Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Shadizilla

MSPaint Adventures

Recently going to Otakon and finding that there were sure a lot of Homestuck cosplayers, it makes me wonder how many people are really planning on doing this.

Comic - http://www.mspaintadventures.com
Current Adventure - Homestuck

Personally, I know that next year me and my friend are going to try and pull off Snowman and Spades Slick. I know several people who want to do trolls, kids, and guardians alike. Hopefully there will be more Carapace cosplay, too.

Is anyone planning any MSPA themed cosplay any time soon?
Shadizilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Zombii

Yeah, I've got some Homestuck cosplay planned(I've also done Homestuck cosplay in the past, too). I'm gonna be Jackspers Noirlecrow and Nepeta Leijon, both for seperate cons(Also Nepeta's gonna be alongside the rest of the trolls my real life + Fora friends are gonna do).

Nepeta's about... 40-45% done I guess? I want to make her tablet(Gonna make it using a dry-board so I can write stuff on it) and her clawkind. I also gotta decide on a final makeup solution for her skin. I've seen people use cream-based makeup, but because I have bad experience with cream makeup(actually, for a Peregrine Mendicant cosplay. Seriously, the makeup was a mess and got everywhere), I don't think I'll be using it. I heard Kryolan is really good. I'm mostly looking for something that won't smudge. Thoughts?

Also, personal opinions time! I'm also thinking of using orange contacts for Nepeta! However, I heard the actual fittings for the contacts can be pricy, but I want accuracy! Should or shouldn't I? I'm so conflicted...
Sunday: Madotsuki(Yume Nikki) - 40%
ConnectiCon '11
Friday: Nepeta Leijon/arsenicCatnip(Homestuck) - 40%
Saturday: Fem!Red Sniper(Team Fortress 2) - 0%
Sunday: Madotsuki(Yume Nikki) - 0%
Zombii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Geek Fairy

Funny, I just stumbled upon this thread while painting a shirt for my Terezi Pyrope cosplay! It's about halfway done, I suppose~ Currently working on the whole body paint situation. Acrylic seems to be working well for me, besides the "tightness" thing. I'll post pictures when I can!
Geek Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Shadizilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombii View Post
Also, personal opinions time! I'm also thinking of using orange contacts for Nepeta! However, I heard the actual fittings for the contacts can be pricy, but I want accuracy! Should or shouldn't I? I'm so conflicted...
I haven't seen any of the trolls actually do the contacts. They can get pricey. Like up in the 200$ range sometimes.
I think if you don't do the full-eye contacts, that you could probably get away with some normal ones, but just orange. It would at least be a little effort toward giving the right effect, but a lot less pricey.

I've been starting to plan out things better for Slick.
The hardest part I've come across so far is the head. I want to be able to do his mouth/teeth, so I'm not going with the full-face hood. It's going to be hard to get the makeup to not rub off around the hood though, I fear. I'm hoping some spirit gum and sealer will help prevent too much rubbing.

I'm also worried it's going to be REALLY HOT.

Also licorice Scottie dogs why must you come in such large quantities?? I only need like..four.
Shadizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

I'm actually currently,meaning right now,like the costume is pinned together right behind me-working on Wayward Vagabond.I don't know why,I just love WV and decided to make it right after I got past the whole Mayor of Cantown bit.
In any case,when worn I'll have a TRUSTY KNIFE + HANDY RULER and possibly some TAB.And of course the Mayor sash.

As for make-up for you guys,Kryolan,Mehron,and Ben Nye are all good.Nye and Kryo being my personal favorites.The sealants made by the companies are fabulous for stopping smudging,and usually come in decently sized bottles that you could carry around if you feel the need to touch it up.
I saw a tutorial on the MSPA forum that used Grey and White make-ups mixed in a 2 white to one grey ratio and used steel grey for highlights for the troll skin.The result looked really good.Another route,go to a place that sells Nye or the others and try their greys on your skin to see which seems best to you.

And for contacts,give Walmart a try.Most do eye exams and contact fittings-it's where I went for my reguler lenses and they were pretty well priced.They also deal Wild Eyes contacts so you can order through them.

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Poots

I'm working on a Dave costume right now. Pretty awesome to sign up and see other MSPA cosplayers here too!
Right now I'm trying to build his sword Caledscratch, and the tough part about it that I really want to attempt is getting the sword to switch from its broken version to its fixed version. I'm thinking for it to pop out (or at least slide out) like a switchblade.
I've never done anything like this so I need a few tips to make it. Hell, I don't know how to make a sword in the first place.
Poots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Geekies
Geekie Stars

Going to be Terezi~ owo
Agggh the paint! I'm not sure if I have enough! ;A;
I'm thiscloseto searching around for some extremely long gray gloves for the arms...but no.
I'm sure it'll be enough... >>;;; If not I'll hightail it back on over to the body paint resource. >.<;;
I feel bad because my horns are made of THE FELT.
-is lame-

Cosplay motto:
Fun > Effort > Recognizable > Accuracy > Everything else

If you're not having fun, then why do it, right?
Geekies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Fievrouge

Working on Terezi Just kinda compiling everything I'll need and then onto the craftsy stuff. The tricky part for me at the moment is deciding between black hair dye and a black wig D: Pros and serious cons to each.

I was actually wondering this too - just how likely is it that anyone is actually going to recognize the character/how may other homestuck cosplayers will there be?
Fievrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
Geekies
Geekie Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fievrouge View Post
Working on Terezi Just kinda compiling everything I'll need and then onto the craftsy stuff. The tricky part for me at the moment is deciding between black hair dye and a black wig D: Pros and serious cons to each.

I was actually wondering this too - just how likely is it that anyone is actually going to recognize the character/how may other homestuck cosplayers will there be?
You know, surprisingly, people knew who I was, which was really cool! O:
It'll be fine. owo
There might be Homestuck cosplayers and YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW IT in time. OTL
Don't worry, it'll be fine. =w=

Cosplay motto:
Fun > Effort > Recognizable > Accuracy > Everything else

If you're not having fun, then why do it, right?
Geekies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
princelysoft
Nina

Planning on doing Nepeta and Equius for SDCC '11 in God Tier mode (THAT IS SILLY) still...awesome fanarts been going around and I couldn't help it.

Medicine Seller
Sebastian Michaelis
Female Heroine
+ Moar

GO‼
princelysoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

I think I'm going to do a Troll group with a few of my friends for a con later in the year. I'm planning on being Vriska or possibly Feferi, and my other two friend are probably going to be Eridan and Aradia.
Heavens_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

I am planning a Nepeta cosplay =D
anyone know where I could get cheep or good grey make up for the trollz :33

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Heavens_Night
Little Lotte

Hanyaan has an amazing makeup tutorial. I wish I had the link, but I'm at school so I can't fetch it at the moment. :/ I'd suggest checking out the cosplay thread on the MSPA forums.
Heavens_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
LaurynTheHylian

Planning on making a God Tier Aradia costume.
LaurynTheHylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
niwaka

I finished up my Terezi costume a few weeks ago and had a blast a Megacon! There were so many Homestuck cosplayers, it was almost ridiculous. But mostly awesome xD

RE: Makeup - Here is Hanyaan's fantastic tutorial~http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4167924 it starts at post #1161. She made another one specifically for Gamzee on youtube ==>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN8GECxQzBw. I found that the Ben Nye makeup works super well and is straightforward to use. Make sure to use the setting powder, or it WILL smudge. Also, for arms, I used the same stuff, but I found that my setting powder wanted to rub off on everything >:I So, I am planning on trying the "Weeping Angel" glove/sleeve method for my next troll cosplay (that's this one ==>http://community.livejournal.com/cra...is/152724.html - the sleeve tut starts about 3/4 of the way down).

Also! It's pretty amazing how many people recognize you, or at least that it's MSPA. And even if they don't half the time your costume is just awesome enough to warrant the question, and thus, you can tell them about the awesomeness that is MSPA xD
niwaka is offline   Reply With Quote