Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Hoshigumo

Jack

So I'm poking around online and come across the Mass Effect costumes from this year's Comic Con. And it occurs to me that I don't have working knowledge of any of the techniques used to create them. And then it occurs to me that the best costumes are always the simple ones, done right, worn by someone with roughly the right proportions who is able to rock the hell out of the character.

And also, I see that no one's made Jack yet. Well, that's posted about it. Pics or it didn't happen.

Anyways, I've decided to go with a fleshtoned suit and airbrushing stencils to get the tattoos and still retain some modesty. I've got a good idea of what they look like and how thye're laid out, but I'm quickly realizing there's a ton of detail to them (not to mention the slightly raised scar patterns, oy). While there's quite a few screencaps online, I wonder if any of the ME fans here have any images they wouldn't mind sharing in the name of SCIENCE. Shots of her back would be particularly helpful.
Hoshigumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshigumo View Post
So I'm poking around online and come across the Mass Effect costumes from this year's Comic Con. And it occurs to me that I don't have working knowledge of any of the techniques used to create them. And then it occurs to me that the best costumes are always the simple ones, done right, worn by someone with roughly the right proportions who is able to rock the hell out of the character.

And also, I see that no one's made Jack yet. Well, that's posted about it. Pics or it didn't happen.

Anyways, I've decided to go with a fleshtoned suit and airbrushing stencils to get the tattoos and still retain some modesty. I've got a good idea of what they look like and how thye're laid out, but I'm quickly realizing there's a ton of detail to them (not to mention the slightly raised scar patterns, oy). While there's quite a few screencaps online, I wonder if any of the ME fans here have any images they wouldn't mind sharing in the name of SCIENCE. Shots of her back would be particularly helpful.
There are actually two Jacks in progress, and both are slotted to be worn in the next few weeks!
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2613787/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2636437/

Theres a lot of us in the main Mass Effect costume discussion if you'd like to ask there on any tips .
In the meantime, here are screenshots complimentary from JXIII
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Hoshigumo

I'll scream if I come across anything else, but the screenshots help immensely. Thank you!
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Straathom

Good luck to all the Jacks out there I thought the in-game model of Jack was probably the most beautiful face they've ever pulled off in the series, absolute win of a character. (Plus, some chicks can really pull off the shaved head look ).
Straathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Hoshigumo

"Good luck"--pretty appropriate sentiment. (Just kidding.)

You're right, she's gotta be the most beautiful and one of the most natural, expressive models in the series so far. She's not my favorite character, but I knew I wanted to do a ME cosplay and I thought at 5'1" and 115lbs., probably the most believable on me. There's a bit of difference in our faces though, so I'll probably do a makeup test this week just to be sure I can fake her gorgeous cheekbones (and those lips).

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to go with actually shaving, with a cap, or...dare I suggest? Going with a hairstyle from the concept art. I don't know how much wrath this will incur from other ME fans. I just know how much wrath I will incur with my significant other if I don't find a way to keep my hair. We'll see though!
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Straathom

You could theoretically be Jack before she "joined a cult, [and] kept the haircut."
Straathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwsg x View Post
...here are screenshots complimentary from JXIII
DUDE, I CANNOT THANK MR. JXIII ENOUGH. These have been my pattern for my bodysuit - here's some progress:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2648948/big/

The only thing to watch out for with his images is the left arm - the one with the portraits on it. After playing the game, I noticed this arm image was reversed - you can tell by looking at her scars, which are symmetrical, that the image is reversed. I almost made a huge blunder before noticing that! Glad I caught it! XD

Here's some more references of her scars and tattoos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1355847...7624504195974/

edit to not double post:
@Hoshigumo: I say GO FOR THE ALTERNATE DESIGNS. I like a lot of those outfits better than what she ended up with. I also can't believe they designed all those cool hairstyles for her, and in the end they all sat in some board meeting and decided "mmm, nope. Bald. Gotta go with bald." But I am partial to the bald look - it is my fave. :3

Last edited by Jia Jem : 07-30-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Jia Jem is offline   Reply With Quote