Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
ChibiDannimon
Registered User
 
ChibiDannimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 494
I cant cosplay because no character matches my skintone...

This is something that is bugging me since the topic was brought up a while back. "Whitewashing or Blackfacing in cosplay" basically when a White Person wants to cosplay as a minority character he or she is being accused of blackfacing when they change their skin color or whitewashing when they use their skin tone but still cosplay as such and such character. Like Storm from X-Men or Tiana from Princess and the Frog.

This is really troubling for me because Im mixed raced and I have a Reddish-brown skin color and that narrows my cosplay choices significantly. If Im "forced" to cosplay as someone that has my skin color then I guess I cant cosplay at all because there are no anime, game or film characters with my skin color.

Why is it such an issue when a white person wants to cosplay as a black character. We praise black people who cosplay as White or Asian characters but when a White person does it OMG HOW DARE SHE DO THAT. HOW CAN SHE or HE BE SO FUCKING RACIST.
__________________

2016 Planned Cosplays


Asuka Langley
Honoka Kousaka
Miraculous Ladybug
Serena Pokemon X & Y
Ryuko Matoi in Junketsu
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants
 
Mangochutney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,800
You're doing the thing again. Knock it off.
__________________
*
Workin' on:
Tom Petty [Final Fantasy XV] (9%)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade
 
Syon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,314
Oh my... we are at that point again? But since I need a short break from sitting on the floor and pinning fabric:

- People who complain about cosplayers not being black/white/whatever enough for a character are drama stirring assholes. Drama stirring assholes do not deserve to be listened to. Also: People who use terms such as "whitewashing" in cosplay are idiots and do not understand the meaning of those words.

- Nobody is forcing you to do or don't do anything. You are making that up in your head.

- If you are so troubled with your apperance and skin colour, why don't you look for characters that cover those issues? Why not look into characters with exotic skin colours or costumes, where you are covered from tip to toe?
__________________
Me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SyonCosplay
Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/syoncos/

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
ManneQuinn
Literal Trash
 
ManneQuinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 50
The only time where people are rightfully mad about stuff like this is if the cosplayer is literally doing blackface. Other than that, the people who say stuff like "You can't cosplay (character) because you aren't that race" are genuinely just annoying and looking for a fight. Pretty much every post on here that I've seen about things like this (weight, skin colour, etc) have all been met with "Cosplay whoever you want", so I have no idea where you are getting this cosplay gatekeeping nonsense from.

At the end of the day, we are all just nerds dressed up as fictional characters.
__________________
Cosplays for 2016/17 (hopefully!):
Synchronised Ryuko (Kill la Kill) : Done!!
Great Fair (Legend of Zelda OoT) : Sourcing Materials
Tali (Mass Effect 2 default ver) : Planning/Sourcing Materials
Hatsune Miku (Dark Woods Circus ver. /Vocaloid) : Planning/Sourcing Materials

ManneQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau
 
Maurishio-kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,451
But you've been doing it for years, if you say it until now it means that someone told you recently.
__________________
Visit my art page at
mau506sk.deviantart.com

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Respawning
Registered User
 
Respawning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneQuinn View Post
The only time where people are rightfully mad about stuff like this is if the cosplayer is literally doing blackface. Other than that, the people who say stuff like "You can't cosplay (character) because you aren't that race" are genuinely just annoying and looking for a fight. Pretty much every post on here that I've seen about things like this (weight, skin colour, etc) have all been met with "Cosplay whoever you want", so I have no idea where you are getting this cosplay gatekeeping nonsense from.

At the end of the day, we are all just nerds dressed up as fictional characters.
This exactly. It would be like saying I can't cosplay as an elf because I'm not an elf. Unless you are actually doing blackface or something equally disgusting and racist (I'm looking at you old Hollywood) then go right ahead.
__________________
Make good art. ~Neil Gaiman

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Morrigan, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri


part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Shienra
Registered User
 
Shienra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneQuinn View Post
The only time where people are rightfully mad about stuff like this is if the cosplayer is literally doing blackface. Other than that, the people who say stuff like "You can't cosplay (character) because you aren't that race" are genuinely just annoying and looking for a fight. Pretty much every post on here that I've seen about things like this (weight, skin colour, etc) have all been met with "Cosplay whoever you want", so I have no idea where you are getting this cosplay gatekeeping nonsense from.

At the end of the day, we are all just nerds dressed up as fictional characters.
I second this as well. Blackfacing is really racist, otherwise you should do what you want.

Although I must admit there are some 'toxic' environments on the internet which would give me second thoughts as well. I read that a teenage girl cosplaying Isabela from Dragon age was heavily bullied on tumblr because she used something to tan her skin (she did not paint it). But then again the 'dragon age fandom' on tumblr is extremely shitty sometimes.
And stuff like that makes my blood start boiling. (whoops tiny rant here)
__________________
Working on
Ciri - The witcher (80%)
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (10%)



//Instagram//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal
 
belligerent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,028
Quote:
But then again the 'dragon age fandom' on tumblr is extremely shitty sometimes.
there are so many characters from that i don't think i will ever cosplay just because i know I will get shit for it that far outweighs the amount of enjoyment i will get from making it. i don't know what attracts those people to that fandom.

as for OP, my assignment for you is to come up with one thing you like about cosplay for every thing you complain about re: cosplay. if you can't do that, maybe you should re-evaluate why you do it, since it seems to stress you out quite a bit.
__________________
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 08-08-2016 at 11:31 AM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Syon
leads the crusade
 
Syon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienra View Post
I read that a teenage girl cosplaying Isabela from Dragon age was heavily bullied on tumblr because she used something to tan her skin (she did not paint it). But then again the 'dragon age fandom' on tumblr is extremely shitty sometimes.
Correction: Tumblr simply is an extremely shitty place "sometimes".
The problem aren't the specific fandoms, but the fact, that tumblr attracts all the wrong people. People who are entitled, self-absorbed, have extremist views and are not "just" fans, but chose to obsess over fandoms. They are like the trolls on 4chan, just worse in a ridicoulus way.
__________________
Me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SyonCosplay
Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/syoncos/

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...
 
AlaizabelCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienra View Post
I second this as well. Blackfacing is really racist, otherwise you should do what you want.

Although I must admit there are some 'toxic' environments on the internet which would give me second thoughts as well. I read that a teenage girl cosplaying Isabela from Dragon age was heavily bullied on tumblr because she used something to tan her skin (she did not paint it). But then again the 'dragon age fandom' on tumblr is extremely shitty sometimes.
And stuff like that makes my blood start boiling. (whoops tiny rant here)
The Steven Universe fandom on Tumblr can be just like this. According to them, if you aren't fat, you can't cosplay Amethyst or Rose Quartz. I AM a fat girl and there are way worse examples of fatshaming than skinny girls cosplaying fat girls. I've also seen white girls get hate for cosplaying Garnet. Last I checked, the SU characters are aliens who do not have a race (other than, of course, being gemstones).

Anyway, to the OP, here's what I say:

I am fat. I still cosplay skinny girls (and sometimes I cosplay skinny girls wearing skimpy things) because life is too short to whine about what I'm not.

Also, my boyfriend is mixed race. He's half black, half latino. While sometimes I'll suggest characters that work well for his skin tone (and he always welcomes my suggestions...most of the time I end up picking characters that are part of a couple since I wanna do a couples cosplay with him at some point), at the end of the day he still cosplays whoever he wants.

At the end of the day, that's how it should be.
__________________


Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.respawnseries.com/
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
Yog0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaizabelCray View Post
The Steven Universe fandom on Tumblr can be just like this. According to them, if you aren't fat, you can't cosplay Amethyst or Rose Quartz. I AM a fat girl and there are way worse examples of fatshaming than skinny girls cosplaying fat girls. I've also seen white girls get hate for cosplaying Garnet. Last I checked, the SU characters are aliens who do not have a race (other than, of course, being gemstones).
Wait what? How in the hell are people mad that a skinny girl is cosplaying an overweight character? WTF is wrong with people?
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
Yog0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDannimon View Post
This is something that is bugging me since the topic was brought up a while back. "Whitewashing or Blackfacing in cosplay" basically when a White Person wants to cosplay as a minority character he or she is being accused of blackfacing when they change their skin color or whitewashing when they use their skin tone but still cosplay as such and such character. Like Storm from X-Men or Tiana from Princess and the Frog.

This is really troubling for me because Im mixed raced and I have a Reddish-brown skin color and that narrows my cosplay choices significantly. If Im "forced" to cosplay as someone that has my skin color then I guess I cant cosplay at all because there are no anime, game or film characters with my skin color.

Why is it such an issue when a white person wants to cosplay as a black character. We praise black people who cosplay as White or Asian characters but when a White person does it OMG HOW DARE SHE DO THAT. HOW CAN SHE or HE BE SO FUCKING RACIST.
Actually you can cosplay whoever you want. Just because someone *claims* something is racist doesn't mean its racist. Don't listen to haters, be who you want to be and if someone says something ignore them. I guarantee you no one will kick you out (unless you violate the dress code). Don't care about losers and their opinions do what you want, cosplay is about expression not conformity.
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
DarkEyedStray
Registered User
 
DarkEyedStray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 38
The other week I stumbled upon someone who made a post online saying "x race can't cosplay x character". Initially I let the post frustrate me for a bit also considering this is a character I really like. Honestly though why give someone so ignorant the time of day? It sucks horrible people like those are in the cosplay community trying to dictate our choices of character. These days people are so entitled and overly sensitive to the extreme they are offended by everything and anything and have no shame about voicing their moronic opinions. You can't please everyone no matter what. So do what I do and don't care what people think. We need to cosplay for ourselves without being fearful of opinions such as those.

Last edited by DarkEyedStray : 08-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
DarkEyedStray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.
 
Lost Cause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 201
Honestly, aside from that "white people shouldn't cosplay" troll thread we had a few weeks ago, I've not seen anyone getting stick for being the quote-unquote "wrong" ethnicity.
__________________
WIP
PteraRanger / MMPR Pink Ranger
Hanayo Koizumi (School uniform)

To Do
Sailor Mercury (Classic Anime - remake of brought)
Kyouko Sakura (Magical Girl)
Hanayo Koizumi (undecided idol costumes)
"Sakura Saber" / Souji Okita
Also open to suggestions (*hint hint*)
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
DarkEyedStray
Registered User
 
DarkEyedStray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 38
I've seen those mentalities plenty of times on various social media platforms. Especially THAT certain place which really should be avoided as mentioned previously.
DarkEyedStray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.