Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Blasteh
Photographer

Hello~

I've decided to join this forum at long last.
I have been doing cosplay photography for a year and a half now and am trying to learn new ways to make amazing (cosplay)photos.
I am still pretty new to off-camera flash so that's what I have been concentrating on recently.

Here's a shot I'm very proud of that was shot last Sunday; I'll appreciate all critique, good or bad as long as it helps me improve

SB-25 in a 26" softbox camera left.
85mm F/4 ISO 100
Blasteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I really like the shadows and random highlights.
It's a decent photo.
What I don't like is your font used for your watermark, it takes away from the image.

I don't know who the character is, but I assume it's either the Green Arrow or something similar.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
bureiku08

I would have adjusted the hood of his costume some so you can shadow his whole face instead of the hood just covering part of his face.
Shadowing came out real good where you can see more detail while giving a mysterious hidden look.
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
FiveRings

This is a very good shot.

The crop on the right is a bit tight. You do bring more attention to the subject, but maybe having more of the bow showing would add to the character. I'd also like to see how it would look with a light opposite your main to add an edge to the character as well, though your background is lit enough to make him stand out. Just a thought.

Watch out for your random tilt. Ask yourself why you're doing it. You've already got the "arrow" in the background and the angled lines from those to go with the character's arrows. Looking through your recent DA gallery, you do this a lot.

You also seem to shoot long and narrow. While this makes for nice portraits, it doesn't tell much of a story and doesn't make use of your beautiful backgrounds.
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Blasteh
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings View Post
This is a very good shot.

The crop on the right is a bit tight. You do bring more attention to the subject, but maybe having more of the bow showing would add to the character. I'd also like to see how it would look with a light opposite your main to add an edge to the character as well, though your background is lit enough to make him stand out. Just a thought.
I have thought about this after I processed the photo, though I was only carrying 1 light with me at the time so it was not possible. (will definitely do that next time)
Quote:
Watch out for your random tilt. Ask yourself why you're doing it. You've already got the "arrow" in the background and the angled lines from those to go with the character's arrows. Looking through your recent DA gallery, you do this a lot.
I haven't thought of the tilting as a problem before, is it weird? I usually tilt to get the head at an angle relative to the orientation of how the photo will be viewed. I feel it makes the photo more interesting, the only time I shoot with a level horizon is when I want to place more emphasis on the background.

Quote:
You also seem to shoot long and narrow. While this makes for nice portraits, it doesn't tell much of a story and doesn't make use of your beautiful backgrounds.
This is a limitation of me shooting with an 85/1.8, I will be addressing this soonish when I have funds

Thanks for your input, it's very very helpful.