Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #121
lawrah-jayne

You really don't need an expensive camera, I bought mine off Amazon for around £100 ($150) and the photos that have come out have been really good. As for where to shoot, I always think nature shots look nice, if in a convention, how about having the person you are photoing in front of a crowd and blurring the back ground slightly? Before you actually take the photos take a day to just take random pictures of things to get used to the camera, that way you will be more relaxed when it comes to taking the photos. Hope I helped ^^
J-Con September - Going as Red Riding Hood Rin Kagamine
lawrah-jayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #122
LightKanako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrekin View Post
Well it really depends on if you are using the pose for just around the con or if you are in an actual photoshoot of some sort.
Either way, I would suggest Google or searching the internet of fan art, snap shots ,screen captures of the anime and see what is common for poses or something she does often.
Since her character is a maid, just searching poses for maids would be a secondary suggestion and options.

As for you not liking the other cosplayers posing, what is wrong with them? Think of how you could take their pose and make it better. Sometimes that would be simple and easy for finding and creating poses.
I'm going to be doing both a photoshoot and attending a convention. :3

I've searched google quite a bit, but never really thought of just looking at maids and thinking of how I would make others' poses better. That's really great advice! Thank you!
LightKanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #123
LightKanako

Quote:
Originally Posted by MairuxKurunee View Post
She's a strong character, so she would probably be walking straight.
"Body language for a proud person" should be a good term to google.

I'm having trouble thinking of poses as well. (our characters are similar-~) Good luck >w<
You're right. :3 I think that a lot of "hands on hips" poses, "arms folded" standing tall ones will work. But she's a 'tsundere' so I should probably do a few cutesy/embarrassed poses too.

Thank you! and good luck for you as well. Who are you cosplaying?
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #124
MairuxKurunee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKanako View Post
You're right. :3 I think that a lot of "hands on hips" poses, "arms folded" standing tall ones will work. But she's a 'tsundere' so I should probably do a few cutesy/embarrassed poses too.

Thank you! and good luck for you as well. Who are you cosplaying?
*points to signature* xD
Huah hah hah hahaha!
I am Makise Kurisu, the mad scientisto tsundere-chan!
Check out Feyris Nyan Nyan~! She has alot of cute maid poses- although she isn't so tsundere.
For the photoshoot:
If you could find an Usui, and have him hold you princess-style, while you be as flustered and mad about it - would be sooo cute xD Or have him kneel down, as if he was going to give you a piggy back ride, but you just stand a few feet away, and look at him confused.
Making cupcakes or cookies and giving them out to people is a good idea too. End it with "See you again, master!" "Come back soon!-nyan!" or something xD
-------------------------------------------------------------
Momo-Con ~ Makise Kurisu /stalled for time being/ = 38.97%
MairuxKurunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #125
LightKanako

Quote:
*points to signature* xD
Huah hah hah hahaha!
I am Makise Kurisu, the mad scientisto tsundere-chan!
Check out Feyris Nyan Nyan~! She has alot of cute maid poses- although she isn't so tsundere.
For the photoshoot:
If you could find an Usui, and have him hold you princess-style, while you be as flustered and mad about it - would be sooo cute xD Or have him kneel down, as if he was going to give you a piggy back ride, but you just stand a few feet away, and look at him confused.
Making cupcakes or cookies and giving them out to people is a good idea too. End it with "See you again, master!" "Come back soon!-nyan!" or something xD
I just looked her up, she looks like an awesome character! I hope to see pictures of you :3 We should be friends! well..internet friends?

Haha I will do that!

Oh myyyy o///o; the funny thing is, this dude I really like looks SO much like Usui, but... I....I think I'd die asking him to do that for me. x///x
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #126
Kawaiichibiz

Practice in the mirror until you have a couple expressions you like and know the feeling of, then with any camera take a few practice pictures so you can see how they look on camera. (think about face angles too!) If that doesn't work, right before taking a picture think of something cute, or funny... If you're still having trouble, have someone be there who knows how to make you smile. Remember with the exeption of a few pictures, you usually don't want to look like you're holding back a huge laugh, or like you just busted out laughing, so if someone's there trying to make you smile, make sure they aren't telling you things that are too funny...or you may look like this...
Rock Lee (Naruto)
Feferi (Homestuck)
Kagura (Gintama)
Finn (Adventure Time)
Tumblr
Deviantart
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #127
Kawaiichibiz

Here are some pictures of prussia I found that really do a good job portaying his personality, you could try posing like them.
Here
Here
Here
And here! I hope they help!
Rock Lee (Naruto)
Feferi (Homestuck)
Kagura (Gintama)
Finn (Adventure Time)
Tumblr
Deviantart
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #128
MairuxKurunee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKanako View Post
I just looked her up, she looks like an awesome character! I hope to see pictures of you :3 We should be friends! well..internet friends?

Haha I will do that!

Oh myyyy o///o; the funny thing is, this dude I really like looks SO much like Usui, but... I....I think I'd die asking him to do that for me. x///x
Hehe thanks~!

You should totally go for it!
You should carry around a waitress pan table thing that they hold food on as a prop. (Or a broom xD)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Momo-Con ~ Makise Kurisu /stalled for time being/ = 38.97%
MairuxKurunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #129
redsheep

My laugh smile is rediculous. XD I tend to hold my breath and think of something funny. The smile just kinda' falls into place when I exhale.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #130
LightKanako

Quote:
Hehe thanks~!

You should totally go for it!
You should carry around a waitress pan table thing that they hold food on as a prop. (Or a broom xD)
You're welcome!

I actually asked him... and he was like.... "I would probably look weird with blond hair..." (his hair is light brown) me: "Not if you wore a wig. :3 And... you look a lot like Usui...but..I would probably die if you did those things x////x" him: "Hmm..... I'll think about it then "
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #131
LarryMHolder
Photographer and Artist

I've never had much luck with full, big smiles in photos I've taken, I prefer little smirks or half smiles.
LarryMHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #132
LarryMHolder
Photographer and Artist

You can make great photos with cheap cameras imo, and this is coming from someone with a lot of expensive gear and years of experience. It really comes down to composition and lighting. Speaking on composition, watch your background, try to not have a lot of craziness or people in your background, it makes it very hard to focus of the subject of your shot. Leave lots of room around people, don't cut off limbs at joints if you have to shoot close up, it makes shots look really weird and ruins your shot. If your shooting a group, push people close together, empty space between people gives off an awkward feel to the image. Shoot people at a 3/4 angle, straight on or side on poses look very awkward and unnatural. Speaking on lighting, try and find an area with good natural light, if you have to use flash, try to get a flash that can tilt and bounce the light or buy a diffuser to soften the light from the direct flash, it will make your photos 100 times better. When you natural light position the people so the sun is not in there eyes, and not directly behind them. This solves two issues, the sun directly facing people will make them squint, the sun directly behind will cause a lens flare in your image. If you have to shoot indoors, try and find a big window, preferably with white curtains to soften the light. Don't shoot with the person's back to the light, but rather use it as a side light. Hope that gives you a few things to take into account, try testing out these ideas with what ever camera you have access to now, practise is your best resource!
LarryMHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #133
BlondeSwan
LaCygne

Question Posing for pokemon gijinka?

I'm doing a Raichu and a Jolteon cosplay soon and i am just baffled on how i should pose for them! Someone please help!

Cosplays So Far This Year:

Raichu
Pokemon Trainer Yellow
Jolteon Gijinkia
Uotani Arisa- Fruits Basket

Cosplays In Progress:

Bellossom Gijinkia
Tamaki Souh-Ouran High School Host Club
Nurse Joy-Pokemon
Alice-Alice in Wonderland
Jack Frost Genderbend (Rise of the Guardians)
BlondeSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #134
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

With Pokemon it's kinda of free-reign. You can do a classic cute pose (knees turned together, wide eyed, cute smile, hands in paw shape just in front of the chin) or you can try some action poses (dramatic lunges, fighting poses). It really depends on the sense of character you're trying for. When I did a Gardevoir gijinka I did a slight lean back at a twisted 2/3 angle to give it a more elegant and flowy, "better than thou" type of feel. For Raichu and Jolteon, because they're cute but active, you can do the cute pose or the action poses.

If you do the action poses, don't do anything too extreme unless you're poses as a battle with someone. Don't pull any Naruto-Ninja poses.
Kyuushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #135
Penlowe

The ability to close one eye independently from the other is genetic, like rolling your tongue or attached ear lobes. Some people simply cannot do it. Some can only wink one eye but not the other. If you can at all, you can practice to improve your technique.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote