Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
katkraus

Need advice for making shoulder armor

I'm having trouble making the shoulder pads seen here -->
http://www.wow-europe.com/shared/wow.../main/ss14.jpg

Its the druid Tier 2 Shoulders. I have the golden pieces made, but I can't think of what to make and support the shoulders out of. I made a cast of my shoulder to try and work from there, and I have thick fabric to cover them with... but I'm just totally lost now. Carboard, foam, something else? Any and all advice is appreciated!

(Off-topic but for the same costume, I'm using paint for the golden stripes on the brown fabric. Is there something I can spray it with to make it more wearable/waterproof? I used to spray hairspray onto pastel drawings to keep them from smudging. I wonder if that would work.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss14.jpg (81.7 KB, 0 views)
katkraus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

You could probably use cardboard but i've never tried it. There's some tutorials around the internet about shaping cardboard, involving water and sandpaper.

I've done shoulders by making a basic frame out of pipe cleaners and then paper mache-ing over it. The paper mache can be a little time consuming but enough layers make it strong enough. Cover it with the fabric when you've got the shape and strength you want.

.... is this for Blizzcon, by chance?
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Eaeiswen
Rawr Rip Rake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkraus View Post
I'm having trouble making the shoulder pads seen here -->
http://www.wow-europe.com/shared/wow.../main/ss14.jpg

Its the druid Tier 2 Shoulders. I have the golden pieces made, but I can't think of what to make and support the shoulders out of. I made a cast of my shoulder to try and work from there, and I have thick fabric to cover them with... but I'm just totally lost now. Carboard, foam, something else? Any and all advice is appreciated!

(Off-topic but for the same costume, I'm using paint for the golden stripes on the brown fabric. Is there something I can spray it with to make it more wearable/waterproof? I used to spray hairspray onto pastel drawings to keep them from smudging. I wonder if that would work.)
Hmmmm,I've made WoW armor before,What I used to first off support those massive shoulder is...Cardboard..yes cardboard lol. Folding them in different angles and hot gluing to get the basic structure,and to what I did is made straps to hold them in place on the shoulders with one going across in the back to attach them together leaving inches of space.

Kumoricon 2011:Snake, Kuroshitsuji(Black Butler)
Sebastian Michealis, Kuroshitsuji(Black Butler)
Sakuracon 2011:Snake(Black Butler) Austria (Hetalia:Axis powers)
Eaeiswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
katkraus

Haha yep, I figure if I start now I might finish it by next year.

Also, that sounds like a good idea. Although I have chicken wire left over from another project I could paper mache that. Thanks
katkraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Ayabi

1. Make the armor itself hollow
2. Fit high-density foam padding (or similar foam padding) into the armorpieces, taking care to only use foam a few inches thick so that you will still have a shoulder curve when the armor is lined with it.
3. ????
4. Profit.

p.s.
There is a textile medium you can buy and mix in with regular acrylic paints to make them entirely wearable and washable. Check the acrylic paint or t-shirt decor (fabric paint) section of a local crafts store for it, and be sure to read the label for mixing instructions.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
essex1984

Saw this tread as i was floating around and wanted to chime in. I have had pretty good luck with making the shoulder pads for WOW cosplay and thought i could help.

Your frist step is going to be a good look at your budget. There are cheeper ways then others to get this done.

I used a pink insulation foam for most of my crafting. Its strong yet light enough to make weapons and some armor pieces from. Also on a plus side it should be pretty easy to get a hold of in most parts of the world.

The only down side to use of this material is a large amout of dust/foam bits and the want to invest in a good high quality "hot knife" to cut with.

The link to my tutorial is in my signature, feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about it.
Arms, Armor, and Awesome!
essex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Giant Alucard
DooD, it is Glorious!

I was having a ton of trouble with this as well, so I feel ya. I'm back to working on my Shadowheart armor and just finished the base. the entire shoulder itself is layer from different things. The base was a huge plastic pot! I cut out the basic curved shape I could use, then added a ridge of foam on one end. I then cut another curved area and glued it over top ip that ridge to make the side next to my head angled slightly upwards. I then used some wonderflex (I think it was that), to merge the two sperate pieces into one, so now its more curved and not just angled. This is only gonna be used as a base though, since Ii'll be layering it in order to make it look right, plus I still have to add the skulls.

Oddl enough, these shoulders where suppose to be for a M.Bison costume... But If ya want I'll take some pics of it for ya, since I have no doubt I was pretty confusing!

Spartan - 300
Riddick - Chronicles of Riddick
Rios - Army of Two
Lister - Red Dwarf
Junpei - Megatokyo
Luchadore - Nuff Said
Giant Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
darkfireradiant
Sev

@essex1984 - Foam seems to be the way to go. Right now I'm working with regular white sheets of syrofoam, but it's not nearly strong enough as is, so I'm trying to figure out how to strengthen it. Pink foam would be better if I could find it! XD I checked the local home improvement stores but so far no go.

I really want to get into using expanding foam, but I was told that is very hard to carve. Probably, but that means it's way stronger than Styrofoam!

Also, your tut was very helpful! Thank you for sharing that with me

@Giant Alucard - Plastic pots... that is perfect! I can get foam to give it the right shape. Any pictures you have would be highly appreciated! I heard about wonderflex, it sounds good. I have a tut I found using a heat gun to form it to shape. The end result looked way better than my Styrofoam.

The biggest problem I am having now is making the stupid newspaper and glue to stay flat. I heard of paperclay, or silk paper. Is there anything better that you guys have tried?

Thanks so much for all your advice!
darkfireradiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
essex1984

newspaper and glue?? like paper mache?

Paperclay works very well, but its has a bit diffrent use then paper mache. Where are you in the constuction process? Pics?

White styrofoam is not the same material as the pink stuff. The white stuff is made from tiny beads heated and pressed together, the pink stuff is a solid sheet alowing you cut and sand it like wood.

As far as locating the pink insulation foam goes, if your local home depot / Lows doesnt carry it, they can order it in. You can find the stock number on the website so you dont sound to silly asking for "pink foam" Foam sheathing
Unread 08-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
darkfireradiant
Sev

Haha, I already asked like an idiot for pink foam and all I got was blank stares. I forgot home depot's version was blue foam. So I got that and hopefully I'll be able to get that hammered out this weekend. Working with the white foam was much easier than cardboard and paper mache so I'm expecting my 4th try to be successful haha.

Right now the shoulders are on pause and I'm working on the robe. I've been experimenting and trying to figure out whether or not bias tape is the answer to most [all] the lining and detail work. So far.. it's working ok. I love your costume btw. How did you do the feathers from the belt? Is it craft foam or painted pink foam? The hammer is so flipping cool too.

I also started making the stanchion of primal instinct and I'm on the painting so it's almost done (yay). The first one I tried was Origin Of Nightmares and the stupid wings fell off because I got impatient and didn't wait for the spackle to dry and sort of torn them off myself getting it onto the main part of the staff. -sighs- I am just full of fail! What I really want to make is the Staff of Immaculate Recovery. Maybe when I get more practice in...

So I put that aside and now I'm on the robe. So far so good, I am liking it. I'll upload pictures here when I can. (Although not the original shoulders... I'm going to follow your tutorial and then maybe take pictures haha. The original is just embarrassing.) So I think I'm going to stick with the robe for a while and then get back to the shoulders and staff.

Are you working on the diablo costume or has it been finished? I'd love to see pictures
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Synariel
Hours, If Not Days

I've been using expanding foam (Great Stuff; like 7 bucks for a large can) for my shoulders, and it is actually very light, but stiff and strong. A small hacksaw (handheld) cuts through it very well: but I've found that my rotary tool shears through it like a hot knife through butter. The stuff is pretty awesome. I would recommend it if you enjoy carving things
And the cool thing is, if you make a mistake, just spray on more foam and retry! It is quite forgiving in that way.
I have a question myself, do you guys think that Krylon "hammered" spraypaint with drybrush acrylic over it is the way to go when looking to create a spiffy looking paintjob? Or do you guys prefer other paints? Input would be awesome. I'm looking for shiny (but not too metallic-looking) paints. I've seen "Lumiere" paints as well, they seem to look very nice.
Oh and hey Essex, I also had a question about sealing/painting the pink insulation foam. Can you just use gesso to seal it? Or is that not even necessary? Thanks in advance!
Synariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Etrina
Banshee Queen

Krylon "hammered" style is VERY finicky - you have to spray it JUST right to get the exact texture that shows on the lid. If you're willing to spend an awful lot of time painting then the stuff is great - just take it easy and build on it slowly and it should work out.

I dunno how well it would bond to that foam stuff youre talking about though - it's mostly for wood and plastics afaik

Upcoming Events:
Blizzcon 2010

Upcoming Cosplays
Codex of The Guild - 40% || Lady Sylvanas Windrunner - 8% (patterning) || Vanille FFXIII

Dreamscape my blog
Follow me on Twitter!
Etrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
darkfireradiant
Sev

I've heard good things about using Gesso to seal foam, so I think it should work just fine. I'm using an old fauz glaze I had from another project forever ago and it seals pretty well. I think anything that gives a water-tight seal should be fine for foam. Just test a spot so you can make sure it's foam friendly. I've never used the hammered paint, so I don't know much about it.

I finally got my rotary tool working so I think I'll give expanding foam a try. The fact that you can add more if you mess up sounds awesome to me lol. Thanks
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
essex1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synariel View Post
Oh and hey Essex, I also had a question about sealing/painting the pink insulation foam. Can you just use gesso to seal it? Or is that not even necessary? Thanks in advance!
I use Gesso, 2 coats seems to work fine. I also make sure to smooth the foam out using light modeling paste to fill cracks and depressions.

Gesso is almost a must unless you will be covering it with something due to the fact that most paints dont like pink / light blue as an undercoat
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Synariel
Hours, If Not Days

Thanks very much guys !
Synariel is offline   Reply With Quote