Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Exclamation Cosplay risks

Which do you think are the worst risks that you can run when doing cosplay? Not only physichal but also social.

The one I've experimented is that when you post your cosplays on Facebook, Twitter and DeviantArt, if you give a very controversial opinion about any topic (no matter if it's political, social, religious or even about entertainment) people who don't agree with you will take your cosplays from your gallery and use them as a weapon to bully you.

Once I opened a thread in DA forums about how 2016 sucked and people started to share my Zoe cosplay pics and started saying: "Look! This opinion is given by a degenerate!" and lots of destroying comments about me , they unvalidated my opinions because of my cosplays about a toipic that had nothing to do with cosplay, I basically had no voice and vote because of my cosplays, after that I decided that I won't upload my cosplays to DeviantArt anymore!

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I think depending on your career, your job could be at risk. If your boss finds a picture of you in a risque cosplay, or any cosplay for that matter, they may react badly. When I started teaching I completely separated my cosplay life from my daily life for that reason.

Physical risks include anything from burns, inhaling toxic fumes, to accidentally permanently disfiguring yourself (PLEASE USE A BINDER KIDS).
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Wow, that's really stupid of them to do that to you. They're the ones being really immature and clearly can't handle things well.
I think you should keep posting your cosplays. Don't let them stop you, because what they're doing is on them not you. I know what they're doing is casting you in a bad light, but you need to able to hold your own and not let them get away. With that said however you might not be able to do much except block or report them (not that it's ok, it is the internet.)
As you said, no matter what you post (you in general) people will not always agree (and agree to disagree is obviously different then what people are doing here).
I don't think you were the one at fault; it's those kinds of people who take things too far and act stupid (to say the least).
I have a friend who is in the same spot sort of, who is also a cosplayer but it has to do with his art not cosplays pics and for the same reason you feel, he doesn't want to post his art on certain sites (dA included).
But as for your question, there are certain risks that come to mind such as hurting yourself for a costume (physically, mentally etc.).
Or knowing full well that the general public will do double takes (I've only had a positive reception to wearing cosplay in public but that's just me).

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

I don't think what happened to you on the DA forums has anything to do with cosplay in specific, but with more with public forums. You just got trolled. They could also easily picked any other type of art, that you have on your account and comment on that to derail your thread. Don't let that stop you from uploading whatever you want (DA is full of really really bad "artwork", therefore nobody should feel like they have to hold themselves back from adding their own stuff, no matter what objective or subjective quality there is to it).

The only thing I would reconsider is, if you want to engage in that forum activily or not.
Unread 09-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I don't think what happened to you on the DA forums has anything to do with cosplay in specific, but with more with public forums. You just got trolled. They could also easily picked any other type of art, that you have on your account and comment on that to derail your thread. Don't let that stop you from uploading whatever you want (DA is full of really really bad "artwork", therefore nobody should feel like they have to hold themselves back from adding their own stuff, no matter what objective or subjective quality there is to it).

The only thing I would reconsider is, if you want to engage in that forum activily or not.
This.

For me, it isn't a problem of my boss finding out(heck, I told him upfront I cosplay) it's my clients finding out. That's why my internet name and everything is far apart from my real name. Unless my client is a cosplayer/knows the local community well enough, the chance of them finding me is slim.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
ZanyGeek

For me, I think the biggest risk is tripping and falling down the stairs because of reduced visibility.

I'm not on DA, but I PREFER not to comment on controversial topics or get into heated debates using my cosplay profiles. It's not their purpose. Occassionally, it can't be helped, because there are people on the internet who just want to be viscious and throw down and you sometimes need to release your kraken on them. But, for the most part, I'm not going to get into a debate about religion or international policy with my cosplay profile.

Any online debate you get into opens you up for an "ad hominem attack" with some types of people, where they stop attacking your points and start attacking you as a person instead. Usually, people losing the debate will do that, by making the argument about your looks, hobbies, the kind of vehicle you drive, or just about anything else they can find linked to your profile that they think they can use to undermine your position. If it's cosplay, then that's what they'll use.

You just have to decide if the debate is worth having and if the audience is one that is immature enough to turn on you in that fashion. If that's the case, it may not be a debate worth having with those particular people.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #7
Amanita

^So much that. I've often said that when somebody starts throwing personal insults around, it's usually a sign that they have nothing of substance to offer, so they're flinging mud to try and cover for it.
Unread 11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^So much that. I've often said that when somebody starts throwing personal insults around, it's usually a sign that they have nothing of substance to offer, so they're flinging mud to try and cover for it.
Or they just aim to provoke/troll you, because they want to you to be angry and watch your emotional reaction. They want to heat things up, so to say.

Which one is true depends on the platform on which a discussion is happening and the users, that are engaged into it.
Unread Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #9
DanArt

Trust me on this. The internet does not matter. People need to grow up and enjoy peace. It is all an illusion. Think of the girl who shot herself on daddys yacht because some random person found out about her being inside of an x-rated film. She took it too seriously because of some random person. Is that the end of the world? No,

Last edited by DanArt : Yesterday at 05:28 PM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #10
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Take a nap, Dan.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote