Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

How do people see crossplay where you live?

Crossplay is a taboo, though female-male is not as taboo as male-female, so how do people see it in our homeland?

Here female-male crossplay is very common, but not as common as male-female, in fact I've only seen two male-female crossplayers here and people saw it as nasty, one of them revealed it at the event and everyone reacted when he said his name, while the other was one that my friend didn't realize and when he saw the photo he realized and he said that was nasty.

Of course, it's not an easy panorama for someone like me who is working on some crossplays

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Kotarou
Nico Nico nii~

I'm a m2f crossplayer and I've noticed that it's pretty accepted. Sure there might be one or two people that might not like it, but the majority of people are more interested than disgusted. I've gone in public transportation and walked around NYC in crossplay plenty of times and I haven't had any bad experiences.

Current Cosplays
Current Crossplays
Future Cosplays
Future Crossplays

Next Cons:
Castle Point Anime Convention
AnimeNEXT
Anime Expo
Otakon
Kotarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Zacora

In my area people would probably pass out in shock and then run to Scripture Study class for a week, sadly. The one curse of living in Utah, besides the weather.

Personally I think it fantastic (Whether male to female or female to male) I'd love to give it a try someday.
Zacora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
BoydRA
Witch of the Mildsauce

I'm here in Detroit, and to be honest this community is overwhelmingly accepting of male-female cosplay (as well as LGBT). I remember at Youmacon last year, there were many male-female cosplayers and it wasn't treated as taboo.

Considering:
Fire Emblem characters
Dynasty Warriors- Yu Meiren

Going to:
Youmacon!
BoydRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I live in a large city with a large LGBT population (Toronto). So, no, nobody bats an eyelid at actual cosplay events. And I have seen drag queens/crossdressers/not sure if they're trans or what but they don't appear to be any particular gender/crossplayers en route to cons people out on the street plenty of times, and nobody bugging them about it.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
DiscoGlacier

Here in Southern California, crossplay is generally tolerated: the cosplay community is completely welcoming of crossplayers, and non-cosplayers respond to them as they would any other cosplayer. While crossplay is a given at cosplay events, it (and crossdressing in general) is virtually non-existent in everyday life; I am curious to try the latter, though.
DiscoGlacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Khorrupt

I live in the Bible Belt, but ironically, the approach here seems to be mainly along the lines of "Um...that's weird, but I guess you can do whatever you want." There was a big group calling crossplayers (especially MtF ones) "sinners" and saying they were going to hell at a convention I was at, but after about 15 minutes, they got booted. Everyone here in the cosplay scene is chill about crossplay -- it's non-cosplayers that you have to watch out for.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

I live in a conservative town made up of mostly military personnel in the South. I am almost certain if somebody tried crossplaying here, especially a dude crossplaying as a woman, they would be beaten pretty badly, and the cops (and entire community) would look the other way. At the very least, there would be a ton of harassment.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
AgentTexas
MY WIGS

Generally I've noticed nobody seems to bat an eye at either gender cross dressing here in Ohio. As a girl who dresses up male for cosplay,the only thing I've had was my mom. She apparently thought that me cosplaying male characters meant I was lesbian. To which I am not. xD

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
builder396
Crossplayer

Over here in germany it seems to be generally well accepted. I wore my Natsuru costume twice, once on gamescom and once outside just in public visiting my mother. Thanks to my figure I apparently am seen very often as a genuine girl, as long as my beard is freshly shaved. But even after finding out my true identity (I have a very deep voice) most people reacted polite to it or didnt even bother at all.
However... how should I call that general scene where girls have a ton of makeup, and no brain, and the guys are the same with swag and brain, without being too impolite?... anyway, I wouldnt recommend coming across those. On the way back from my 2nd day Gamescom one of those girls kept giving me some very disturbed looks. Also, on the way home from the 3rd day, a guy I made friends with that day, used my shoulder as a pillow, and a group of Turks (People from Turkey) kept talking about whether we were gay and whether or not we had already done it (I had talked a word or two so they probably recognized my voice).
But either way such people can dislike anything in that direction, but usually theyre the minority.
Overall my experiences were rather fun and I had a few moments where I thought life just WANTED to make fun of me crossplaying (by actual coincidence, not anyone in specific) like when this guy was giving out tshirts to girls (I stayed back in the audience since he and I knew i was not a girl) and he throws it backwards and against all odds (and my generous distance to the group of girls right in front of him) I was the one catching it.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
MissBeckyRae
Welcome to My World...

I live outside of Denver, and here crossplay isn't really all that uncommon. Most people have a pretty laid-back attitude about it. My boyfriend crossplays, and I don't mind a bit (although his parents have certainly asked a few questions).

Planned Cosplays:
NDK NYE: Bridal!Belarus
Denver Comic Con 2015: Marie Kanker (Ed, Edd, N Eddy)
NDK 2015: Fem!France (Hetalia)
Stocking Anarchy (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
Renge (Ouran High School Host Club)

Dream Cosplays:
Fem!Russia (Hetalia)
Mai Valentine (Yu-Gi-Oh)
Nico Robin (One Piece)
Meroko (Full Moon Wo Sagashite)
Chi (Chobits)
Cheerleader Konata (Lucky Star)
MissBeckyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
She apparently thought that me cosplaying male characters meant I was lesbian. To which I am not. xD
It shouldn't be relevant whether you are or not a lesbian in matters of crossplay. Clothes are clothes. Pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman, whatever. Some parents are just so terrified of their children being gay, and this kind of attitude really annoys me.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
Unread 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
It shouldn't be relevant whether you are or not a lesbian in matters of crossplay. Clothes are clothes. Pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman, whatever. Some parents are just so terrified of their children being gay, and this kind of attitude really annoys me.
Uhm...I think you see that from the viewpoint of someone who knows what cosplay and especially crossplay is and maybe you even know more about sexual orientations than the average parent. Now imagine you where a totally clueless person when it comes to crossplay. You barely got what cosplay is and the only other things that comes to your mind when you think about people who dress like the other gender are either dragqueens, transgendered people or lesbians who go for an extremly masculine apperance.

If your brain doesn't has the category "crossplay" it picks the next best.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
belligerent
Viking Metal

My point is that it shouldn't matter whether she's a lesbian or not, and furthermore she shouldn't have to clarify to US that she is not a lesbian because that literally does not matter in the context of what we're discussing.

It's like saying "i'm not gay or anything but that dress looks great on you." I think there's a subtle reinforcement of the idea that you automatically have to deny being gay, which is unfortunate because whether somebody is gay or not really should not matter. If she wants to say that to her mom because she has to deal with her mom on that level, that's different than her having to say that to us. There doesn't need to be a clarification, IMO. Ideally, there won't need to be one to people like her mom eventually, but I balance my idealism with the probability that it will still take a while for that to happen. However, it can't happen unless people who ARE ok with the idea of "gay" don't perpetuate this kind of thing.

I don't think think AgentTexas was doing this on purpose, since it's so ingrained and internalized for American straight people to do this, but I'm just bringing it to attention in the hopes that we can all do our part to bring about more acceptance of everybody.

Last edited by belligerent : 08-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
builder396
Crossplayer

Reminds me, once was in an online community, doesnt matter in this context about what, I only was there for a few months, but during that time I took a lot of care not to disclose my gender, as a bit of an experiment. Noone openly ever asked me about it, even though they were aware that I never said anything about my gender. Biggest issue was everyone not knowing whether or not to call me he or she. In the end when I was being kicked out I asked a few people in retrospect about that. I managed to prove a point: Gender does not matter. Same way being homo- bi- or heterosexual doesnt. Unless youre having sex that is, then it matters.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote