Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #766
Nessie Toreador
Mage of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametheneko View Post
Hey! I've never cosplayed Kanaya, but one of my best friends did, and it wound up looking great! What she did was get a piece of red cloth that we hemmed at the bottom. She wrapped it around herself, and then once she figured out where it would overlap, she sewed off the excess and hemmed that. Then she sewed buttons on to the top layer and painted stripes on that.

If that didn't make sense, here's a very poorly drawn visual aid!
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Newcanvas.jpg

I hope that helps some!! Best of luck!
I think I understand! Thanks so much for the help!
Nessie Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #767
Schweigie
--

@ametheneko

Oh thats really great tutorial thanks! I think it will help and I might use that for my Vriska arm too.

--

I was talking with my friend about doing an orginal Homestuck cosplay and she suggested something along the lines of steampunk. I sketched up some designs for my Vriska(mainly god tier with aspects of her FLARP outfit) and her Aradia(mainly robo with aspects of her god tier) and they are looking really awsome right now. If we are ever serious about cosplay this then I think I will try and drag my other friend(Eridan) into our little group aswell.

I might post the designs later once I clean them up and color them.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #768
Tsukino Sora

My friends and I are thinking of cosplaying some OCs. Does this seem like a good idea, or a really, really bad one? They aren't trolls, by the way; they are kids.
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #769
wafflefrolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
-I am aware there are laws and stuff against using a blind person cane if you are not, in fact, blind. Can anyone think of anything to add to a blind cane to make it look less...official? (Hard to look official when your skin is grey and wearing orange horns...)
There's a difference between "using" a white cane and having one. For example, the white cane law for washington state says:
Quote:
Unauthorized use of white cane, dog guide, or service animal.
It shall be unlawful for any pedestrian who is not totally or partially blind to use a white cane or any pedestrian who is not totally or partially blind or is not hearing impaired to use a dog guide or any pedestrian who is not otherwise physically disabled to use a service animal in any of the places, accommodations, or conveyances listed in RCW 70.84.010 for the purpose of securing the rights and privileges accorded by the chapter to totally or partially blind, hearing impaired, or otherwise physically disabled people.
You should check the white cane law in your state/in the state your convention will be held in (google "white cane law" and the name of your state) BUT as long as you don't use the cane like someone who was legitimately handicapped would (holding it out in front of you etc), you aren't breaking the law. Just hold your cane like a stick or a staff or something unless you're having your photo taken and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweigie View Post
@ametheneko

I was talking with my friend about doing an orginal Homestuck cosplay and she suggested something along the lines of steampunk. I sketched up some designs for my Vriska(mainly god tier with aspects of her FLARP outfit) and her Aradia(mainly robo with aspects of her god tier) and they are looking really awsome right now. If we are ever serious about cosplay this then I think I will try and drag my other friend(Eridan) into our little group aswell.

I might post the designs later once I clean them up and color them.
this sounds really really cool
wafflefrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #770
Emi
want some pins with that?

Hey guys, so I have a question about fabric choices! I'm thinking about doing Fancy Dreamer Roxy (a la rumminov) and am just not quite sure what kind of fabric to use for her dress. It's very form fitting so I almost want something with a bit of stretch but I am just clueless with what to look for or even if a stretchy fabric would be okay for the bodice of her dress.
Any suggestions?

Link to image: http://i.imgur.com/smRre.jpg

[Next Cons]: AWA // Holiday Matsuri

[Progress]

Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu School Uniform) - 90%
Kida Masaomi (Yellow Scarves) - 10%

tumblr

Last edited by Emi : 08-01-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #771
Convulsive
professional fish bitch

i finished my Feferi skirt yesterday 38D
I love it so much. The only problem I have is getting it on my body, since i didn't make it an actual wrap-around (oops)

UP NEXT
undyne the undying
new 52 Harley Quinn - Roller Girl outfit
widowmaker

FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #772
Lupe Garu

I'm going to be attending my first con this fall (Nebraskon) and I plan on going as Gamzee/Sober Gamzee. The only thing I'm stuck on is the pants T.T I don't know if I should go with black jeans or sweat pants. And what would be the easiest way to get the poka dots? And for sober Gamzee the blood of the other trolls... What is the best way to make troll blood?
Otherwise my list is this: Ben Nye white and grey aqua paint, black tooth color, sealer spray, shirt, pants, wig cap liner, and wig. I have purple chucks and the horns (that my lovely little sister is making for me) and as far as the eyes go I will probably wear regular contacts (unless I get the money and can find a pair of perscription colored contacts I can afford) Is there anything I'm missing?
Lupe Garu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #773
CelestialApathy
Reika

Hey everyone I've got a question here (or two) that I could use some help on if anyone's willing to read this.

I'm planning on cospaying god tier tavros at the end of the month, and I'm stuck on color choices for a piece I'm trying to buy.

I mean I know it's pretty much basic hero of breath color palette in general. But tavros has all these weird pieces that can be interpreted differently.

My problem is this. Should i get the "Turquoise" or the "Medium Blue" for The shorts and sleeves on tavros' god tier outfit. Or maybe a different blue altogether? I'd like to stick as close to canon as possible if i can. Here's the link to the item,
http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/Lon...ckLeotard.htm#

also for the shorts(or speedo thing) should i just make this a separate piece along with the under sleeves or just get the leotard?
CelestialApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #774
Convulsive
professional fish bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Garu View Post
I'm going to be attending my first con this fall (Nebraskon) and I plan on going as Gamzee/Sober Gamzee. The only thing I'm stuck on is the pants T.T I don't know if I should go with black jeans or sweat pants. And what would be the easiest way to get the poka dots? And for sober Gamzee the blood of the other trolls... What is the best way to make troll blood?
Otherwise my list is this: Ben Nye white and grey aqua paint, black tooth color, sealer spray, shirt, pants, wig cap liner, and wig. I have purple chucks and the horns (that my lovely little sister is making for me) and as far as the eyes go I will probably wear regular contacts (unless I get the money and can find a pair of perscription colored contacts I can afford) Is there anything I'm missing?
well, he wears clown pants. so your best bet is getting the baggiest pair of black sweatpants you can find, and just painting the dots on. I've seen people cut out a circle from cardstock and use it as a stencil so all the dots are even.

For blood, I feel like the cheapest & easiest way is buying small bottles of acrylic paint in the colors and squirting it on your clothes/hands/etc, but that stuff is impossible to get off.

UP NEXT
undyne the undying
new 52 Harley Quinn - Roller Girl outfit
widowmaker

FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #775
Lupe Garu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
well, he wears clown pants. so your best bet is getting the baggiest pair of black sweatpants you can find, and just painting the dots on. I've seen people cut out a circle from cardstock and use it as a stencil so all the dots are even.

For blood, I feel like the cheapest & easiest way is buying small bottles of acrylic paint in the colors and squirting it on your clothes/hands/etc, but that stuff is impossible to get off.
Thanks for the blood my sister suggested school glue and food color, possibly some flour to make it a little thicker. And I will be looking for a pair of sweats, I'll just use fabric paint to do the circles.
Lupe Garu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #776
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Hello, I just started working on a Dolorosa costume and I wanted some honest opinions on how my horns look (and I promise not to get bitchy or whiny if you say they need work).

Basic horn shape

The base is made of carved styrofoam and covered in clay. I made the mistake of buying modelling clay instead of bakeable clay. Has anyone ever worked with Plastimodal before? I was going to leave it for a week and see if it hardens on its own via air-dry method, but if you know for a fact that this is shitty clay, I'll just buy better stuff next time.
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #777
Emi
want some pins with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan View Post
Hello, I just started working on a Dolorosa costume and I wanted some honest opinions on how my horns look (and I promise not to get bitchy or whiny if you say they need work).

Basic horn shape

The base is made of carved styrofoam and covered in clay. I made the mistake of buying modelling clay instead of bakeable clay. Has anyone ever worked with Plastimodal before? I was going to leave it for a week and see if it hardens on its own via air-dry method, but if you know for a fact that this is shitty clay, I'll just buy better stuff next time.
I think they're pretty good! I'd maybe curve them a bit more if possible? Her horns seem to go out and then come back in to make a big curve while yours are straighter. No idea about the clay though, sorry!

[Next Cons]: AWA // Holiday Matsuri

[Progress]

Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu School Uniform) - 90%
Kida Masaomi (Yellow Scarves) - 10%

tumblr
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #778
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Garu View Post
Hey! For the circles on the pants, I'd actually suggest printing out circles on iron-on transfer paper and then ironing them to the fabric. I've seen other cosplayers do painted circles or sewn on circles, and I just personally think the transfer method looks amazing.

As for blood, it depends on where you want it. I recently just took a sober Gamzee photoshoot, and for his scars we just used purple Ben Nye that we applied reeeeeeeally thickly. But for blood elsewhere, there's a few ways you can go. The first time we tried to do sober Gamz, we used puffy paint to create a shirt that was soaked in blood, and then put that paint on my face for the scars. It worked and looked amazing, but the puffy paint has a tendency of crusting over and then flaking off of skin after a while, so it can get a little annoying. On fabric, though, it looks amazing and works really, really well!

If you don't want to stain your shirt with paint, though, there's another option. Whenever I make fake troll blood, I use dish soap, chocolate syrup, and then a few drops of food coloring to achieve the desired shade. It looks really nice for photos and such, but the problem is that when it's on skin, it's really sticky. If you apply it to clothing, though, it winds up looking really nice and pretty impressive without the problem of stickiness. The only catch is since I haven't ever tried it on a black shirt, I can't really account for how well it'd stand out, but if you got it on your Capricorn sign, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference. (I had some drip on my poke-a-dots and it looked really great.)

If you're interested in colored contact lenses, also, I'd recommend checking out Alice and Rabbit. They have really, really nice contacts for low prices. I recently ordered in a pair of prescription red ones and a pair of normal blue ones for a Dave and John costume, and myself and my friend were both very impressed with the results. People kept walking up to my John and complimenting her "natural eye color." The contacts are nice, and ours were both $30 a pair, not counting shipping.

I know I'm really wordy, but I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan View Post

Basic horn shape

I agree with the idea of curving them ever so slightly more, but aside from that I think they look fantastic!

Unfortunately with the Plastimodal, I'm all too familiar with that clay. My mom's an art teacher, and that's the clay she uses for basic teaching principals year to year. It doesn't harden. I have, in fact, had a model that I made out of that clay no less than ten years ago that's still malleable. From what I remember, attempting to bake it results in a soupy sort of mess. I know you put a lot of work into them, but it's a good thing there's a styrofoam base in this case. I'd probably suggest just taking the clay off the best that you could and covering the styrofoam base again with Model Magic or Paperclay, which will air dry in a few days. If you really don't want to back pedal that far, it's possible that you may be able to put a layer of Model Magic over what you've already made. When that hardens, it might make a sort of exoskeleton for the Plastimodal. It might be worth a shot to try, though?

I'm sorry you have to back track, but I'm really excited to see your finished cosplay!

In-Progress Cosplay
Link - Hyrule Warriors
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Tali'Zorah - Mass Effect 3

Cosplay Facebook
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #779
kuko-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametheneko View Post
I agree with the idea of curving them ever so slightly more, but aside from that I think they look fantastic!

Unfortunately with the Plastimodal, I'm all too familiar with that clay. My mom's an art teacher, and that's the clay she uses for basic teaching principals year to year. It doesn't harden. I have, in fact, had a model that I made out of that clay no less than ten years ago that's still malleable. From what I remember, attempting to bake it results in a soupy sort of mess. I know you put a lot of work into them, but it's a good thing there's a styrofoam base in this case. I'd probably suggest just taking the clay off the best that you could and covering the styrofoam base again with Model Magic or Paperclay, which will air dry in a few days. If you really don't want to back pedal that far, it's possible that you may be able to put a layer of Model Magic over what you've already made. When that hardens, it might make a sort of exoskeleton for the Plastimodal. It might be worth a shot to try, though?

I'm sorry you have to back track, but I'm really excited to see your finished cosplay!
Backtracking is not an issue. It'll give me a chance to carve out a bit more of a curve in the styrofoam. Thank you for the info on the clay. It's a good thing you told me now. I'd hate to be disappointed in a week when it's still soft.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #780
kuko-chan

Ok, here's an update on the horns: Painted horns
Whatcha think? (The unpainted parts are not part of the horns.)