Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
MarcyHunter
Will cheer 4 beer.

Cosplay/costuming at mud runs

Hey Everyone,

Whether you spend a little or lot of time and money on your costume one thing is for sure - your costume is for being seen.

Last year, around October, I started volunteering at mud runs and wore my cheerleader uniform to just about all of them. Of course, a guy as a cheerleader is very popular but I think a lot of organizers and participants love seeing people in some kind of costume cheering them on. I've actually become 'in demand' for a few organizations and they are very excited for me to be at their events. One of those organizations is Susan G Komen and they have grand plans for me this year at the Dallas 3 Day event.

I have also done a few zombie runs as a zombie cheerleader and that was a hit. I don't particularly care about zombies but it was fun be in costume chasing people trying to steal their flags.

I am going to my first cosplay event in November and might throw out the idea of having the organization collaborate with one of the mud run companies to have an event with cosplayers. I think it would be really cool and allow us to have that much more fun.

Comments and suggestions?

Thanks,
Marcy

Unread 10-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
irishattherock

Personally, I'd be worried about my costume getting dirty. None of them are easy to wash.

Working on:
Junko Enoshima (Dangan Ronpa) - 50%

Upcoming cons: New York Comic Con

Facebook | Tumblr
irishattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

Depends solely on whether or not you can clean something like worbla with a garden hoe afterwards. Because in that case, Id use my Tank costume, just for the lulz, nothing is better than a dirty tank working its way through mud and dirt.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

I'd cosplay to cheer people on, not to run in. So long as mud wasn't going to be flung my way. I know a lot of charity runs like costumed people cheering on the participants/handing out water.

I'd really love to cosplay for children's hospitals though. I'm blind and spent a lot of time in them as a kid. Love to be able to give back.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Amanita

Yeah, I wouldn't wear my costume where it might get dirty, but as a bystander- that's different. That would be fun, as long as I could be sure that no mud would be flung my way.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Dagen
Sword Mistress

I agree. I wouldn't wear a cosplay for a mud run. From what I've read basically anything you wear is a write off. They apparently have a pile at the end of it to throw away shoes because there really isn't anyway to salvage them
Dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

One outdoor con I went to ended up getting rained on, so a mud-wrestling pit was started. My brother, dressed as Free from Soul Eater, participated. The white stripes on his pants turned completely brown.

For cosplay photos and selfies please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
MarcyHunter
Will cheer 4 beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't wear my costume where it might get dirty, but as a bystander- that's different. That would be fun, as long as I could be sure that no mud would be flung my way.
There are lots of dry obstacles at mud runs where volunteers simply watch, cheer and report injuries. I think there have only been two where I've gotten muddy and/or wet - the Arctic Enema at Tough Mudder was one of those really wet ones. I was not in costume that day and I'm sure if I was they would have accommodated me.

If you're really interested you can send the companies an email and let them know what you want to do. I've had nothing but positive responses so far. The only downside is that people might want to get too close and have you pose with them for pictures.

It really is quite fun and you get to be part of something cool, usually for a charity, doing something you already enjoy.

That's my sales pitch!
Unread 10-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

Seems like it'd be a good way to weather lotr cosplay.

I would do a mud run in cosplay if it were an appropriate one to do that in but I don't have any that fit that description. If somebody had a regular cosplay 5k without mud, however, I would absolutely do that, provided it's not close to where I live.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
NeuroticallyAJ

I think if the cosplay suited the scenario, it'd make for an awesome time. Otherwise, not so much. I wouldn't want to wear a Sailor Moon cosplay to a mud run as opposed to something that'd be super fitting like... Solid Snake. But that's just me, personally. lol.

Cosplays in Progress:
Chocolina (Final Fantasy Series)
Arcade Miss Fortune (League of Legends)

Check out my FB page! (I'm a Squid fledgling though haha) http://www.facebook.com/AJCospage
NeuroticallyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder396 View Post
Depends solely on whether or not you can clean something like worbla with a garden hoe afterwards. Because in that case, Id use my Tank costume, just for the lulz, nothing is better than a dirty tank working its way through mud and dirt.
Trust me, you don't want to clean an expensive, carefully painted armor with a rough garden hoe.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
builder396
Crossplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
Trust me, you don't want to clean an expensive, carefully painted armor with a rough garden hoe.
Then the dirt will become part of the costume. a clean tank doesnt look very authentic anyway, does it?

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is online now   Reply With Quote