Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-16-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
RockyDaRacePony
Clueless Cosplayer

Cosplaying in Disney World?

Hello everybody!

So I know there is a rule in place at the Disney Parks that says adults aren't supposed to dress like characters, however I was wondering if this applies to all costumes or if they would let you in dressed up as something not Disney.

The reason I ask is because my family might be planning a trip to Disney around Christmas time, and I'd like to cosplay as Little Red from Into the Woods one day. Red isn't really a Disney character from the parks, but I'm worried about getting through because Into the Woods is technically a Disney film.

Do you think I'd be ok? Or should I just leave the idea at home instead?
RockyDaRacePony is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Yeah, they're gonna make you change. Disney has no mercy. Disneybounding is okay, but if it looks like a legitimate costume, they're not gonna care if it's Disney or not because other guests are going to assume that you are employed by them, and then if you do something that isn't Disney appropriate, it reflects badly on them.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 01:09 AM   #3
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Unless it's for the "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween" event, the answer is NO.

Disneyland & Disney World are not the best places, that you can cosplay fairytale, anime, superheroes or sci-fi characters. (Unless it's Halloween, and you had paid a separate admission ticket to go to the "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween" event. The event is the only time of the year that adults can wear those type of costumes.)

Remember, the Disney theme parks are not anime or sci-fi conventions. They are privately owned theme parks.

The reason for this, is because they don't want the kids to confuse you with the Disney cast members in their costumes. They have very strict standards on how the costumed Disney cast members should behave in public, and they don't want someone else with the same costume from the outside, to reflect badly on them. Those are their rules, and you have to comply with them, if you want to get inside their property. (But you can cosplay outside of their property as much as you want.)

The Disney theme parks are all private properties. They are not public properties, and they do not belong to the city or the local government. (Being that it's a private property, they have their own rules, and laws.) If you don't agree with it, you don't have to go inside. (You are subject to their rules, once you go inside.) Being that it's private property, they also have the full right to ask you to change your costumed outfit or leave, if you insist in breaking their rules.

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-16-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

I've heard way too many stories of people getting kicked out of Disney World because they were in cosplay.

Don't chance it.
- Clear (DRAMAtical Murder)
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Syon

No adults in costume means no adults in costume. A pretty clear rule.
Unread 04-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Star Schnauzer

Not worth getting kicked out of Disney. Maybe you could try to talk to the characters to get tips on their costumes?
Congregate
Cosplay America
Kanticon
Florence comic con

Costumes Completed
Rock & Benny Black Lagoon
Sir Integra Hellsing(rule 63) & Hellsing Merc
Mina Hazuki (rule 63) Darker than Black 2 & Black Reaper Darker Than Black 1-2
Zwei---Phantom of Inferno
Star Gate SG-1
Soul Eater--Spirit
MHI "Lizard Hunters", "Los Alamos" Branch MHI
MCB agent/operator
Desert Punk
Welcome to Night Vale Boy scout
Resident Evil--UMBRELLA scientist
Star Schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

The characters don't make their costumes; they're hired to fit the ones that are already made. Make-up tips might be a thing for certain characters, as long as talking about it doesn't count as breaking character. They're working pros and they're not supposed to do that either.

Theme parks aren't really the greatest places for photos anyway, which is why I figure you're thinking about this. There's always people in the background, signs, etc. And if it's just for fun, a theme park still isn't the best place. Even if it wouldn't get you kicked out (it would), you'll have more fun in something comfortable, low-maintenance, and easy to move around in.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I can tell you right now, the character's aren't going to talk about their costumes or their makeup. That's getting dangerously close to saying they're a performer and not actually Cinderella/Elsa/Ariel, so they'll just deflect and move on. Don't make things awkward (and potentially risk the performer's job) by asking about things that break the illusion.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
KaiM0n
SillyNerk

I figure disneymania wouldn't allow costumes. If youre a lrp fan you're probably thinking of bringing a Sheath to hide you props and think its ok. They more than likely wont allow those either. Though I don't know if other adventure parks like six flags allow costumes. But I figure it would just be a hassle getting in and out of rides. Risk damaging costume or holding up the line getting into ride because of costume. But if you plan o n.a. just chilling it should be ok. I wouldn't waste the money or time. Chill at the park with your friends hassle free.
-Currently on the verge of girl genius

Last edited by KaiM0n : 04-16-2015 at 12:52 PM.
KaiM0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

The Disney actors are like a cult. They have very strict rules about breaking character, so if you ask them about their costume or something, they probably have the perfect, in-character deflection answer already prepared.

You could probably get away with a VERY casual cosplay, as long as there is no chance it can be mistaken for a Disney actor, but it honestly isn't even worth it at that point. Plus I've heard horror stories of people wearing wigs on rides lol

You're better off just going as you and enjoying the park.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
AnimeLuxray25
v I made them all. v

Reminds me of a story a long time ago when this lady tried to get into Disneyland dressed as Tinkerbell and she was turned away at the door and made a whole story of it on the news. But yeah, leave the costuming to the cast members who work there for the reasons people have said. On the other hand, you can easily get away with cosplaying different characters at Disney who wear fairly normal clothes. Nobody would tell.

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 35%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Reminds me of a story a long time ago when this lady tried to get into Disneyland dressed as Tinkerbell and she was turned away at the door and made a whole story of it on the news.

That happened in 2012. 15 year old April Spielman raised a real big stink in the news, when Disney World wouldn't let her in with her Tinkerbell costume, and Disney told her that her costume could easily be mistaken for a Disney cast member. They actually didn't ban her, but told her that she could come back, if she just removes the costume. (She just refused to accept the fact, that the Disney theme parks has a strict rule about adults wearing a costume at the theme park.)

As a special consolation to her, Disney gave her a free t-shirt to wear instead of her costume, and they also provided her family with FastPass tickets. (But she still whined & complained big time how badly Disney mistreated her on the news. She seemed to really think that, the Disney rules about adult costumes should not apply to her.)

"My make-up took 2 hours, my hair took another hour, and then I had to spray my body in glitter and paint my nails."

"They said I looked too good,"

"It just broke my heart. I didn't want to take off the costume."

-Quotes from April Spielman

Here's the news article about it.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...03/07/1974960/

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Yeaaaaah, that was ridiculous. I understand the painstaking process of makeup, hair, costuming, etc. and how awesome it feels to walk around in costume... we all do. But the rules are clear and as much as it sucks, people need to understand that the park is liable for anything that happens involving one of their actors. If a kid mistook that girl for an Disney actor and she like, kicked the kid in the face or something, the park would be liable and have a huge lawsuit on their hands. She's lucky they even gave her free stuff.

EDIT:

I just quickly went to the Disney World website, clicked on "Park Rules", and found the following:

Quote:
d.Proper attire, including shoes and shirts, must be worn at all times. We reserve the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that we consider inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests. Visible tattoos that could be considered inappropriate, such as those containing objectionable language or designs, are not permitted. Special events may have additional attire guidelines.
Quote:
PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES

The following activities are not allowed:
c.Engaging with other Guests or impeding the operation while posing as or portraying any character in costume.
It is VERY clearly stated in the rules. lol

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.

Last edited by Akiyhrah : 04-16-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #14
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
Reminds me of a story a long time ago when this lady tried to get into Disneyland dressed as Tinkerbell and she was turned away at the door and made a whole story of it on the news. But yeah, leave the costuming to the cast members who work there for the reasons people have said. On the other hand, you can easily get away with cosplaying different characters at Disney who wear fairly normal clothes. Nobody would tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
That happened in 2012. 15 year old April Spielman raised a real big stink in the news, when Disney World wouldn't let her in with her Tinkerbell costume, and Disney told her that her costume could easily be mistaken for a Disney cast member. They actually didn't ban her, but told her that she could come back, if she just removes the costume. (She just refused to accept the fact, that the Disney theme parks has a strict rule about adults wearing a costume at the theme park.)

As a special consolation to her, Disney gave her a free t-shirt to wear instead of her costume, and they also provided her family with FastPass tickets. (But she still whined & complained big time how badly Disney mistreated her on the news. She seemed to really think that, the Disney rules about adult costumes should not apply to her.)

"My make-up took 2 hours, my hair took another hour, and then I had to spray my body in glitter and paint my nails."

"They said I looked too good,"

"It just broke my heart. I didn't want to take off the costume."

-Quotes from April Spielman

Here's the news article about it.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...03/07/1974960/
There's a term for this..
It's called "spoiled little brat".
You know the type..
Cry, bitch and moan becasue god forbid they have to listen to a rule and not get everything they want? yea..That..
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Unless it is something SUPER casual that is pretty much normal clothes(Shirou and Rin from F/SN come to mind) then no. You can wear odd colored wigs into the park though. I've done it and I've never had a problem.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote