Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
GammaRayMay

Cosplay Brand Reviews: Bodyline (wigs, shoes, etc)

This is a close up of the inside of the wig.

This is a Bodyline wig(gray/blue) sat next to a Cyperous wig(white) to show a comparison when flash is used on the wigs. The Bodyline wig is shiny however this is only when the flash is used. Cyperous wigs do not photograph shiny most of the time. The white wig is much thicker than the bodyline wig but both are soft to the touch and look great.

Here is the gray/blue wig with flash used.

PRICE: 10/10
SOFTNESS: 10/10
PHOTOGENIC: 7/10
(Photos shiny however without flash it does not do this. I may try some talcum and see if that corrects the issue.)

CONSTRUCTION: 8/10
(Inside of cap is not as well constructed as my Cyperous wigs but very much worth what I paid for it.)

Here is the red wig with flash used.

PRICE: 10/10
SOFTNESS: 10/10
PHOTOGENIC: 7/10
(Photos shiny however without flash it does not do this. I may try some talcum and see if that corrects the issue.)

CONSTRUCTION: 8/10
(Inside of cap is not as well constructed as my Cyperous wigs but very much worth what I paid for it.)

IMAGES WITHOUT FLASH BELOW:

Bought items on http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/ each for under 20$. Hope my Review helps anyone that was looking into them! ^_^
GammaRayMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Very helpful! Thanks!

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Bodyline Review (shoes)

Name of Merchant: Bodyline
Website: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/bodyline/ *Japan (Bodyline also has an English storefront which offers most of the same items for similar prices plus a $20 flat shipping rate)
Items ordered: red mary-janes for 1,999 yen (discontinued) and two pairs of black student/goth shoes with frilly crap on them for 2,999
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: Red Mary Janes (on Scarlet), Black shoes (on Len and Rin)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2 weeks

Pros: Extremely cheap shoes delivered quickly with a nice range of costumey looks. Great for Tohou characters (endless mary janes!) and lower-end goth/punk shoes.

Lightweight materials and obvious construction techniques make shoes easy to alter, add to or subtract from without destroying their wearability. I was able to cut all of the frills off of Len's shoes with a pair of regular kitchen scissors and remove the hearts from both pairs in a matter of minutes.

The shoes themselves are surprisingly comfy and wearable. They photograph ~very~ well.

Cons: Some shoes run big. As you can see in the picture of Len, there's a LOT of room in the back! I intentionally ordered them a wee bit big so I could use them with inserts for another character, but only a half-size. The size difference shouldn't be quite so big.

They're cheap shoes, so they scuff and get damaged easily.

Final Comments: Totally worth the price for costume wear. With the gigantic gap in prices between Bodyline and the usual cosplay shoe sources, there's no contest. Bodyline is where to go for shoes ~ provided they have them. Look here first... then poke elsewhere on rakuten.

Final Grade: 10

Unread 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Brand/Shop Reviews: Bodyline

Name of Merchant: Bodyline
Items ordered: 1499yen Miku base wig, 2 999yen vances
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through rakuten and took about one week to process even with some restocking issues. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: My friend Mike was entering an animesong kareoke contest and didn't have anything to wear. My friend and I have Love is War Rin and Len costumes and we had an extra Miku Love is War lying around from a botched Comiket group last year. Rather than let the costume go to waste and the boy go nekkid, we decided to have him try on the Miku. As it turns out, Mike and I are exactly the same waist size!!! GRRRRR~

In any case, he needed a wig... one we could have him totally destroy at Yorustar (a nightclub event we all attend) without opening horrible holes in our pockets.

Bodyline could give us a base wig and two vances for about 3500 yen (US $50). With the next cheapest Miku coming in around the 6,000 mark ~ Bodyline it was!

We ordered the wig and vances in "emerald green" which came out more or less the turquoise color we wanted.

Pros: I'll be dammned. The wig actually looked pretty good. There were no obvious bare spots, it fit well and the vances were well enough made to stay in and look decent.

The color is pretty spot-on for Miku and it was all wearable without cutting and styling. A bit of wax on the bangs and our friend was ready to go.

The price is unbeatable in Japan. Most good Miku wigs cost well over the $80/90 mark. And while I wouldn't make the stretch to call this a "good" wig, I'd certainly consider it a useable one.

Cons: Not resistant to high-heat styling.

Prone to flyaways.

Vances are thin and the clips are covered by deliberately backcombed/tangled hair that eventually migrates into tangles at the top of the twintails themselves.

Fibers are high sheen. They're extremely stretchy and plasticy, having a nylon-esque pull that none of the wigs I usually work with have ever had. Fibers break easily and warp even more easily, curling and frizzing whenever they catch or tangle. These warped fibers can not be repaired and need to, instead, be cut. They melt at pretty low heat, too. Even my hairdryer seemed to upset the wig a bit.

Combing out tangles actually warps the fibers, so it isn't really a wig you can use more than once or twice without destroying unless you're extremely careful with it.

We had to spend 3 hours detangling the twintails after the first gentle wear and ended up throwing them out because they were unsavable after the second.

That's 2,000 yen down the tube on the one hand... but 2 events it pulled us through on the other.

Final Comments: Not a "nice" wig, but a useable one. It looks good enough, but it won't stand up to styling or the test of time. If you tangle it, it's over :/ I would buy another Bodyline wig for a cheap, one-shot costume or encourage newbies to check out their shorter, easier to manage styles as a cheap alternative and slight step up from Halloween party wigs.

Final Grade: 5

Last edited by kiratsukai : 01-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
venus

you never ceases to amaze me, bodyline -_-?

i was just looking at what bl has recently, (don't buy much from them but still like to visit them), and it seems that they have kuroshitsuji ceil's ballgown dress, along with what looks like sebastian's outfit that you can buy to go with it..
i'm not really liking it so much.. the lace on the edge of the hat really puts me off the most.. i make my own outfits, but it looks like ebays' versions looks so much better than bodylines...
what is your opinion on it?
venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

My opinion on it? It's decent for a cheap knock off. It could be worse.

And yes, there are better quality ones out there, but you get what you pay for. My only real complaint is this damn dress being made even more accessible.
Suiseiseki0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

As I had never heard of this company before I googled it to find the website.

The Engrish was worth a laugh...but I don't see this outfit you are referring to..maybe you should direct link to it, if you want our opinion.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

Ref links for the OP:

Ciel "robin" gown- http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/s..._1&noSubType=Y

Sebastian- http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/p...stume477-2.jpg
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

The shoes on the Sebastian model. :I

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-chan View Post
The shoes on the Sebastian model. :I
Those shoes make me disappoint.

Cons Attending
[Anime Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Bodyline makes costumes for people who are casual costumers or normal folks without much money to spend: one-day (or one-night) wearables for Halloween parties, club nights and 14 year olds with budgets. For the price, their stuff looks pretty darn good and is, more often than not, useable (something you can't say for most $12 wigs and $40 full costumes).

It also sells costumes in far larger sizes than most Japanese brands will make and without charging extra for fabric or custom sizing.

No, the quality isn't all that good.

But where in Bodyline's business model does it strive to compete in quality?

There are only 800 other places to get the same costumes and much nicer lolita clothing (for higher prices). If you don't like theirs, why complain?

Maybe that Ciel dress is just what your 4XL neighbor with a $100 budget has been looking for.

Last edited by kiratsukai : 06-24-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I personally see nothing wrong with those costumes. (*knows nothing about sewing*)
They look fine to me. If they were made for one-day wears, the prices are terrible, if they were made to cosplay in for two days or more, the price is decent.
Don't like, don't comment negatively. See it, think what you want, and move on. *shrug*
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy. View Post
I personally see nothing wrong with those costumes. (*knows nothing about sewing*)
They look fine to me. If they were made for one-day wears, the prices are terrible
Ever priced enough fabric and lace to make a full-length, two-tiered dress for a 4XL? :P

That price is a steal.

All of their prices are.

The costumes will hold up past one wear, but in the Japanese community, most people shopping for multiple-use costumes will opt for something else on account of most of Bodyline's fabrics being so thin that they are more or less transparent. You need to wear bodystockings or shirts and tights under them or your undergarments will show.

The shoes also scuff up and get destroyed in only 3 or 4 wears.

The wigs can't be saved once they tangle.

But say what you will, cheap stuff is still cheap ~ the right color and often well designed.

I use Bodyline all the time for shoes... sometimes for belts and accessories... sometimes for wigs.

I've always gotten at least the time I needed out of them and sometimes a little more than I expected before they crapped out on me. And everything always ~looks~ marvelous in photos.

Bodyline has saved me thousands of dollars in the last year and a half. I'm not going to knock them for offering ~more~ stuff :P

Last edited by kiratsukai : 06-24-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 06-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
venus

don't get me wrong, I've brought quite a few things from bodyline, so i know how their quality of their stuff are. I've got shoes, tops & dresses/skirts, and even socks from them which I really like. i even made the effort to get to their store when i visited japan a few years ago.
i've seen other costumes that they've made and looks much better made than ciel's dress.. and the price for it including shipping, i'm sure that one can get the same dress better and more accurate in the same price range of maybe $10-$20 more...
venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

As long as you know what to stay away from (cheap scratchy lace, shiny costume satin, cheap plastic accessories hotglued together) Bodyline's stuff ain't bad (their lolita items, anyway). I own a couple skirts and a blouse from them and they're well made, at least, even if the fabric quality isn't super impressive. Their shoes scuff easily but I've heard they're a lot more comfortable and durable than a lot of other costume/lolita shoes you'll come across.

Their customer service is terrible (bordering on non-existent), though, and since they got rid of the DHL flatrate shipping and readjusted for the current yen to USD value, the cost of buying from them has skyrocketed :/
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote