Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #736
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriana View Post
@ThomasPaine I thinks the homestuck fandom is really friendly to new people. I went to Wondercon this year I was dressed as alpha!Dave and everyone was friendly. I made some friends and it was a good first experience in the fandom. (is that what you were talking about??? idk haha)
When you cosplayed as him, were you deep into the fandom? I see on Tumblr that some people realllllyyy are into Homestuck, and I'm not. I know nothing about the AU's (besides 4chords and humanstuck), I don't ship anyone that much (I know characters that would look good together but I don't ship them)....
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #737
Lauriana

I guess at the time I wasn't too deep in the fandom itself, like I said it was my first experience with the fandom but I loved/love the comic itself if thats what you mean. But about the AUs it really depends on who you talk to/ hang out with.
Lauriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #738
Lady Shinsei
~ Duelist of Heart ~

Talking

Speaking of AUs, some people pull stuff out of their ass on occasion... XD

(example: when I did "Hippy Renegade" at AkiCon 2011, because I didn't feel like putting on most of my Aimless Renegade cosplay; wore a tie-dye shirt and cream pants with the mask, helm, long-sleeve black shirt, and black gloves that I use for AR)

Anyhoo, felt like sharing a bit 'o awesomeness with you all - a decent photo of my Clubs Deuce cosplay that I made a few months ago (debuted at Emerald City Comic Con) = 2 Heroes and a Deuce

Check out my DeviantArt page if you wish = Kara-Kazeneko

Cosplay WIP = Rex Raptor (Yu-Gi-Oh!), Rinku (Yu Yu Hakusho), God Tier Jane (Homestuck), my own gijinka version of Majesty (oldschool MLP), Clay (Pokemon B&W), and renovating existing stuff.
Lady Shinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #739
sakuratyan
coolkid of summer stars

@ThomasPaine, it depends on what part of the fandom you associate with as there ARE the ones who actually care about the Homestuck/Hetalia war and then there are the ones who don't care about that and just thoroughly enjoy the series. At cons, there are quite a lot of really nice fandom members. I made some really good friends in the fandom when I found out there was actually a fandom for MSPA and they typically greet newcomers very nicely (unless you're Dante Basco, then Andrew Hussie will tweet about you and greet you through the site header).
Not everybody is involved in the fandom jokes and a lot of them are more of an ironic thing to a lot of fandom members (like how a lot of people won't ever seriously say jegus grist or laugh at buckets). But like with anyone else, I'm sure if you talk about what you know and mix a bit of that with what they know then the conversation will hit off! People are pretty understanding of the fact that not everybody reads into every single freakin' moment of Homestuck or don't actively participate with shipping, so it's perfectly fine that you don't

On another note, any suggestions for my Jake cosplay? picture: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ed8o1_1280.png
I do realize I'm wearing a girl belt 'cause I had no other belts at that time and I am wearing girl's boots. Established that? Alright, woohoo! Also, that shirt was a prototype so I'm making a different one.

Any tips on styling my wig? (it's still un-styled and I need to style it before the end of June) Also, should I wear one of those buttoned overshirts like most Jake cosplayers typically have/that Jake's outfit has anyway? I'm very iffy on it right now since I don't have money, but I kinda wanna wear one anyway. So in that case, do you guys happen to know a place where I can get a shirt like that really cheap? (by cheap, I mean less than $20, more specifically around $10 or cheaper would be really great too!)

completed:
Jake English (Homestuck, default outfit) // Vriska Serket (Homestuck, Humanstuck!God Tier)

Last edited by sakuratyan : 06-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.
sakuratyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #740
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuratyan View Post
@ThomasPaine, it depends on what part of the fandom you associate with as there ARE the ones who actually care about the Homestuck/Hetalia war and then there are the ones who don't care about that and just thoroughly enjoy the series. At cons, there are quite a lot of really nice fandom members. I made some really good friends in the fandom when I found out there was actually a fandom for MSPA and they typically greet newcomers very nicely (unless you're Dante Basco, then Andrew Hussie will tweet about you and greet you through the site header).
Not everybody is involved in the fandom jokes and a lot of them are more of an ironic thing to a lot of fandom members (like how a lot of people won't ever seriously say jegus grist or laugh at buckets). But like with anyone else, I'm sure if you talk about what you know and mix a bit of that with what they know then the conversation will hit off! People are pretty understanding of the fact that not everybody reads into every single freakin' moment of Homestuck or don't actively participate with shipping, so it's perfectly fine that you don't

On another note, any suggestions for my Jake cosplay? picture: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ed8o1_1280.png
I do realize I'm wearing a girl belt 'cause I had no other belts at that time and I am wearing girl's boots. Established that? Alright, woohoo! Also, that shirt was a prototype so I'm making a different one.

Any tips on styling my wig? (it's still un-styled and I need to style it before the end of June) Also, should I wear one of those buttoned overshirts like most Jake cosplayers typically have/that Jake's outfit has anyway? I'm very iffy on it right now since I don't have money, but I kinda wanna wear one anyway. So in that case, do you guys happen to know a place where I can get a shirt like that really cheap? (by cheap, I mean less than $20, more specifically around $10 or cheaper would be really great too!)
Oh thanks!!!! I feel better now knowing that there are people who aren't deep into Homestuck :3 I don't think I could finish act 7 in a week.
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #741
Lady Shinsei
~ Duelist of Heart ~

Cool

@ sakuratyan = Very well put indeed! And not everyone wants to get so deep into things, by choice (a.k.a. just not that interested; I have a bunch of friends like that). Another important thing to note: the sad thing is when certain fans get everyone in trouble, and I'm not talking about the HS/Hetalia war. Here where I live, in the western part of Washington state, there has been a serious problem with "fandom bashing" going around due to some incidents with a few fans at a local con & horror stories people have heard online from other cons. So whenever someone sees a HS fan at events now, they either shy away from & ignore them, and/or go & badmouth them to their friends or online afterwards - making people think that HS fans are all bad eggs. This has produced a movement of trying to improve other congoers/cosplayers view of us by improving our behavior at conventions & cosplay events, and so far it's been working out rather well. I am proudly a part of this 'revolution' so to speak, as a 'watchdog' of sorts. If people have a problem with HS fans at an event (especially the monthly cosplay meetup known as GasuKan), I'm one of the key people to talk to about it. Because there's a good chance I might know who the offender is & can talk to them about changing their behavior and whatnot. (and in the event of not knowing who it is, I'm in contact with others who might)

Check out my DeviantArt page if you wish = Kara-Kazeneko

Cosplay WIP = Rex Raptor (Yu-Gi-Oh!), Rinku (Yu Yu Hakusho), God Tier Jane (Homestuck), my own gijinka version of Majesty (oldschool MLP), Clay (Pokemon B&W), and renovating existing stuff.

Last edited by Lady Shinsei : 06-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Lady Shinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #742
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Shinsei View Post
@ sakuratyan = Very well put indeed! And not everyone wants to get so deep into things, by choice (a.k.a. just not that interested; I have a bunch of friends like that). Another important thing to note: the sad thing is when certain fans get everyone in trouble, and I'm not talking about the HS/Hetalia war. Here where I live, in the western part of Washington state, there has been a serious problem with "fandom bashing" going around due to some incidents with a few fans at a local con & horror stories people have heard online from other cons. So whenever someone sees a HS fan at events now, they either shy away from & ignore them, and/or go & badmouth them to their friends or online afterwards - making people think that HS fans are all bad eggs. This has produced a movement of trying to improve other congoers/cosplayers view of us by improving our behavior at conventions & cosplay events, and so far it's been working out rather well. I am proudly a part of this 'revolution' so to speak, as a 'watchdog' of sorts. If people have a problem with HS fans at an event (especially the monthly cosplay meetup known as GasuKan), I'm one of the key people to talk to about it. Because there's a good chance I might know who the offender is & can talk to them about changing their behavior and whatnot. (and in the event of not knowing who it is, I'm in contact with others who might)
I'm a big fan of both (More Hetalia than HS). If I lived over there I would help but I don't :\ If I may ask, what are some of the incidents?
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #743
Lauriana

@sakuratyan this site has a ton of wig tutorials http:// cosplay-tutorials. tumblr.com/ just take out the spaces. You could try a thrift store for the overshirt. Maybe some tube socks? Some people like Jake/John with tube socks.
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #744
Schweigie
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
I'm a big fan of both (More Hetalia than HS). If I lived over there I would help but I don't :\ If I may ask, what are some of the incidents?
The only things I have heard is of is people getting wacked with buckets(though I am not quite sure if thats true or not) and just being generally loud and inappropriate. But I would actually like to know some of these other incidents before I cosplay it too. Just out of curiosity mainly.

I am actually going to push back my idea to cosplay Jake now and going to go with a troll first. I have two friends that want to do trolls and this way a could help with face paint and horns and such since I would be making them too. Besides I have just fallen in love with Meenah and Vriska latley.

Vriska's horns are kind of tall and I will be making them out of modelmagic; should I put some sort of wire in them to make them stronger or something? I have made Karkat horns before which was pretty easy but hers are bigger so I am a little bit unsure.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Last edited by Schweigie : 06-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #745
flammingcorn

I finally debuted my Karkat cosplay a day or so ago! Thought I'd share all the pics I have.

WIP/practice: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1218999&type=3

Con debut: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1218999&type=3

Other: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1218999&type=3

What do you guys think? 8D

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #746
sakuratyan
coolkid of summer stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriana View Post
@sakuratyan this site has a ton of wig tutorials http:// cosplay-tutorials. tumblr.com/ just take out the spaces. You could try a thrift store for the overshirt. Maybe some tube socks? Some people like Jake/John with tube socks.
Thank you very much! I'll definitely try. About the socks though (I was wearing ankle-cuts when taking this picture since I couldn't find any other pairs), I might try wearing a pair of crew socks instead since I have those ready at hand. Would that work in the same way since they're pretty much the same except for crew socks being somewhat shorter?

completed:
Jake English (Homestuck, default outfit) // Vriska Serket (Homestuck, Humanstuck!God Tier)
sakuratyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #747
kAZbear

@ flammingcorn, the pics with Nepeta are soooo cute, and your Karkat is seriously awsome *flails*

I'm planning on doing a Karkat too, but I dunno... :/ I don't think I could stay in character without bursting into laughter/apologising for being a jerkface though ehehe. Anyone have tips on staying IC?

Costumes in progress

Ness (Earthbound)
Iwamine Shuu (Hatoful Boyfriend)
kAZbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #748
flammingcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAZbear View Post
@ flammingcorn, the pics with Nepeta are soooo cute, and your Karkat is seriously awsome *flails*

I'm planning on doing a Karkat too, but I dunno... :/ I don't think I could stay in character without bursting into laughter/apologising for being a jerkface though ehehe. Anyone have tips on staying IC?
Thanks! ^^ I didn't really stay in character much as Karkat. XD Mostly because I couldn't the F-word in front of my mom or little cousin. XD

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #749
Lauriana

@Schweigie I don't normally use model magic I just used it once but you could try using tin foil and wire as a base for the horns then covering it with clay and use wire to also shape the little hook things maybe?

@sakuratyan I think it's really based on personal preference but crew socks would do the trick as well
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #750
Thiayn

My best friend recently became obsessed (thanks to me apparently, although I've only tried to get her to read it once, last year, and when she wasn't interested, I didn't force it on her anymore. I think it was the fact she was just around me and my own cosplays so much), with homestuck, so we're now planning on cosplaying Eridan and Feferi together for Otakuthon (in Montreal), and a small con in November in my city, Naru2u.

She's been so excited for it though that in a few days, she's done most of the major parts of my cosplay (Wig, pants, and she's working on the shirt. I already have glasses, and a scarf, and a half finished wand, and half finished horns for the both of us done. ), as well as her own cosplay (she's mainly been concentrating on the jewelry, makeup--for both of us, fins, and shirt. She's waiting for the fabric for her skirt to come in the mail.)

I can't say I'm not excited for this either. I was already planning on cosplaying Eridan in the near future, but the fact I have my own fef now has me doubly excited.

I also really want to make Ahab's crosshairs for November, but I'm not sure yet how to go about it yet.

Working on
Rainbow Dash - My Little Pony FiM, Kanaya Maryam - Homestuck, God Tier John Egbert - Homestuck

Planning on
Dave Strider - Homestuck, Romania - Axis Powers Hetalia, Garry - Ib, Minty - G3 My little pony

Upcoming cons
Naru2u 2012, Ganime 2013, Anime North 2013
Thiayn is offline   Reply With Quote