Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
phantom000

Field testing a costume

I am almost finished with my first cosplay. Now the last thing any cosplayer wants is to spend all that time and money on a costume only to see it fall apart when they get to the convention, or that it is so uncomfortable that you can't stand to wear it.

So what's a good way to give a costume a thorough field test so that you know it will actually work?
phantom000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Syon

Dress up like you would before a convention. Do all the make up, put on the wig and the clothes and don't forget to register how long it takes you. Make also a list of everything that belongs to your costume, especially if you have smaller, detachable parts.
If you are finished test how well you can move, if you can sit down and walk a bit around. You can't simulate a whole convention day, but a bit of walking around your house may show if your cosplay as an obvious weakness that you may either be able to fix or that will need your special attention during the con.

Thats my way for how I will do testing next month with my first cosplay.

Next cosplay: Whitemane

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I second Syon. As well, do a few "active" moves you would probably do at a con too- jump up and down a few times, spin around, run down your hallway, dance a bit (just something that involves some quick movement with your limbs and torso, you can be the worst dancer in the world and it'll still work). And DEFINITELY climb some stairs. I've never been to a con where I didnt have to, and your costume breaking while mid-climb or tripping is BEYOND embarrassing. And it goes without saying, BREAK IN YOUR SHOES.
I also try to sit/stand out in the backyard for a few minutes in sunny weather to see how warm or cool my costume will be when I wear it (sunny in winter means it's real cold out, and obviously hot out in summer, so that puts it through the coldest/hottest it would have to likely withstand).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 07-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I also try to sit/stand out in the backyard for a few minutes in sunny weather to see how warm or cool my costume will be when I wear it (sunny in winter means it's real cold out, and obviously hot out in summer, so that puts it through the coldest/hottest it would have to likely withstand).
THIS.
Nearly all cons in my area are during the spring/summer, so anything long, dark, or thick is just awful to wear outside. I almost passed out once in my Jade Harley cosplay.
You should wear it a bit to see if it's comfortable and fits well. One area might start itching after a while, or something may ride up, be too loose, etc. Better to know now than at the con.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #5
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

If it's a costume that isn't too over-the-top you could just walk around in it as you do your errands. Of course where you are located and the type of town you live in will affect what you can get away with. But I've taken plenty of grocery store trips as Jack Sparrow before and haven't had any problems with it lol
Unread Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #6
lunarlet

I usually attend a really small con to test out the cosplay and see if everything holds well and to make sure i remembered everything.
Later at larger cons is where I actually wear the complete (and usually improved) cosplay
lunarlet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #7
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlet View Post
I usually attend a really small con to test out the cosplay and see if everything holds well and to make sure i remembered everything.
Later at larger cons is where I actually wear the complete (and usually improved) cosplay
I like to do this, too! Or even if you're attending a con where you're staying in a hotel, bring the costume (even if it's not all the way done) and wear it for Sunday, or just a few hours during any of the other days.

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've heard that for shoes specifically, vacuuming the house is a good way to make sure you can actually wear them.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote