Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
shotzgoboom
Sasha

Crazy Azula critique

Hey guys! I just debuted my Princess Azula costume at Comic-con last weekend, but I'm not really satisfied with it yet, I don't think. I kind of want your opinion on the costume, if you don't mind. I don't have many shots of the costume, and only one or two are actually clear....and none show all the detail work I put into this thing. But any tips would be lovely!

Also, before anyone mentions the hair--my intent was to do Azula from the finale, at the VERY end, when her bangs are all chopped up, and her hair is down. Like during her battle with Katara. If there's any way I can make that come across better, I'd love to hear it, though!

I think the fabric I chose was wrong, for sure. I'm planning on getting some dark red, non-patterned fabric for future cons. My question to you is should I use like a satin fabric, or a matte? I feel like Satin is appropriate being that it's asian inspired, and she is a princess, but I also feel like matte may photograph better, and just be the better option altogether. And if I were to get a matte fabric, what kind would look more authentically old?

reference (I'm having the hardest time finding any all of the sudden!):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...atty/azula.jpg
(hair)http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...mmon/blank.gif (best I could find )

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Last edited by shotzgoboom : 07-31-2010 at 07:45 PM.
shotzgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Mnemeth17

First off, I love all your Avatar costumes because you really have an eye for where to add tasteful (and amazing) personal interpretations of the costume. In this one, I really love your use of trim on the thigh panels- very pretty.

Now for critique: I think the bangs need to look more ragged- maybe take individual pieces and curling them a bit to make them more "individual" and frizzy looking pieces. Right now since they're so straight they look too neat next to the rest of crazy Azula's hair.

For the fabric choice, I think the fabric is simply too busy for this costume. Maybe a more toned down brocade with smaller pattern might give a better effect. For solid colored fabrics I suggest a matte satin- they are sturdy and have a nice subtle shine and photograph much nicer than shiny satins. I bought some suede satin and its a gorgeous fabric and nice to work with.
Mnemeth17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
luthitron

Well, your hair image isn't working, but from what I remember, the fringe was perhaps even more angled than you have it now.

As for the fabric, I actually tend to go with matte, because it not only photographs better, but it is also easier to work with.
luthitron is offline   Reply With Quote