Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
MissMallyMAK

Healthy eating! Tips, recipes, and advice :-)

As we all know, eating right while dieting is just as important as working out if we want to achieve magnificent results. So I thought, since this hasn't been done before, that we could start a thread helping each other out with the foods that we eat, and give any advice diet wise when we seem to be slipping.

Myself for example. Normally each morning, I eat a banana-oatmeal concoction that is just delicious. I mash banana and loose oats together, then pour 1/3 cup of 1% milk and continue stirring. I then microwave the mix together for 1 minute and let it stand. While it microwaves, I slice up an apple (Pink Lady is my favorite variety! It's so juicy and sweet ) and when its done cooling, I chop up some apple into tiny pieces and add it to my oatmeal. Then I add a few pinches of cinnamon to it, and I'm done! Its delicious! My mom always adds sugar and butter to hers for the taste, but you really don't need to! The natural sweetness of the apples and cinammon is more than enough flavor, trust me.

Normally thats what I eat for breakfast. During the day, I munch on the remaining apples that I did not cut up into my oatmeal, and I eat granola bars and veggie crisps for snacking purposes. If you are interested, I eat Nature Valley granola bars in the oats and honey or oats and dark chocolate variety (I'm a sucker 4 dark chocolate lol). And the veggie crisps, albeit a bit bland, are very good, and I believe its only 140 calories per 21 crisps. I eat EatSmart brand, in the tomato, spinach, and potato variety. Here is their website: http://www.eatsmartnaturals.com/

for lunch, I normally eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, with lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of mustard. I have also found that wheat bread, is WAY more palatable than white bread, and much healthier too. I eat it all the time now, lol! But the sammich is so yummy, and easy to make in a hurry. I normally prepare a lunch early in the morning that has a baggie of my veggie crisps, apples, and a granola bar in case i'm stuck at work, so I a) don't splurge on Starbucks right next door, and b) know I'm eating healthy and portionally appropriate things.

for dinner, I normally stir fry individually wrapped chicken breasts from perdue that come already seasoned (http://www.perdue.com/products/subca...category_id=3), and mix it with onions, peppers, carrots, corn, and broccoli. I try to make my meals as colorful as I can, and it makes it so much more delicious. My favorite part of cooking healthy is experimenting with different seasonings. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking with basil!!! Can't eat anything without it now lol~

So thats my diet in a nutshell. Sometimes I goof up and eat mountains of chocolate mousse *drool* but I do my best not to go over the top hehe. What about you guys?
MissMallyMAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

One of the best things you can to eat healthy is to plan ahead of time and make things readily available. Some examples:

- Buy a variety of fruit and keep it visible, either up front in the fridge or a bowl you can easily see.
- Steam a bulk portion of veggies, put it in plastic container so you can snack out of it anytime. I like broccoli and carrots for this.
- Ditto for something with chicken breasts, just have a few pieces cooked for the week so you can add it to a salad quickly.
- Dairy products are already packaged for convenience so you're good with a glass of milk or carton of Greek yogurt.

This is why we often fall into snacking or going for fast food, because we want something then and there, and don't want to spend energy making it.

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
noirstar45

Thanks for that EatSmart link. My dad can't eat wheat and sugars, so I've kind of slowly followed his diet, because we tend to eat the same things. Their gluten free product line sounds tastey.
noirstar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
SamuriSmurfX
No distractions.

Peanut butter bagels.... mmmmmm..

There are things that don't go smoothly but sometimes, you come to see things because they don't go smoothly
--Yukino Miyazawa
SamuriSmurfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Lady Valentine
MmmMMm dRaWp?!

It's also better to eat small meals every 4 hours rather than to eat 3 big meals. This helps boost your metabolism and helps your digestive system. Eating lots of fiber helps, too.

Watch your sugar intake as well. I'm not saying don't have sugar altogether because our bodies NEED sugar. Sugar is not bad if taken in moderation. 15 grams or less per meal will help you lose weight. It worked for me.

Read labels on the back of food products. Just because the package says it's healthy, it might not be. Watch for bad ingredients like aspartame and MSG.

Most importantly, DON'T STARVE YOURSELF! Your body needs food. It's energy. It's best to eat small portions when you DON'T feel hungry. When you feel hungry and your tummy is all growling, you tend to over-eat.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan
Lady Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
89th_Alice
still getting started

Apple with a bit of yogurt makes for a great snack or breakfast. You can do this with many fruits, Banana, Kiwi, Melon, Watermelon, Peach -and the list goes on and on...

Carrots, Celery, and radishes make for great snack too!

And eating at a moderate tempo while drinking lots of water, if you just chunk everything down you'll probably eat more before you feel full.
89th_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
fadedsunrise02

Quote:
QFT. At least, personally. I always thought that meat made me more energetic, but when I started trying a mostly plant based diet(one serving of meat max per day, and rarely red meat), I had a LOT more energy. I at first thought I was sick with something. Then I found that it was just the meat.

Also:
The generally best way to eat healthy is to cook as much from scratch as possible. If the food even HAS a label, it means it will probably have some kinds of preservative and other chemical ingredients that could possibly be making you fat. EX: for breakfast, instead of cereal and milk, try oatmeal with milk, peanut butter, and maybe cinnamon or other fruit. If you eat natural foods, often you can eat more.
fadedsunrise02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
lawliet.
A Raging L-ephant

I just made this for dinner today, and it was sooooo good...it was an omelet filled with brown and wild rice with some mozzarella cheese. It was filling and full of good carbs and protein.
For breakfast, I usually go for oatmeal with flaxseed, cinnamon, and live yogurt mixed into it. Throw some berries into that and you're set (I suggest blueberries or blackberries, but whatever floats your canoe).
I've found that whenever I'm craving something sweet, assorted berries lightly drizzled in a little honey are perfect.
Carrots with hummus...mmmm. <3

Otakon 2012 Schedule
No. 6 - Eve
Mirai Nikki - Yukiteru
Tsuritama - Natsuki
Nabari no Ou - Yoite

Last edited by lawliet. : 07-23-2010 at 10:01 PM.
lawliet. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
MissMallyMAK

I found that if you eat anything with chopsticks, it's much easier to not OVEREAT because (unless you are ridiculously dexterous with them) it takes a good effort and time to use them properly and eat your meal simultaneously. I realized that I sometimes rarely finish my meals (especially if they're big ones) because i'll be too pooped after having used chopsticks and save the rest of it for later.
MissMallyMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
cachalot
Blue Mage

Eat more vegetables!!! Vegetables have fiber, which makes you feel fuller, and they're full of vitamins. You don't have to have tons of money or time in your budget to eat veggies every day - your local grocery store should have bags of frozen pre-cooked veggies in the freezer section. They're quick to prepare and very cheap.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachalot View Post
Eat more vegetables!!! Vegetables have fiber, which makes you feel fuller, and they're full of vitamins. You don't have to have tons of money or time in your budget to eat veggies every day - your local grocery store should have bags of frozen pre-cooked veggies in the freezer section. They're quick to prepare and very cheap.
remember that not all veggies are created equal, as far as iceburg lettuce goes might as well just eat nothing at all with almost no nutritional content. Go for darker greens or red leaf lettuce or spinich instead
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Lycorisa

A healthy happy salad .
I don't really eat healthy, but I have this friends who eats tomatoes everyday and her skin is flawless and her body is very healthy too^^.
When I want something sweet, I reach for a fruit or cereals with milk or milk tea. I'm not a very healthy eater xD.
Lycorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Kasinator
Not quite human

CHOCOLATE OATMEAL!?!?!

Yes! and its good breakfast

1 cup of oatmeal

soy or fat free skim milk,

1 scoop of chocolate flavored whey protein

mix microwave eat!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Nekokichi

Quote:
Adding to this: Pollan doesn't mean food as in any kind of food, he's talking about food that is unprocessed and natural. This includes your no duh stuff like eat a baked potato instead of fries, and also includes little things like what sorts of fat you consume. (Some of it is good for you.)
Nekokichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
page of wands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycorisa View Post
A healthy happy salad .
I don't really eat healthy, but I have this friends who eats tomatoes everyday and her skin is flawless and her body is very healthy too^^.
When I want something sweet, I reach for a fruit or cereals with milk or milk tea. I'm not a very healthy eater xD.
Sounds tasty! I just recently discovered the greatness of salads! Had one for dinner tonight and it was more satisfying than i thought it would be! Mixed baby spinach and lettuce, then added chopped pieces of canned peach, cheddar cheese, and some toasted pumpkin seeds i had sitting in my cupboard. The seeds were the best part! So many tasty recipes online, and the great thing about salads is that you can add lots of tasty things you like in the same bowl! Mmmm cheese....mmm peaches....

I love eating apples as a sweet snack too. I mix up the type so that I don't get too bored with any one kind, and keep them refrigerated to make them refreshingly cold in the summer! My only problem with cereal though is portion size... I know how to look for and choose a relatively healthy brand but then I always end up pouring myself a huge bowl!! It's hard to hold back in the morning when I wish I was sleeping and need something to make me feel happy haha..... oops!
page of wands is offline   Reply With Quote