Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

View Poll Results: Do you understand this?
Yes 111 78.72%
No 3 2.13%
I still have a ton of questions 15 10.64%
TL;DR 12 8.51%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

A simplified guide to nutrition.

Okay, so I have promised since the making of this board, that I would make a nutrition sticky. To me, diet and exercise go hand and hand if you want the best results in appearance. Proper eating can increase your strength, cleanse your body, fight disease, make you look younger, the list goes on. So why don't I share a few things on eating right?

Rules You Have To Know

The first rule you should know right away is all the diets you read/see on TV movies magazines etc. Are generally a pack of lies tied together in a ribbon. The weight loss industry can make much more money if they keep you fat, and gimmick you in their next weight loss solution. I think there is much more Profit in honesty though.

Starving yourself is not dieting. This is what I hate about with these after school specials that end with the be happy with your body because clearly you've tried everything and lets face it you're going to stay fat message. Let me be clear there is nothing bad about being happy with your body, but usually in these after school specials they always show the person starving themselves in order to loose weight. That's not dieting, its starvation!

Proper Diet 101

When it comes to proper diet, its important to understand how much you eat. Every body type varies in one way or another. To figure that out we are going to use Scooby's calorie calculator. Scooby is a 50+ Y/O bodybuilder who has been giving free advice for quite some time now helping A LOT of people get their lives on track. The thing I like about this calculator is it covers how much protein, carbs, and veggies you should take.

From there we just need to know what is okay to eat.

Carbs: look for darker carbs such as whole wheat, oats, and whole grains.

Protein: this has the most variety as far as what to eat. All you really have to do here is look out for the fat of the meat and cut it out. Ground beef be particularly careful of making sure to avoid the fat form that. Just look for lean ground beef like 95% lean. Vegetarians get protein too! tofu, soy, whey, the list goes on! seafood is good as long as you skip the butter.

Veggies: again quite the variety! 1 cup of pretty much any veggie is a serving. the exception is salad greens, those are worth two cups. I personally skip out on corn because technically you do not digest it. AND BEFORE ANYONE GOES ON AN ALL CORN DIET TRUST ME THAT DOES NOT END VERY WELL.

Dairy: Again just make sure you get it fat free. check the labels for this one. You want to avoid trans fat. the other fats on the label are healthy fats your body needs. For anyone lactose intolerant; soy milk and other non lactose things are great as well!

Fruit: 1 medium sized fruit, 1 cup of berries or chopped fruit count as a serving. Strawberries sliced you can eat two cups!

Condiments: just try using fat free stuff. light salad dressing and honey are my favorite! you can use peanut butter too but remember its a healthy fat as well. I have a max of three heaping teaspoons of peanut butter.

Healthy fats: I suggest olive oil. Peanut butter is awesome too! just look for natural if you can! fish oil is great too! keep a limmit on it

For more food options take a look at Michi's ladder. Just ignore the protein carb labels, they will only confuse you. Just classify them as you normally would.

If you are lost on serving portions just use the palm of your hand as a measuring tool. The palm of your hand can be used as an emergency way to measure one serving of pretty much anything.

Further information will be written in my journal!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 01-24-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Kasinator
Not quite human

Writing space for future information.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.

Last edited by Kasinator : 10-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
T.S. Elliot
Robo

Impressive!
T.S. Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

thanks for this, it's really helpful! You really broke it down simply.
In the works: Dark Mousy, DNAngel | InuYasha, InuYasha

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Kimi_Bunny

Kas I did not see a Chocolate catagory on the list. Small oversite I'm sure. j/k
Good info! I can not emphasize what Kasinator wrote enough. It worked for me!
Now to start my yoga then float in the pool.

Lulu - FFX Saturday 4pm

Alcyone - Magic Knights Rayearth Undecided

Morrigan - Darkstalkers Saturday 9pm

Boa Hancock First Appearance Friday 4pm & Wedding Daydream One Piece Saturday 11am

Mortal Kombat Princess Kitana Friday 9pm

"Go Hard or Go Home"
Kimi_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
sythe2010

Works for me but I know most of it already. I would recommend adding a little to the fat section. Olive oil is good but I'm sure there's people struggling with what else to eat. How about throwing in some more suggestions like healthy nuts/natural peanut butter?

I disagree with the ground beef. What about if it's lean ground beef? Like 90% lean?

Other than that looks like a good starter guide for people!
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
distantarray

but but but.... i want to try a all corn diet..... I wanna see what happens the next day =)
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Kasinator
Not quite human

I updated my journal. Take a look!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
chinna

What about fasting for relgious purposes? Should I still workout? I get up around 5 eat a lot [protein shake, 2 bottles water, and rice, oatmeal, and pretty much what ever i can find thats healthy(no junk)] and then no food/water until 8pm so its a bit late to do a workout then. I can also fast a 'half' a day and break it at 12pm or not at all. I just to make sure I'm not severly setting my self back from my goals.
San - princess mononoke (99%)
chinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinna View Post
What about fasting for relgious purposes? Should I still workout? I get up around 5 eat a lot [protein shake, 2 bottles water, and rice, oatmeal, and pretty much what ever i can find thats healthy(no junk)] and then no food/water until 8pm so its a bit late to do a workout then. I can also fast a 'half' a day and break it at 12pm or not at all. I just to make sure I'm not severly setting my self back from my goals.
O.O I never considered that to be honest. Given that circumstance I would schedule your exercises so fasting falls on your resting day. and make sure you do eat enough for the day. I suggest looking into casein protein shakes too. use them particularly for fasting days and not exercise post workout shakes. the slow digesting proteins should help keep up metabolism, but not make you as hungry as you normally would be. Above all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!! If you need to go "half day" do so. otherwise you can have problems.

Admittedly I've never ran into a case like this, But I can understand how much priority religion takes. I would seriously consult a nutritionist if you want professional advice on this. I really don't want people to get hurt

My workout
What to eat

Last edited by Kasinator : 08-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
O.O I never considered that to be honest. Given that circumstance I would schedule your exercises so fasting falls on your resting day. and make sure you do eat enough for the day. I suggest looking into casein protein shakes too. use them particularly for fasting days and not exercise post workout shakes. the slow digesting proteins should help keep up metabolism, but not make you as hungry as you normally would be. Above all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!! If you need to go "half day" do so. otherwise you can have problems.

Admittedly I've never ran into a case like this, But I can understand how much priority religion takes. I would seriously consult a nutritionist if you want professional advice on this. I really don't want people to get hurt
LOL if i had to fast for religious purposes (i dunno if your allowed to drink milk) but I'd mix so much powdered milk into a glass of whole milk to make it thick as a milkshake and chug it down. All the casein protein curdles in your stomach so it'll be like you ate a block of cheese lol
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
noirstar45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinna View Post
I'm going to take you're doing this for Ramadan? I think there is an NFL player who is doing this. You may google the article. I think what his doctor told him was to try and drink a protein shake at midnight and eat most of his calories before sunrise and after sunset.

I found the article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-261068

Last edited by noirstar45 : 08-12-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: found the article
noirstar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
Kasinator
Not quite human

got to bump this. nobody knows it exists apparently.

My workout
What to eat

Unread 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Gumdrop

Hmm,I found this helpful.
Gumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

this is nifty, I didn't know I was so healthy already ><

OH

and a tip for anybody who's curious. you CAN go on an all baby corn diet if you want :'D babycorn, isn't actually corn at all <3 and it's taseyyy D8

*has a cabinet shelf dedicated to baby corns*
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote