Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Weathering, staining and distressing a costume

So this is nothing new. I already found many other threads with helpful advice such as using sandpaper, cheese grater, tea staining etc. The issue I have is that I will be ironing on some numbers to the back of a jumpsuit (fallout vault suit). The iron on numbers I got were meant for a sports jersey, so I assume it can take some punishment. So the order in which to do these things. Should I stain first, then take the cheese grater/sandpaper to it? Would it matter? Does anyone here know a more effective way to weather and stain a costume?
TurQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Just getting a general opinion from you guys here.. should I (Or I should ask, would you) rough up and shred the material of your cosplay if it made it more authentic looking? Or would just dirtying it be enough for you?
TurQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Five Feet of POWAH!
Attach the numbers (I'd at least tack it down at some points--I always sew patches down, even if they're iron on, just in case the glue fails). I would probably stain and shred at the same time as I see fit. As for if you can just leave it at dirt and not shred it, it depends on what you're going for. It might not be necessary to make it look like you've survived a war, but at the very least, I would take some sand paper to parts that would get the most beating--knees, elbows, hems, etc.
What's this for? It's a wig.
What's it for? To disguise yourself from yourself.

StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Busy Usurping Thrones
There is hundreds of ways to weather your costume, if you haven't already check out this tutorial by MangoSirene, she gives great tips ^^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr17we7_Fv4
TheUsurperKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
I've got too much fabric!
I guess that would depend if you want to portray the vault dweller fresh out of the vault or having been through the rough wasteland. Just shoot for dirt, stains and maybe a burn if they've just been in the vault. Cuts, rips and blood stains if they've been out for a while?
I'd be gentler with the numbers, just so you don't accidentally rip them right back off though.
Cosplays in Progress:

Flannery (Pattern Fussing, Pokemon ORAS)
Kinu (Satsuki, KLK)
Wolf Dad (Planning, Wolf Children)

Booked for Otakon 2016, fingers crossed for Katsucon 2016

Tumblr Facebook
HandsomeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote