Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #721
flammingcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Shinsei View Post
@ flammingcorn: Looks like a decent coat to me. Removing the buttons from it would certainly be a big help, though (did that with the coat I have).
Okay, thanks! ^^

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #722
Schweigie
--

Just going to jump into the thread here...

But would it be extremely weird if I were to cosplay Jake with wire-framed glasses? I wear plastic frames everyday as my normal glasses but I find that wire-frames photograph much better on me.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #723
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Almost done with my Sollux cosplay... but does anybody know where I can get some good teeth from for him? I'd prefer to get some individual ones if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweigie View Post
Just going to jump into the thread here...

But would it be extremely weird if I were to cosplay Jake with wire-framed glasses? I wear plastic frames everyday as my normal glasses but I find that wire-frames photograph much better on me.
I still think it could work, depends on the glasses really!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Nobody answered you yet, so lemme weigh in. I think the style looks damn near perfect; the fringe really makes it and any slight inaccuracies in the sides are pretty unimportant in comparison. I didn't notice any, certainly.

The color you got looks like "off-black" instead of true black. A dark blue Sharpie or just the blue and black from a standard three-color office pack should do you.

Your Sollux is going to look great, you have his mope down already.
Okay I'm really late replying, sorry!! But aaah thank you, the wig has grown on me a lot since the initial disappointment, honestly. I'm definitely happy with the style now, I couldn't have asked for a better wig in terms of the fringe part since it parts like that without any real effort on my part.

Yeah, I'm going to try and Sharpie it so thank you Hopefully it'll work but it actually tends to look black a lot anyway when I'm wearing it. I guess I was overly critical to start with.

Thank you a lot hehe! I'm really glad you think so.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #724
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Almost done with my Sollux cosplay... but does anybody know where I can get some good teeth from for him? I'd prefer to get some individual ones if I can.

http://www.dentaldistortions.com/pro...products_id=47
I'd suggest Dental Distortions Immortal fangs. I used them for my Sollux cosplay and they're really comfy and can be molded to create a thick lisp.

Swooping in to see if anyone had a tutorial on Sword impaling illusions for Davesprites for no particular reason...?
A few Davesprites that exist focus only on the wings and no one says a peep about the sword. It's a bit frustrating.

Any help would be lovely.
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #725
flammingcorn

Looking for a little critique for me and some other trolls in progress. XD So far our Equius is lacking gloves, a wig, and glasses. He requested I didn't show his face until completion. Our Nepeta needs all her cat stuff like hat and tail, and could use a little wig work (I ruined the bangs trying to cut it). Then Karkat (me) could use some pants and some crossplay help with those hips! I also wasn't binding in that pic. XD And, of course, we all need to be wearing makeup. UM, but other than what I mentioned, how are we looking so far?

---

N/A

N/A

The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

N/A
Unread 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #726
Schweigie
--

@ToroSonyCat- I think I may just hold out on the glasses until I can get my wig, then I will just try a whole bunch on and see what works.

@flammingcorn - heres a quicky critique

- Equius's tights have those lines on them and if you are striving for accuracy then I would recommend to paint them on.
- I do not think that the way Nepeta's wig is cut is that bad. But my main problem in it is that the wig's fibers appear very shiny.
- I would take the buttons off of Nepeta's jacket aswell.
- Nepeta's horns look alittle like Terezi's due to the fact they are a bit skinny. I think they could still be used just fine, but if you ever remake them then make them a little wider.
- For both Karkat and Nepeta (and Equius when he gets horns and a wig), I think that the head band that the horns are on should be less noticable. A different attachment method or hiding the headband more would work.
- Karkat's wig could also use some trimming/styling(especially in the bangs).

Besides all those nit-picky details I think that all the costumes are coming along rather nicely. And I am sorry but I am new to binding myself, so I cant really help all that much there.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #727
flammingcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweigie View Post
@flammingcorn - heres a quicky critique

- Equius's tights have those lines on them and if you are striving for accuracy then I would recommend to paint them on.
- I do not think that the way Nepeta's wig is cut is that bad. But my main problem in it is that the wig's fibers appear very shiny.
- I would take the buttons off of Nepeta's jacket aswell.
- Nepeta's horns look alittle like Terezi's due to the fact they are a bit skinny. I think they could still be used just fine, but if you ever remake them then make them a little wider.
- For both Karkat and Nepeta (and Equius when he gets horns and a wig), I think that the head band that the horns are on should be less noticable. A different attachment method or hiding the headband more would work.
- Karkat's wig could also use some trimming/styling(especially in the bangs).

Besides all those nit-picky details I think that all the costumes are coming along rather nicely. And I am sorry but I am new to binding myself, so I cant really help all that much there.
Okay, thanks. ^^ I'll probably have to get Equius some new tights, as his are in two parts (footless tights and socks) And painting them to match up would be very hard. XD And yeah, her wig was a cheap $6.00 one I had on hand. I figured with her being so little, she didn't have to have exact perfect hair, especially with the hat. So it kinda sucks, but it may have to do (our convention is a little less than a month). I may try and find a way to attach the horns under the wigs to make the headbands less noticeable. And I have NO IDEA how to cut and style a wig. D: I may have to get a friend for that. BUT YES, now I know what to work on. XD Thanks again.

---

N/A

N/A

The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

N/A
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #728
RyukoKahuma
Cos-/Crossplayer

@flammingcorn: Not much to say on the other parts that haven't already been said, but for Karkat, there isn't really much you can do about disguising your hips, except maybe wearing some kind of shapewear meant to minimize things like that, and then padding your shoulders a little to balance your figure out and make you slightly more box shaped. (You aren't binding in that picture? Shenanigans! I really can't tell!) All in all, good luck! -runs off to work on her Feferi cosplay-
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #729
flammingcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukoKahuma View Post
@flammingcorn: Not much to say on the other parts that haven't already been said, but for Karkat, there isn't really much you can do about disguising your hips, except maybe wearing some kind of shapewear meant to minimize things like that, and then padding your shoulders a little to balance your figure out and make you slightly more box shaped. (You aren't binding in that picture? Shenanigans! I really can't tell!) All in all, good luck! -runs off to work on her Feferi cosplay-
I tried two different girdles mixed (one for lower body specifically and one for torso in general) and they seemed to help. And yeah, my boobs are pretty much nonexistent anyway. XD Here's my results of my finished cosplay:

---

N/A

N/A

The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

N/A
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #730
sakuratyan
coolkid of summer stars

Hey guys! Wanted to ask a few questions about my Jake cosplay, hohoho.
So I'm cosplaying Jake at Anime Expo this year. I still need a wig because I've been procrastinating on that for forever, but otherwise I'm good. (If anyone has any good, reliable (and possibly a bit on the cheap side?) wig sellers then please tell me, I'll be very grateful!)
I'm doing crossplay rather than fem!ver for like, the first time ever and I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on binding? I know not to use ACE bandages (especially since those are already hell when I'm just using them for my ankle or wrist) but otherwise I'm clueless. I can probably get away with not binding because I'm going to wear a pretty baggy shirt with a collared overshirt, although I'd really like to know for future reference and in case I decide to/am able to afford whatever I need to bind for cosplays.
Thanks in advance, guys! (:

completed:
Jake English (Homestuck, default outfit) // Vriska Serket (Homestuck, Humanstuck!God Tier)
sakuratyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #731
Lauriana

@Sakuratyan For binding if your chest is small you could probably get away with a sports bra but if you want something thats made for binding there's this site http:// ftm.underworks. com/
(just take out the spaces). As for the wig I use a fantasy sheep black/dark brown i can't seem to find a link but it was advertised as izaya durara(?). It's extremely thick in the front and requires some trimming and styling but it spikes really easily and could be used for John, Jake, and Karkat with probably minimal styling.
Lauriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #732
sakuratyan
coolkid of summer stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriana View Post
@Sakuratyan For binding if your chest is small you could probably get away with a sports bra but if you want something thats made for binding there's this site http:// ftm.underworks. com/
(just take out the spaces). As for the wig I use a fantasy sheep black/dark brown i can't seem to find a link but it was advertised as izaya durara(?). It's extremely thick in the front and requires some trimming and styling but it spikes really easily and could be used for John, Jake, and Karkat with probably minimal styling.
Oh, wow, this is perfect, thank you so much!

completed:
Jake English (Homestuck, default outfit) // Vriska Serket (Homestuck, Humanstuck!God Tier)
sakuratyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #733
3half

Boy am I late to the party or what.
I met people at Katsucon 2012 and they infected me with the Homestuck bug. So here I am trying to piece together a respectable Gamzee cosplay.

I wanted to get some critique on my face makeup here. I know the wig is wrong, but whatevah:

Also wanted to know if I should add eyeliner to make my eyes look droopy?
I have a post here so you can tell me which looks best without me posting 309832958 pictures

And lastly, I wanted to know if these horns are okay. Most people do the shape differently, and I'm planning on remaking them because they're wobbly but I like the shape and idk. I want a second opinion

Last edited by 3half : 05-29-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added a picture of the cheekbone swooshes
3half is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #734
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

How active are Homestuckers at cons/meetups? Like how in depth are they with the inside/deep inside the fandom jokes and whatnot? I'm new to this community and want to cosplay my Jade Vantas (a cross between Jade and Karkat) character. I'm good with being Jade and communicating with the kids to an extent, but not so much trolls. I don't want them to be all 'inside joke! Trollromance! etc' on me (Trolls aren't my strong suit.)

ANYWAYS, are the Homstuckers kind to newcomers? I don't think I'll be a deepdeep fan of it like I am with Hetalia. Is there anything I should know about the fandom and what is commonly discussed? I know about the buckets, not a homosexual, warned you about the stairs....I know there's always a hundred trolls and like ten kids lols.

Last edited by HerrLudwig : 06-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #735
Lauriana

@3half One of the horns (the one on the right) seems to have a straight edge on the bottom. though I like the shape over-all though and about the droopy eyes maybe if you add eyeliner underneath the eye thicker than the top it would make them look droopy? I don't really know I'm not that familiar with makeup

@ThomasPaine I thinks the homestuck fandom is really friendly to new people. I went to Wondercon this year I was dressed as alpha!Dave and everyone was friendly. I made some friends and it was a good first experience in the fandom. (is that what you were talking about??? idk haha)
Lauriana is offline   Reply With Quote