Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #1
Jacecam32

Un-Mainstream Cosplay

So I was recently told that my costume wouldn't be recognized and that going out to a charity event would be a waste of my time since the kids (to a childrens hospital) wouldn't recognize me and I'd have to explain who i was repeatedly.

Personally I find that no different then normal. Most people think I am Gannon from Zelda though imo other then my hair and beard being read I look nothing like Gannon (I'm Cosplaying Rider from Fate/Zero) I guess im just bad at making my own cosplays.

Have you ever been excluded because your costume wasn't Main Stream? Or wouldn't fit in with some people? Did you go anyway?
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #2
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

I think the only time I experienced this was with my Jack Walker cosplay. It's funny because he's from Pokemon, which is almost the definition of mainstream XD.

But I knew he probably wouldn't be recognized because he's from the 9th movie...I just really loved his character....

But yeah, I'm rather bummed I haven't worn that costume as much as I would like, simply because I know I'm going to have to explain who he is....I've taken to carrying around my copy of the manga so I can just point him out X'D.

Robin (male) - [Fire Emblem Awakening] - 35%
Aladdin - [Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic] - 95%

Planned 2015 Cosplay:
Jiggy Pepper - [ Tegami Bachi / Letter Bee]
Henry - [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Thief King Bakura - [Yugioh!]

Dream 2015 Cons: Sakuracon - Fanime - Anime Expo - Kumoricon - Yaoicon

WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #3
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

I've started doing charity events, and always without question, they're asking for Rocket. I have one on Saturday and two more lined up. I actually have better costumes technically like Gamora, but the costume is a lesser known comic variant.

Theevent is ultimately for the kids. Not to show off a costume. I'm just glad they get to enjoy saying hi to Rocket!
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #4
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I can see why they wouldn't have taken your cosplay for the children's hospital. At a nerd event like conventions, people there are already in that niche and are more likely to recognize you. Even if they don't, they'll probably understand after a quick explanation.
While there are nerdy kids out there, there are plenty who are not. If they don't recognize you and you have to go into an explanation, they might get bored and not really care. (Of course, the opposite could happen and you could get kids who want to know all about your character.)

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Mercenary!Brittnay: MPGiS
Saison Marguerite: MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #5
Scunosi

While I think it's a little much to say it'd be a total waste, you probably wouldn't get the same reaction as if you showed up dressed as a mascot like a TMNT or Mickey Mouse. It would still be for the people there though, and as long as it's not a plainsclothes character they'd probably at least appreciate seeing something out of the norm. They may not think "Rider" when they see you, but they'll probably think "cool medieval knight/king" and that would be enough. I would hope it's not the people running the event that are willingly turning away volunteers as that's really poor management on their end.

And honestly I almost get more of an Ashnard from Fire Emblem vibe from him, though that's probably just the cape. He does admittedly look like Ganon very superficially. I wouldn't be surprised if you got people thinking you're some AU Lysandre from Pokémon XY Though! :P
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #6
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I don't have any costumes that kids would recognize (except Elsa but it doesn't fit me right now) so if someone said that to me they'd be saying I was a total waste in general.

I don't think being recognized matters at a kids event, because you could wear a Skyrim cosplay, for example, and just say you're a warrior without explaining the character.
Unread Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #7
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

For things like this, the even organizers usually prefer recognizable characters. However, kids are easy to please, and I think they would think you look cool regardless of which cosplay you use xD

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #8
Jacecam32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyhrah View Post
For things like this, the even organizers usually prefer recognizable characters. However, kids are easy to please, and I think they would think you look cool regardless of which cosplay you use xD
Yeah I've had kids at local cons's asking for pictures with me. (like 5-6 who I garuntee don't know who I am.) they just think it looks cool. a Giant armored Red guy. lol maybe I'm like a young armored santa to them ROFL
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote