Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Interrupted while cosmaking

Have you ever been suddenly interrupted when you were cosmaking and did it piss you off?

Today I was starting to work in one of the clothpieces of my Izumi cosplay and I was ready to start while suddenly a friend sent me a SMS asking me to chat I was like inside.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Oh I'm in a constant state of being interrupted from my work. I've learned to start months in advance.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

One of my newer roommates is a total "bro" sort, who as a result interrupts me regularly to talk about stupid shit while I'm trying to work (and actually work, I'm not just making personal cosplays). However, he finally clued in to "Don't interrupt me needlessly between 1 to 7 pm when my door is closed, my lamps are on, the sewing machine is running and I'm at my sewing table because for all effective purposes I am AT WORK" after a few days. For the most part.:P
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
AlbinoShadow

My friends/acquaintances are so used to it I just keep working while they're around, unless I planned ahead of time to spend non-cosplay time with them. Sometimes I'll be like, "I'm going to the print shop to spray paint some stuff" and a non-cosplaying friend will come along just to hang out. I dunno. But it's easier with casual in-person contact.

If someone wants to have an IM chat or play board games or otherwise occupy my hands during my cosplay time and they don't tell me ahead of time, I am much the same: I will feel extremely irritated. Then I will start to make excuses to deflect them, starting out very polite and then getting desperate. Finally they will probably win and I will spend the rest of the day irritated that my cosplay time is gone. So it goes.
AlbinoShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My phone is a distraction in general. I find no one brothers me UNTIL I'm in the middle of pinning something or have half a sleeve sewn on the machine.

Last month, I was in the "groove" of cosplaying...Cutting fabric and pinning a complex part of the costume and my sister, out of the blue, calls to say she's downstairs. She was like "I'm in the neighbourhood; do I want to go shopping. AUGH! NO! I want to finish this b**ch of a cosplay.
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
almiegeddon

i live with my family and they're the type of family that don't know the meaning of the word privacy or respecting someone's space so they pretty much just knock/come in whenever they want. at least they're not too mean or rude about it and if i tell them to not disturb me, they're nice enough to do so but i constantly have to repeat myself because they apparently "forget" that i asked to be alone and that's the part that gets annoying.

also, my walls are super thin and both my dad and brother love to play their music super loud so i often have to concentrate twice as hard to get my work done. i put my headphones on too, but when you're hunched over, sewing or gluing, you definitely don't want headphone cables in the way.
almiegeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

My current distractions are the two new kittens my roommate and I adopted on Saturday. They're adorable and very energetic and /very/ curious, so I have to shut my door on them to get anything done. I feel so bad when I do, though! They sit by the door and meow to be let in, but I only have two and a half weeks to finish Override Satsuki for AWA and I have to get some work done. X_X Sorry kittens!

Anime Weekend Atlanta
Mako Mankanshoku (PJs) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Credits) | Bertholdt Fubar
Geek Media Expo
Mami Tomoe | Ymir | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override)
Shadocon
Zuko | Ymir | Bertholdt Fubar | Rei Ryugazaki
Yama-con
Dagger | Ymir

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
sparqy

I usually get more irritated when people don't understand that I can't just drop what I'm doing RIGHTTHEN and go do something else. Like if I'm in the middle of casting something, or doing bondo work.
sparqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Red Comet
elite mobile suit pilot

My profession is medical laboratory technician. One of the job postings I once read had this under qualifications:
"Able to work with frequent interruptions without loss of efficiency or composure."

It is a wise man who accepts the limits of his wisdom.
-personal saying
Red Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

My friends are understanding of how busy my projects are, but sometimes I can't help but sigh in frustration when they ask me about hanging out, especially if it's something like watching movies, which is one of my least favorite things to do (unless I'm in a theater).

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Toribelle96
Ze awesome (Nyo)Prussia

I tried playing music while sewing, 30min later I looked down and realized I got so caught up singing that I stopped sewing -_- I tend to distract myself or wander away
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
lemuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by almiegeddon View Post
. i put my headphones on too, but when you're hunched over, sewing or gluing, you definitely don't want headphone cables in the way.
I've gotten to the point where i put my headphone cable down the inside of my shirt (front or back, depending) and then leave my player in my pocket so I can't catch it with scissors or whatnot.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

not interruptions per say.... but usually ill start to work on something and not have the one item i need to work on said piece. THAT makes me mad to no end >_> i swear... i had it before! now where is it. no where to be found. it doesnt help that ive moved two times in the past 5 months so unorganization is bound to happen

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

This is the main reason I put the tv on something I don't like..I use it as background noise, but if it's a show or movie I LIKE, I will totally get nothing done..I learned that the hard way..
Also, I'm the one doing the texting and distracting myself..lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #15
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
This is the main reason I put the tv on something I don't like..I use it as background noise, but if it's a show or movie I LIKE, I will totally get nothing done..I learned that the hard way..
Also, I'm the one doing the texting and distracting myself..lol
I found out that I like listening to documentaries on Youtube while working on my cosplay, especially those about serial killers make a good background noise.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is online now   Reply With Quote