Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Closed Thread
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Vamp_Rouge

Question How to make a regular dress backless & strapless (Jessica Rabbit) help?

Hi lovely people,

So, I've loved Jessica Rabbit since I was a kid (mainly because I have red hair and the same face shape and lips-yes, I know she's a cartoon, still) and have always wanted to cosplay her. I see lots of people do it and think 'hell, I can do that without a wig, it shouldn't be too hard'.

And it isn't. Except for the fact that I want to make it as acurate as possible, which means modifying a dress I have to make it backless and strapless AND stay up (I don't have Jessica Rabbit's breasts! Though I may sew padding in or something to make it acurate that way).

I bought a dress from a fancy dress company because I'm not good enough to make it from scratch, and it's perfect except for the fact that it's got straps and isn't backless. Lots of cosplayers I've seen have just settled for a dress with straps or replaced them with clear ones but not gone for the backless thing. I want to try... I just have no idea if it's possible without ruining the line of the dress.

The fabric of the dress is kind of odd, it's slightly shiney and stretchy but not like lycra so it SHOULD hold when cutting it and re-hemming it, I'm just not sure about how to do it without ruining the dress. I mean, should I just go for it and mark the line of how much I want to cut out when it's on me then cut that panel out or is there a more careful way of doing that? I don't want it to bellow after I've cut it, so maybe I need to use body/tit-tape to hold the edges of the cut-out bit to my back/sides and keep that skin-tight look?

Also, if I cut the straps off there is literally no way for it to stay up, so it's either replace them with clear straps, which I'd prefer not to do, though I could then criss-cross them over my back and keep the backless part supported. OR I could find some kind of skin-coloured sheer fabric (I'm very pale though, being a rehead, it's hard to find things in my skin-tone) and replace the entrie back panel that I cut out with that. So it has that fake-backless look and is still skin-tight.

I'm stuck on what I should do, sorry for my rambling, but any help and ideas would be appriciated.

~Vamp

Last edited by Vamp_Rouge : 08-02-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Edited for typos.

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

The easiest would be to have clear straps or a flesh-tone panel. Body tape can work to keep the low back close to your body but you can't count on it holding the actual dress up.

Strapless gowns require hidden structure to stay up - strapless evening gowns and wedding dresses can have as much as an actual corset inside to provide support and hold up the dress.

Backless creates even more of a problem - you'd need to get one of those low-back longline bras designed for bridal and build the dress on top of that.

Either way don't cut anything until you've figured out your method; if you attach it to a longline bra or corset you'll want to pin the dress to it to see where your edges have to be. It may be impossible to get it quite as low-backed as you want if you need a fair amount of bust support.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Vamp_Rouge

Thanks hon,

Yeah, I don't want to start cutting anything until I'm sure what I'm doing so I thought I'd ask others advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
The easiest would be to have clear straps or a flesh-tone panel. Body tape can work to keep the low back close to your body but you can't count on it holding the actual dress up.
Yeah, exactly.

I know most gowns have built in structure for this but this is just a cheap fancy dress thing so it doesn't. The material's pretty light though so it's not holding much up, plus I'm not big-busted at all so don't need much support. Course for Jessica Rabbit I may need to pad.

I was thinking that a clear panel may be the best bet but I've just realised that because the highest part of the front of the dress will be bust-height then the panel won't be able to go all the way up my back so won't look very clean. Clear straps and taping bits to my body might be the best way to go. Even if it's just one clear strap across my back where a bra would be, or shoulder straps plus that.

Hmm.. Gonna think on it more.
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Vamp_Rouge

Also, I just realised I remember seeing you at DragonCon last year! :-)

I just looked at your profile and saw your Shikari costume (I had to copy/paste the name cuz i don't know the character) and remembered you.

I wish I could go again but I went with my ex, who I know is going again this year, and it's all a bit emo and sad for me to even consider right now.

Still, it's cool that I remember you. :-)
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Yeah I can't make it this year either.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Closed Thread