Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #1
Icetigris
Internets Winner

Question I know not of masquerading...some enlightenment plz?

I've never been in the masqurade, but I'm thinking of doing one for next Otakon. I would probably be doing something Yugioh, seeing as my friend and I have sort of assembled a semi-group of nothing. What types of things are good to put in skits? How do you keep them short without making them crappy? Are the costumes more important than the skit, vice-versa, or does it depend on where/what you are? How much crazed fandom is allowed before being frowned upon? Are extras possible in any way, shape or form? Are crossovers frowned upon greatly, or do ppl like them? Anything I haven't mentioned here that is very important to keep in mind? Any input is helpful, thanx

Unread 09-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

In most of the masquerades I've been to, the skit seems to count for more than the costumes do in the judging. Most cons will have separate awards for craftsmanship now. As for what to put in your skit, the only cardinal rule I would propose is: Don't bore the audience! Don't throw in in-jokes most casual fans won't get, don't go on for too long, don't sing three verses when one would do.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
katrinastrife

I second what Koumori said. But, the con should note whether the costume- (self explanitory) and cosplay- (skit) contests are two seperate events, or just one.

Maybe you should try parodying a card battle, or something?

Anyway, just be sure to keep it short and sweet, and if at all possible, PRE-record your skit, and burn it on to CD (the audience usually has trouble hearing, if you don't use mics).
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
Icetigris
Internets Winner

I wasn't planning on doing a card battle b/c I think it's been done too many times, but I don't know now that you've clarified that in-jokes are not a good thing. I had this thought that I could use a bunch of extras to say "mine" like the seagulls in "Finding Nemo" when all the bishies are on stage, or something like that. Burning your skit onto a CD sounds like a good idea, but how would you time the actual skit right? I don't really know where to start with writing the skit, tho...x_x
Unread 09-28-2003, 02:03 AM   #5
Psychotic Jei
Quality Scr-what.

Timing the skit takes some guesswork sometimes. You just have to think out in your head..and hope you get it right. Or find a way to rehearse it after a test ruf of timing and find out where you need to add some and such
Psychotic Jei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
betani

actually (at otakon at least) a skit is meant to show of your costume. in other words, make your costumes then come up with a skit that would best accentuate them. don't go by this though. my group and i always come up with the basic idea first and fit the best costumes into it. if they're simple, so what? as long as it's a good skit and the two things go well together (ie. - a serious skit with characters who would never do that wouldn't work too well in most cases). you'll be fine. good luck with the skit!
Entry #18 Productions
"a skit of a different color" - otakon 05 (teen titans/mononoke hime/wizard of oz)
"where in the world is frodo baggins?" - icon 24 (lotr)
"dance magic dance revolution" - otakon 04 (muppets/utena/catbus)
"shonen ai for the shonen ai guy" - katsucon 10 (weiss kreuz/queer eye)
"hit me, bash me, thrill me, smash me" - otakon 03 (smash bros./thriller)
"duel of the fiddles" - katsucon 9 (gundam wing/the devil went down to georgia)
betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:02 PM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by betani
actually (at otakon at least) a skit is meant to show of your costume. in other words, make your costumes then come up with a skit that would best accentuate them. don't go by this though. my group and i always come up with the basic idea first and fit the best costumes into it. if they're simple, so what? as long as it's a good skit and the two things go well together (ie. - a serious skit with characters who would never do that wouldn't work too well in most cases). you'll be fine. good luck with the skit!
Ideally, yes, a skit is there to show off your costume - but I've seen less and less emphasis on costumes over the years, when it comes to presentations and judging. Your mileage may vary.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetigris
I had this thought that I could use a bunch of extras to say "mine" like the seagulls in "Finding Nemo" when all the bishies are on stage, or something like that.
Ha! That sounds pretty funny. I'd get a kick out of it. (and I'm one of the worst audience members known to man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetigris
Are crossovers frowned upon greatly, or do ppl like them?
Funny you should ask... At my very first con, my group wanted to do a skit. We had 6 people from 5 different anime/manga and 1 extra (the OTAKU)... we managed to write something up about an hour before the masq... I'd recommend against this, even though it's what I keep doing. (The audience seemed to like the skit, though...)

As for the CD... I don't like using them myself. I'm a theatre person, so I've got a stage voice and *might* even be able to fill the room without mics (thanks to some training in a big, low-tech high school theatre.) There have sometimes been problems with sounds... this usually depends on the con. I'd think Otakon would have it pretty sorted out, though.

If you practice a lot with your track beforehand, you should do fine. (practice is good... I just wish I could remember that...) If it's really important to you that everything looks perfect, make sure the other people in your skit are competent and willing to put in the time.
Unread 10-23-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
Cyber Wolf
Bone Daddy

Hmm...I def. agree with the fact that you must have jokes that the audience understands. Though I'd advise throwing an in reference in here or there so the really avid Yugioh fans will be amused.

As for content, I'd say make it funny. Like maybe something like...
He draws out a card face down and thinks it's a certain card like the Dark Magician or something, but it's a really a ____ card! Madness ensues, etc, etc....

Edit: Oh yeah, random = goldmine. But make sure it's tied to a ref. that just about everyone will get...like Michael Jackson or something.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #10
dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn

Heh... What if they were playing with pokemon cards?
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #11
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

definately keep the jokes to where people who've never even seen the show could understand. While yugi-oh is a popular series now, i'd have to say it's mostly popular with younger kids versus teenagers and adults (while that doesn't mean teenagers and adults don't watch it at all) so keep that in mind.

if you've never seen a masquerade before i'd recommend attending one first so you can get a feel for how it is and what happens. Keep in mind it does take up pretty much most of your time on saturday (or whatever day they hold it on)

the funnier the skit the better it goes over with the crowd, as well as the shorter the skit it is too. Run your skit idea infront of some people who aren't in the group, like maybe some friends who aren't participating as we all tend to have a bias for our own ideas versus others ^_^;

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 11:00 PM   #12
Icetigris
Internets Winner

!!! Wow, you guys have been really helpful! Thanx ^_^! I'm having a few more ideas for this thing now, though, I still have to find a Yami, a Seto, a Black Magician would be REALLY nice, a Malik, and maybe an Otogi to make fun of XP. A Mokuba would help too. My friend's sister has already started her Ancient Bakura costume (I, of course, have not started Black Magician Girl yet ^_^;, tho I'm not sure what my friend is actually doing. She's going as Change of Heart for Katsucon, but I don't think she's decided on what she's going to be for Otakon yet.
>>dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn: I really like the Pokemon cards idea; hmm...
*Seto: I summon the almighty.......what the devil?!
*Yami:...It's a Golduck.
*Black Magician Girl: Ha ha sux 4 u!

yeah....I need sleep x_x
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
betani

if you want to see some examples of past skits at cons, you can go to http://members.aol.com/deathcom5/ and download some. they're quite amusing.
Entry #18 Productions
"a skit of a different color" - otakon 05 (teen titans/mononoke hime/wizard of oz)
"where in the world is frodo baggins?" - icon 24 (lotr)
"dance magic dance revolution" - otakon 04 (muppets/utena/catbus)
"shonen ai for the shonen ai guy" - katsucon 10 (weiss kreuz/queer eye)
"hit me, bash me, thrill me, smash me" - otakon 03 (smash bros./thriller)
"duel of the fiddles" - katsucon 9 (gundam wing/the devil went down to georgia)
betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:08 PM   #14
Icetigris
Internets Winner

^_^ ooo, wow! thankies! ^_^
Unread 11-12-2003, 03:20 PM   #15
HEDGESMFG
PLEASE think of the Genki

I've been in about 3 skits at cons this year (each of the Chicago cons). In a sense I'm still a N00b to this, but I seem to at least have a nack with audience pleasing moments, actually...I too am hoping that I could get out to Otakon and do a skit with a few friends of mine next year XD

But anyway...

1. Project, for Gods sakes project! This is easy for me because I've been playing highly overemotional characters that make shouting an easy task. When the audience can clearly hear what you say, it makes any skit that much more enjoyable.

2. Try not to rely on music cues, my first 2 skits had music cues in em, and both time it didn't work out, by my 3rd one at Anime Reactor I just said "screw it". Each time I was perfectly fine with out em (Though I do have skits in mind that HAVE to use music cues, but that's another story.) If you really need em, make it CLEAR as possible to the music guy WHEN to play it, WHAT TRACK to play, and WHAT NUMBER and TITLE your skit is.

3. If you're doing crossovers, take the characters and do some WILD things with them. I don't necessarily mean in the perverted kind of way (which is certianly a fan favorate thing amoung Masqs these days), I mean in the "Good god that's so wrong!" kind of way for the characters. Put a Gundam pilot in a Sailor Suit, Make Nabashine step into the middle of Maison Ikkoku only to be stopped by the fate of the universe(And yes, these have been done, don't swipe them ;P), just do things that the audience TOTALLY doesn't expect and you'll be a hit.

4. Timing. Don't drag on for to long with dialoue, only give enough to get the general idea, and then bring out the jokes at a good time to keep the skit from becomming borring.

5. Acting. I already mentioned projecting, but another very important aspect is to pay attention to movement. Use overexadurated movements to emphasize your emotion, overexadurating the lines as well can easily become hilarious to watch. Especially when the character themselves are emotionally unstable, insane, fanatical, ect...

Woo, but hey...I'm still new at this so I may be off about some things.

Oh, and one more thing. I don't know about cons outside of the midwest area, but out here we have an overabundence of Pocky based jokes. LET IT DIE! POCKY IS A SNACK, NOT A GOOD SKIT GIMMICK!
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote