Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Pokemon Trainer Cosplay

<_< So, I just recently got Pokemon X, and one thing that I'm having fun with is the fact that you can change the look of your trainer. ( http://www.serebii.net/xy/customisation.shtml) So that got me to thinking.. Does anyone ever cosplay this? I know there are Ginjinka cosplays, and people who cosplay canon characters, but what about making a cosplay centered around a customization you put together in game?

Y'see I'm really not worried about this "being allowed" or not, because "cosplay what makes you happy and all that!" I'm more worried about being mistaken for just going around in street clothes. (Though I guess I could carry around a pokeball or plush pokemon to help with that)

EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
MidoriUma

On the flip side, you now have a cosplay you can wear around every day to work, school, the mall, whatever. You know, for those occasions when the 3D maneuver gear is a bit too much :P

Upcoming 2015 Conventions:

FrostCon Anime Central Anime North Otakon (maybe) Otakuthon Youmacon

Always happy to team up with new partners/groups!
MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriUma View Post
On the flip side, you now have a cosplay you can wear around every day to work, school, the mall, whatever. You know, for those occasions when the 3D maneuver gear is a bit too much :P

Ha ha.. so true! Not to mention the tote/purse would be insanely useful for a con!
Unread 04-06-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
giratinaa
Altered Forme

My friend had the same issue, but you gotta keep your head held high no matter what people say or think

You could also hold a sign or something saying "PKMN Trainer _____ would like to battle!" or something :P If I were you, I would be going around challenging people to Pokemon battles! Just be confident, a cosplay is about becoming a fictional character. There's nothing that says they have to be canon at all <3

EDIT: I'm in love with the second costume!
giratinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
IscahRambles

I've wondered the same thing. There are lots of pretty outfits in XY! (I quite like the black/red blouse-and-vest you can get in Lumiose City - very last item on the Serebii page linked in the original post.)

I think carrying Pokéballs or a plushie would be enough of a clue to let people know where you're from....
IscahRambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
ChibiDannimon

I like how Pokemon X and Y let you customize your Character and I hope for the next generation they will have more options *Kinda disappointed that they didnt do it for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby*

As far as your cosplay, Im sure all of the Pokemon cosplayers will recognize you as the Girl Trainer from Pokemon X and Y or they call you Serena *the name given to her in the Anime*

2015 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Batgirl - DC Comics, New 52 Version from Batgirl #35
Finn - Adventure Time
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
Officer Jenny Kanto Region - Pokemon
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by giratinaa View Post
My friend had the same issue, but you gotta keep your head held high no matter what people say or think

You could also hold a sign or something saying "PKMN Trainer _____ would like to battle!" or something :P If I were you, I would be going around challenging people to Pokemon battles! Just be confident, a cosplay is about becoming a fictional character. There's nothing that says they have to be canon at all <3

EDIT: I'm in love with the second costume!

Well, technically I'd be recreating outfits and hairstyles used in game.. so it would be canon! (least in my opinion it would be) It's like cosplaying a character from an MMO where you can customize your own characters.

Like I said.. my main fear is, people thinking that I'm NOT cosplaying. I'm one of those people who does like some attention and if an entire convention goes by without someone asking for a photo or such, I get rather depressed. Like the pictures I posted, those are outfits that heck, I would wear on a normal every day day. I want people to see me and go "Oh hey! That's one of the outfits you can get in Pokemon XY, that's so cool!" and not think "Oh hey, normal girl carrying around a pokemon doll."
Unread 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
giratinaa
Altered Forme

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEC_HYMME_MACARON View Post
Well, technically I'd be recreating outfits and hairstyles used in game.. so it would be canon! (least in my opinion it would be) It's like cosplaying a character from an MMO where you can customize your own characters.

Like I said.. my main fear is, people thinking that I'm NOT cosplaying. I'm one of those people who does like some attention and if an entire convention goes by without someone asking for a photo or such, I get rather depressed. Like the pictures I posted, those are outfits that heck, I would wear on a normal every day day. I want people to see me and go "Oh hey! That's one of the outfits you can get in Pokemon XY, that's so cool!" and not think "Oh hey, normal girl carrying around a pokemon doll."
Hm... Well in that case, maybe you could dress up as the default character from XY? There's not much you can do about this, really :c
Unless you have some object with you that shows you're a trainer from XY (like... maybe a doll from the Kalos region?) there wouldn't be a proper way to tell the difference unless you find someone who has actually played the games. I don't think you'd have much luck with photos wither, unfortunately... But that shouldn't stop you from cosplaying who you want!
giratinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I would like to second the idea of a sign! I'd make like a pokemon style speech bubble sign like this

Then it would be really clear what you were, and it'd be super cute too!
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
I would like to second the idea of a sign! I'd make like a pokemon style speech bubble sign like this

Then it would be really clear what you were, and it'd be super cute too!

^^; Nice idea, but at my local convention, signs are banned. Doesn't matter what they say, they're not allowed.

That said, I suppose I could go with the idea of carrying around a pokemon doll or two and or a few pokeballs.

Haa~ I know I'm having a slightly silly worry here. But I just, well I don't want to be isolated? I guess is the best way of putting it?

That said.. I probably will do it just because

LOOK AT ALL THEM CUTE OUTFITS. LOOKIT.

( That said, the pink hat, the one being worn with th pink dress, does anyone know what type of hat that is? )

Last edited by EXEC_HYMME_MACARON : 04-08-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
AnimeLuxray25
v I made them all. v

I think cosplaying your trainer's original look would be really creative! Definitely carry a Pokéball or plushie (or three) around since you can't bring signs. It'd be better if you had a pal dressed as a Pokémon with you--groups help recognition. Don't let it stop you regardless. ^^ I think someone is bound to recognize you or at least take a guess at it.

OOH, I got an idea! If you have a small plushie or small Pokeball by chance, why don't you attach one to your costume somewhere? Or even a couple? (i.e. the hat)

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 35%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Scunosi

I would say the outfit's not a problem, and a few people would likely recognize you with the proper context (accessories, hanging out in a "Pokémon" area) but if you're concerned about attention I'd recommend against doing this cosplay. Unless you get it spot-on and look exactly like the model, you will just look like you're going in plainclothes.

What I'd suggest is doing either the "canon" outfit (Serena from the show) but even that's kind of plain, or one of the more fantastical outfits. There is that cute Slurpuff dress you can get in the endgame that I've never seen anyone do, or perhaps one of the new Contest gijinka-style outfits. Unless this was going to be a closet cosplay, I don't think it'd be a good idea to put all that work in just to get looked over.

Costumes
Amethyst-Steven Universe-nearing completion for Sakuracon
fem!Medic-TF2-nearing completion for Sakuracon
Blaziken-Pokemon-nearing completion for a friend for Sakuracon
Garnet-Steven Universe-only just started, aiming for PAX Prime completion
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #13
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEC_HYMME_MACARON View Post
^^; Nice idea, but at my local convention, signs are banned. Doesn't matter what they say, they're not allowed.
.....freakin "free hugs" pervs ruining cosplay opportunities.....
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote