Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #616
MelodyPond

I think they look pretty good, and they'll look awesome after they're painted!

For Jane, I think it all looks pretty good. Maybe make sure the shirt isn't pulled too straight down and let it be a little baggy so that we can see more of the skirt. The wig looks good too, maybe just don't pull the bangs as severely off to the side and let them flow a little more naturally though. It looks good though- you make a cute Jane!
MelodyPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #617
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyPond View Post
I think they look pretty good, and they'll look awesome after they're painted!

For Jane, I think it all looks pretty good. Maybe make sure the shirt isn't pulled too straight down and let it be a little baggy so that we can see more of the skirt. The wig looks good too, maybe just don't pull the bangs as severely off to the side and let them flow a little more naturally though. It looks good though- you make a cute Jane!
Thanks for the feedback!
About the bangs part of the wig, I don't particularly like that either but it's the best I can do with that wig, it's a really annoying and hard to style wig ><

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #618
MelodyPond

Ahh. With that I can sympathize. It doesn't bother me too badly, it was only something I noticed as i flicked through your pictures. I still think you look good!
MelodyPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #619
crimson001

I glanced through the thread, but I'm hoping this wasn't addressed because I already feel silly going to ask this.

I finally started reading Homestuck and I already know I want to cosplay Jade. I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out what sort of wig to use. It looks straight, but possibly a little wavy? It also looks like she's got really long hair, but that could just be the one page I'm looking at. Can anybody help me?
Fanime 2012
Anime Expo 2012

Costumes for this year:
God Tier Jade (Homestuck) - in progress
3 In The Morning Jade (Homestuck) - in progress
Cardverse Hungary (Hetalia) - further distressing needed
Chess Hungary (Hetalia) - planning stages
Nyotalia Canada (Hetalia) - several finished
Beach Suki (Avatar) - complete
crimson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #620
rogueofheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson001 View Post
I glanced through the thread, but I'm hoping this wasn't addressed because I already feel silly going to ask this.

I finally started reading Homestuck and I already know I want to cosplay Jade. I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out what sort of wig to use. It looks straight, but possibly a little wavy? It also looks like she's got really long hair, but that could just be the one page I'm looking at. Can anybody help me?
I've noticed most Jade players seem to go with straight wigs. As to the length, she's certainly not rivalling Feferi or Aradia but maybe more Vriska length only straighter.
AMFE
* Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck)
rogueofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #621
Nara Rei
is a Work-a-holic~!

Hi guys, I was wondering if a long curly wig would be except able for a Fem Dirk Strider cosplay. I was thinking to do the Ke$ha spin on it, but ya I just want some advice in it. Long or short what do you think?
Friday: Shura Kirigakure (Ao no Exorcist)
Saturday: Fem Gajeel Redfox (Fairy Tail)
Saturday/Sunday: Morgiana (Magi)
Nara Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #622
MissCookie
Iza-nii does my laundry

Look at the group shot from the Homestuck meetup (just one of them!) from Ichibancon 2012!!!

ALL THE HOMESTUCK! People got really tired of seeing us.

Gijinka Meganium - Pokemon (100%)
Fem!Mephisto - Ao No Exorcist (100%)
Fem!Jake English - Homestuck (100%)

~~~~
My DeviantART
My FanFiction Net
My Facebook
My Tumblr
MissCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #623
axiomatic

Feferi cosplay

hi! I'm currently working on a cosplay of Feferi to hopefully be done by summer and unfortunately she's one of the least cosplayed trolls it seems so I haven't been able to find too many resources

as for what I've done so far: I have a long black curly wig that goes down to my waist that I've pulled back the bangs of and I totally love it, I've made the horns out of model magic and then used these sort of rounded thumbtack-like objects to attach them to the wig (although I'm thinking about redoing the horns to make them smaller and less awkward). I'm also using Kryolan Aquacolor for body paint and seeing how that goes because I've heard great things about it. I've completely finished her tiara, though! I got a metal sheet from Home Depot, cut out a pattern for the tiara and then cut through the sheet with some big saw-like machine where my dad works so unfortunately I don't think this is something everyone can do. I also made the wrist bangles the same way, however I still need to make her necklace and anklets. with the tiara once it was cut and sanded I spray-painted it gold and then got a small jewel from Michaels and attached it to the front. I put elastic around the back of the tiara and it now fits on my head under my wig perfectly! I made her colored necklaces and bracelets out of simple beads from the craft store just out of those big tubs you can buy and it was extremely easy. I haven't had time to work on her trident yet, but so far I've bought a long wooden pole and cut out the base shapes of the ends of the trident to be sanded and then attached. this may not help anyone but I wanted to contribute what I had done so far just in case it might give anyone an idea for their cosplay!

now as for the problems I am having:
has anyone been able to find a pattern for Feferi's skirt? I am basically lost on how to approach it. I'm using broadcloth (maybe that is my problem?) and attempting *to sew two sides of it together for each side of the skirt. however the problem I get especially with the long tailish ends is that both sides sort of don't want to stay together, also that I totally didn't allow enough room for the space lost when I sewed both sides together so it was a whole big mess
then I'm having three instances of being unable to find things: her goggles, her shoes, and a leotard
for her goggles I want to use actual goggles just because I feel it makes a lot more sense (I'll probably just wear them around my neck for a lot of the time), and for her shoes I just need some cute flats that match her color! also does anyone know where I would be able to buy a leotard? I went into American Apparel looking for one but I got embarrassed and left and none of the sports stores here seem to carry dance stuff that's big enough

thank you if you're taking the time to read this sorry it ended up sort of long um if you have any questions about my process please ask and I would appreciate your help
axiomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #624
ayaasan

@axiomatic: To begin, AWESOME to see a Feferi cosplayer!~ I hope to work on her after a few more projects on my plate are finished--here's basically what I plan on doing:

First, for the leotard, check out: http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/TankLeotard.htm (i'd also recommend getting some tights in grey and matching the body paint so that you don't have to worry about the paint rubbing from your legs onto your pretty skirt!)

As for the shoes, I'd go with simple ballet flats and paint them the appropriate color. You can use acrylic paint, but be SURE to add textile medium (which you can find at Michaels) so that the paint doesn't crack. Then seal the shoes with some modge podge. Make some cute gold anklets and that's it!~

And hoo boy, I'd avoid broadcloth like no other if possible. It works awesome as a lining, but it tends to wrinkle SUPER easily. If you have to use it, please be sure to double it up so that it isn't see-through. I usually go to fabric stores and "feel up" (lol) the fabric. Since she's royalty, I'd lean toward a matte satin, like the casa satin collection from Joanns, and then fully lining it with the broadcloth. As for the trim, some pink bias tape would be my first choice.

I'd probably modify a wrap skirt pattern (like this: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2290-misses-separates.aspx) and extend the pattern in the back into the "tails" and cutting it in half for the blue half and green.

As for the goggles, you can probably find a pair on ebay. I'm actually planning on ordering a pair of pink sunglasses (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUND-Sungla...ht_2363wt_1037) and taking out the lenses so that I don't have to deal with smearing the makeup taking them on and off

Well, I think that's about all ya asked, but feel free to hit me up with any more questions I LOVE doing costume write-ups, lol.

Last edited by ayaasan : 02-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #625
NerdyNinjaSaur

Hello everyone! I've decided to stop lurking around and actually join in this lovely Homestuck posting. I've got a question for you all, where exactly could I find a good Gamzee wig? I was hoping to get one ordered pretty soon, but I don't know what to get.
Also if anyone knows about a Kanaya wig that would be great, so I could help my friend out with that. ^w^

Thank you all in advance!
Dave Strider (Planning Stage)
NerdyNinjaSaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #626
indigoFirebird
nyoom

Hey, everybody. I'm really new to these forums- just joined like twenty minutes ago! -and I was wondering if you guys could maybe help me out with a Homestuck cosplay of mine. I'm going to Zenkaikon in May, and I was hoping to make a Jake English costume by then.

Does anyone else agree that this Izaya Orihara wig would make a good wig for Jake if I styled it? I'm not the best wig styler, but I fixed Nantucket on my America wig and it only took like half an hour because I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Also yeah, does anyone have any tips on styling this to make it look something like Jake's hair? Oh, one more thing. If anyone's ever been to an FYE store, which I bet you probably have; you know those not-great-quality wigs that they have there that are supposed to be for Naruto or something? I saw a black one, and figured I might be able to trim that. It's relatively cheap I think, and it's the right color, but I don't know. I've never gotten a wig from there before. If any of you have, how was it? And if it turns out I don't want it/don't like it/it doesn't work with the costume, do they take returns?

I'm also probably going to take Jake's symbol thing here and use some nice iron-on transfer paper stuff to get it onto a white t-shirt.

My question is, does anyone know where I could get a pair of khaki shorts and a green jacket thing like Jake wears? I also have no money (sob sob), so I'd have to ask my parents to fund me, and I dunno how much money they're willing to shell out for a costume. So...yeah.

Oh, and one more question: Is anyone else going to Zenkaikon? It'd be really great to see you there, haha! I'm gonna be keeping my eyes peeled for a Dirk because I ship DirkJake so hard it's not even funny.

wishlist:
kazuichi souda (sdr2)
kanji tatsumi (p4)
lucario gijinka

conventions:
zenkaikon 2012- as aph america, dave strider, gumi megpoid
animenext 2013- as spock, touko fukawa
animenext 2014- as naoto shirogane + others??
indigoFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #627
DawnKestrel
The easily confused one

Decided to join this thread too, since I've finished my Davesprite cosplay ^_^ Planning on making the Signless next, anyone got any advice?

Next costumes
Rodea from Rodea the Sky Soldier
Raikou from Pokemon
Haou from Yu-Gi-Oh
Jesse from Yu-Gi-Oh
DawnKestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #628
Kiega

This thread's on a roll with newcomers, myself included heh. Planning out a Jadesprite now, and was wondering whether it would be better to make her chest fur out fluff out, or fabric that bulged out?

For the Signless, do you plan on wearing the hood on at all times? If not, it might be better to plan some holes in the hood for the horns individually, but I'm not entirely sure if it would work out if it's a particular windy day. Not sure about the Gamzee wig either.

Edit: Most of the cosplayers I've seen that has done the sprites have used makeup for the white spritey ghost effect, but I was wondering whether it would be one of those "really shouldn't think of not doing it" type of things. I don't mind using some makeup to give a light white effect, but kind of wanted to stay away from the whole "COMEPLETE WHITE" skin, despite accuracy issues. It was probably already mentioned throughout the thread (the same issue or for the troll skin too), but would it be drastically worse without it?
- Dark Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
- ?
- ?

Last edited by Kiega : 02-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Kiega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #629
LockedxxHeart

I thought I might as well step out from lurking and join with this influx of newcomers.
Hello everyone~!
Started reading Homestuck a few months ago, now want to cosplay entirely too many characters. I feel like that's the curse of cosplaying Homestuck, I swear!
As of now, I have completed alpha!Dave and Karkat cosplays. I have a few crappy shots of me as Karkat in my gallery, if anyone is interested.
As far as what's next, I'd really like to do a Kanaya cosplay as well, and possible even the Signless too. But for right now, I'm tackling props. I'll be making Holmes Smell Ya Later, helping a friend make Zillyhoo for a God Tier John cosplay, and making a few grub plushies for cute little props/gifts for friends.
Busy, busy!

Also, NerdyNinjaSaur, if you are looking for a Gamzee wig, I recommend this one:
http://thefivewits.net/2011/07/death...ing-butterfly/
I own four wigs from these lovely ladies, including the one I use for Karkat, so I really could not recommend wigs from them more. Hope this helped!
LockedxxHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #630
axiomatic

@ayaasan: oh I was not expecting a reply so quickly thank you very much!

thank you I will probably be ordering that leotard soon it looks basically perfect, but I'm guessing my plan to use an iron-on transfer for her symbol won't work since it's nylon but painting it won't be too tough

and as for the broadcloth yeah I knew something was up cause it was so cheap so I'll probably just make a sample or something then get better fabric for the actual thing, that pattern looks perfect too!! I'm totally a beginning sewer so this will probably be challenging for me but hopefully I'll figure it out and learn from it too

after looking around yeah I'm thinking glasses would probably be better than goggles and they usually end up looking super-cute too!!

thank you very much for all your advice I wish you luck on your Feferi cosplay as well!
axiomatic is offline   Reply With Quote