Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Zouziias
Cosplay Novice

Ocarina of Time Poe Lantern

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/File:Poe...of_Time%29.png

See that awesome guy (If you don't please tell me, I'll get another link), I'm cosplaying that.
At NYAF.

I know how I'm getting everything else done, except that lantern. I want to make one that not only looks right, but lights up. But first, I'm gonna worry about getting the lantern made.

I have NO experience making...this... so any help will be appreciated. If there is already a thread for this, I apologize.

And if you're cosplaying Zelda at NYAF on Zelda, I'll see you there! Hopefully!
Zouziias is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
~Haku~
Humanoid

I'm a fan of polymer clay, so I'd likely use that to construct the black portions of your lamp. The most popular brands that I can think of are Sculpey and Fimo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_clay

For the yellow-orange glass, you could watercolor some paper to match that of the lamp, and glue that on the inside.

To make it light up, you could use one of those little battery-operated tea-light candles.

Planned cosplays:
Tengu (Japanese Mythology)
Dark Link (Zelda)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Lenore & Mr. Gosh (Lenore: The Cute Little Dead Girl)
Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur II)
Issun (Okami)
Wonder Chef (Tales of Sumphonia)
Tezzeret the Seeker (Magic: The Gathering)
Kaito (Vocaloid)

Last edited by ~Haku~ : 08-01-2010 at 06:11 PM.
~Haku~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Cotton Spores
Lv. 16

For the orange glass, you could use actual glass covered with a sheet of orange celophane.
Also, mind if I "borrow" your idea and cosplay a Poe from Twilight Princess?
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Zouziias
Cosplay Novice

~Haku~ I'll consider using Sculpey, but the last time I used it to make something larger than an earring...things fell through... Dx

But the watercolour idea? Love it.

Cotton Spores Oh lord, I do NOT want to be carrying glass to a convention. And that's probably not allowed. If I could find those orange celophane things you're talking about, that's a different story.

And only if you'll be a Twilight Princess Poe at NYAF. If you're not going then you can't. D:< (lie).
Zouziias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
~Haku~
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouziias View Post
~Haku~ I'll consider using Sculpey, but the last time I used it to make something larger than an earring...things fell through... Dx

But the watercolour idea? Love it.

Cotton Spores Oh lord, I do NOT want to be carrying glass to a convention. And that's probably not allowed. If I could find those orange celophane things you're talking about, that's a different story.

And only if you'll be a Twilight Princess Poe at NYAF. If you're not going then you can't. D:< (lie).
Perhaps you may consider carving some styrofoam into the shape you want, and glue some plastic (like that of a soda bottle) onto the back to give it a greater structural integrety. You could then paint the styrofoam with acrylics for your color. (You could even back your paper 'glass' with the same plastic so that it doesn't tear.)

Planned cosplays:
Tengu (Japanese Mythology)
Dark Link (Zelda)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Lenore & Mr. Gosh (Lenore: The Cute Little Dead Girl)
Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur II)
Issun (Okami)
Wonder Chef (Tales of Sumphonia)
Tezzeret the Seeker (Magic: The Gathering)
Kaito (Vocaloid)
~Haku~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

i think the orange cellophane sounds like the best idea so far, but you would still need something behind it to give it strength. The cellophane could get bumped or ripped so easily at a convention. Maybe instead of glass, you could use a thin plexiglass?

I'd say model magic for the frame, but that might not be a good idea with glass or plexiglass. I can't imagine that it would hold the weight.

On the plus side, making it light up shouldn't be too hard. Make the lantern deep enough to hide a small battery and a couple of LED's. Or, Even easier would be to buy some of those imitation candle flames that take tiny batteries, and just toss one inside.

Like these: http://www.batteryoperatedcandles.ne...ea-lights.html
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
FullMetalSam
Beyond Dream Cosplay

My suggestion is that you should do the lantern glass sides in some kind of frosted plastics. You can probably pick up something like a trashcan or a food container that would be made of transparent frosted plastic. By "frosted", I mean something like this: example. You can see through it, but barely, and it's going to more white than actually transparent.

Then you cut out the shape you want - you glue it together with Hot glue... then build the frame with something like craft foam.

Next thing would be the light. I'd pick up a 10 LED string powered by 2 AA battery... these LED strings are very bright and the fact that your lantern will be built in frosted plastic will help difuse that light. So even if the LED are sitting at the bottom of your lantern, you should still be able to get an "even" glow all the way up to the top.

The LED string are something like this, but in Amber: LED String on eBay
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Cotton Spores
Lv. 16

Please, just promise me that, if you use batteries, you'll use rechargeable ones. (ecology FTW!)
I think that lantern shall be an awesome prop. It will be awesome during cosplay, camping, halloween and even blackouts.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

For the cellophane that everyone's talking about, why not go with clear binder dividers? They're not exactly flimsy and you can still see through them. There's also glass spray paint that you can color them with that dries transparent (haven't tried them though).

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Peach93cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haku~ View Post
I'm a fan of polymer clay, so I'd likely use that to construct the black portions of your lamp. The most popular brands that I can think of are Sculpey and Fimo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_clay

For the yellow-orange glass, you could watercolor some paper to match that of the lamp, and glue that on the inside.

To make it light up, you could use one of those little battery-operated tea-light candles.
or yellow glass paint
Peach93cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Peach93cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Spores View Post
Please, just promise me that, if you use batteries, you'll use rechargeable ones. (ecology FTW!)
I think that lantern shall be an awesome prop. It will be awesome during cosplay, camping, halloween and even blackouts.
YAYYYYYYYYYY blackouts!
Peach93cc is offline   Reply With Quote