Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
kraek

thread deleted

thread deleted

Last edited by kraek : 10-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Unread 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Not bad for self-timer shots! I especially like the framing in the top one. You picked a nice setting for Astrid.

My major critique is that the shots are overexposed. To much light is hitting your camera sensor, which washes out the colors and completely blows out your lighter areas. You may be able to adjust that, depending on the camera. Does your camera have an "outdoors" or "sunshine" mode? Are you able to change your exposure time, ISO, or your aperture?
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
ShadowTwinz

I think you did very well for just a self timer and a tripod! And the setting you chose is really nice =3

If I had to say one thing I agree with the person above me; it just looks to bright in the photos.
ShadowTwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
kraek

Thank you both for your critiques--I'll have to experiment with my camera to see if it has any settings.
Do you mean the background is relatively bright or the costume?
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
ShadowTwinz

Your welcome ^^ I was referring to the background; I think they were too, but I'm not sure
ShadowTwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

The whole shot is too bright. If you can decrease the amount of time the shutter is open, you'll have more contrast with richer colors and sharper shadows.

Good luck!
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
roflwaffles
The Waffles are ROFLing!

I think they are all pretty good for self timed shots. The over exposed look can possibly correct to a certain degree with some photoshop magic. I like the composition of the second and fourth photos. The only think I could say really spoils it is the last shot, with the fence in the background. The first 5 seemed to really set a mood of the forrest, but the last one jolts you out of that.
roflwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
kraek

Hmm...I didn't notice that--I just used my favorite shots from the shoot. A few of them are taken by the fence, and a few of them are taken in the forest. Personally, I thought they both looked relatively viking-y.
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

The first shot is fine. Photoshop could make it even better to bring in more black level and bring more detail and color to the highlights. The pose is quite nice. I like that you are looking off camera.

The second image is nice how you have more room in front of the direction you are facing, but I think cropping some of the left frame would balance it better. It is a nice action pose to showcase the back of your costume.

The third image is a good warrior pose with the wide leg stance. There is too much room behind you though. Cropping will help.

The forth image suffer from losing the top of your head amd your fingers outside the frame-line.

Picture number five is a good crouched defense pose. It may be improved by cropping some of the headroom out, making it a wide-screen composition.

On the sixth picture, I agree that the fence does seem too modern. Good attitude and macho pose though.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
kraek

I appreciate those critiques--they've all helped a lot.
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
WiseGirl601

This is awesome! You did a great job!
WiseGirl601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
JessJupiter
Part-time Superhero.

You did a great job for a self timer and tripod set up! Your framing on all of these is actually really great!

But again, I'd point out that they're a little too bright and it washes out all the great colors that you have going. If your camera doesn't have any settings you can play with you can always mess around with the image in a generic image editor (Microsoft usually includes one with their image viewers if you don't have anything fancy like Photoshop.) ^-^

Good luck and keep it up!
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
levelsixtyseven

The first one is probably me favorite. I love the framing and I love how you decided to show your character's back. Even without seeing her face I can immediately think of Astrid. Your #1, #2, #4 are I think very strong. The expression and artistic movement in the shot is really shown.

For #3 I feel that it's oddly cropped. Be sure to be aware of cut off heads because it doesn't look deliberate. If you're going for that cut off look make it look very deliberate. The last one has a cute pose! Although the background she seems very out of place- the white picket fence I mean. For overall photos the saturation and blacks of the color could be bumped up. And exposure seems to be a bit too high in a few of your shots. They seem a little flat right now. I'd really love to see those earthy tones really pop out.
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
aMURica
Doesn't Give Bad news

Awesome cosplay, and I love the composition/posing of these shots! I think self-timer is really hard to do right, so I congratulate you on that! IMO the first and second shots are the strongest, they have the nicest poses that best show off your costume of the set.
The final shot in the set can probably be remedied with some cropping to give a better composition, it's just a bit too centered for me to like it.

I think the washed-out look of these photos can be fixed with some photoshop, as was said earlier, once you've got better contrast, they'll probably all look a lot stronger.

Next Cons:Otakon 2012 / AFO 13 - Now with portal Panels! / Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012

Next Cosplays: Fancy Dreamer Sollux -90% / Magicastuck John Egbert - 15% /Human Wheatley - 80%

Selling stuff: Here.
aMURica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
The second image is nice how you have more room in front of the direction you are facing, but I think cropping some of the left frame would balance it better. It is a nice action pose to showcase the back of your costume.
I agree with the cropping of the left, but since your leg that is higher up is to the right, I feel like if the amount of space to the left was on the right, it would look better. Also if you took up more of the frame. If that makes sense. It might be good to try more up close shots or action shots to get the full effect of the costume so that there is less focus on the background. Overall good job though
Falclon is offline   Reply With Quote