin,The Fall of Icarus. From Countless Ages We Have Beckoned, From Infinite choices We Have Suffered. The World Chokes Under Stifling Conformity, Hopes Crumble in the Fire of Mediocrity, Heroes Die in the Snare of Pride. Armaggeddon is at Hand. Reality is a Lie. The Truth is Magic. Open Your Eyes and Awaken.
Unread 09-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #15
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

I agree 100% with Koumori. And I'll even add that I thinik that people take cos-play to seriously if they are offended by a person (like Man-Faye) who is purely out doing this for laughs and as a joke.

It's obvious to me that he isn't going for accuricy.

He is no differant than Sailor Bubba (also a very nice guy from what I hear).

Chill and relax... let him have his fun. This'll die down after a while and Man-Faye will be but a memory.

And remember, not everyone cos-plays for the same reason.

Thank you,
Joe
Closed Thread