Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > "Tales of" Series

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
x.tearRain.x
Stationary Guard

Need help with 'Arietta the Wild' shoes.

http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/Arietta
Above is a link to the wikia page of Arietta the Wild from Tales of the Abyss. I have never watched the anime, only played the game. I need help in making the shoes seem to go up to the thigh. I mean... the boots are REALLY high, and I can't find boots that fit me that are that high. So... are there any options? I don't want to use black shoes and wear black socks underneath.
sorry.. my english isn't very good!
but thank you for your help! ^w^

x.tearRain.x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
Llay

I needed to do this before too. You can buy fabric to "Cover" your boots and make a boot slip!
I would make it out of a vinyl or a thick stain resistant fabric. then copy the boots onto the fabric and alter and warp the fabric to fit and go longer up your leg for you
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Bootcovers can be fabulously useful things. I actually found a tutorial for them. It's in Japanese, but there's lots of pics and it's pretty easy to figure out. I took some liberties with it when I made my bootcovers for Yuri, namely by cutting the top part bigger than I'd need it and then pinning it to fit on my leg, and some alterations on the bottom since the boots I was covering do not have giant go-go heels like those. Basically, traced the sole minus the heel part onto a pleather scrap and made a sole for the bootcover rather than having the elastic to hold it on.

For Arietta, I'd suggest using fabric that has some stretch to it, so you don't have to deal with a zipper (and also cuz it'll be a lot more comfortable). Basically, a really long sock with sturdier stuff on the bottom and a hole for the heel. You'll want an elastic casing at the top to keep them from sagging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pg1.jpg (197.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pg2.jpg (197.9 KB, 0 views)
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
x.tearRain.x
Stationary Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen View Post
Bootcovers can be fabulously useful things. I actually found a tutorial for them. It's in Japanese, but there's lots of pics and it's pretty easy to figure out. I took some liberties with it when I made my bootcovers for Yuri, namely by cutting the top part bigger than I'd need it and then pinning it to fit on my leg, and some alterations on the bottom since the boots I was covering do not have giant go-go heels like those. Basically, traced the sole minus the heel part onto a pleather scrap and made a sole for the bootcover rather than having the elastic to hold it on.

For Arietta, I'd suggest using fabric that has some stretch to it, so you don't have to deal with a zipper (and also cuz it'll be a lot more comfortable). Basically, a really long sock with sturdier stuff on the bottom and a hole for the heel. You'll want an elastic casing at the top to keep them from sagging.
Thank you so much! ^w^ This look very useful! The only thing is, I'm not using any boots, I'm thinking of using flats that day, as I'm constantly running around and not used to anything with heels. But I will keep this in mind ^_^

x.tearRain.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Yulia
Professional Girl

I've typed up a long...thing, let's see if I can edit this one to post it....

edit: Shoot. Just deleted everything. Well, I included a little typed tutorial, but I'll only type it again if you think you'll want to use it/need it.

Basically, if you use flats or whatever (a flat-sneaker-thing would probably be better just cause it's sturdier) you can still make boot covers. I made knee high boots before using a standard high heel as a base. You just use stretchy fabric and either pull it around your leg and pin+sew+machinesew or make a little tube of stretchy fabric and do the same thing.
Catherine - Catherine
Maybe something else such as Nanami, the best blonde ever

Last edited by Yulia : 08-17-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Yulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Zetchi
destined for greatness

I made boot covers for my Arietta cosplay. The base of the boots are Air Walk hightops, believe it or not. I wish I remember the type of fabric I used, but if you want to make them like I did, you want to make sure the material stretches. I traced out the shape of my leg with the shoes on and went from there. I used bias tape down the middle and sewed it on (which in the end, I think was a bad idea because since the material stretches, one side "gathers" a bit. If and when I redo them, I plan on using fabric glue/liquid stitch) and then glued the covers to the shoe. Over that, I used bias tape for the base, so they look like this.

So in the end, it looked like this. Actually I realized now I talked about the construction of the outfit there. lmao orz

I'm mainly active on the forums during con season/summer time... PM me to contact me otherwise.
Zetchi is offline   Reply With Quote