Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #781
MeliZbeauty
 
Posts: n/a
yay finally found other homestuck
  Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #782
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer
 
ametheneko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 239
I figured here might be the best place to ask this! I had a set of Model Magic horns that has recently cracked in half. I tried Elmer's, Tacky glue, wood glue, and contact cement and nothing seems to hold them together. Can you guys think of anything else that might be able to glue Model Magic?
__________________

In-Progress Cosplay
Link - Hyrule Warriors
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Tali'Zorah - Mass Effect 3

Cosplay Facebook
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #783
Bodici22
is a crazy person.
 
Bodici22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametheneko View Post
I figured here might be the best place to ask this! I had a set of Model Magic horns that has recently cracked in half. I tried Elmer's, Tacky glue, wood glue, and contact cement and nothing seems to hold them together. Can you guys think of anything else that might be able to glue Model Magic?
I don't think it's an issue of being able to glue model magic. If they cracked in half, pretty much no glue can hold it together on its own. You might want to get a skewer or a dowel (and you might need to drill a hole into the horn if you use a dowel, but it'll be stronger) and then put that into the horn for support. With that helping prevent them breaking along the break line, you should be able to use white glue or wood glue just fine. I'm not super familiar with contact cement or tacky glue, so they might work. A lot of things will glue model magic since it's foamy and so porous.

If you don't want to use a dowel, you might be able to twist some wire into a spiral and use that to screw the horns together. You won't need glue but it'll be harder to get the pieces to line up.
__________________
Current sewing machine count: 9 and a serger. I need to stop buying any machine I find that works and is less than $50. I have a problem.


Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #784
careko
Registered User
 
careko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
Quote:
The base is made of carved styrofoam and covered in clay. I made the mistake of buying modelling clay instead of bakeable clay. Has anyone ever worked with Plastimodal before? I was going to leave it for a week and see if it hardens on its own via air-dry method, but if you know for a fact that this is shitty clay, I'll just buy better stuff next time.
I bought plastimodal too. I still shaped my thing, but I put a modeling paste over it (which become hard after 24h (liquitex modeling paste)) so it was good for shaping but other that that, it's not so useful for cosplay props -_-;

Modeling paste is really useful to put over something already shaped. you can sand it too and color the color or the paste with acrylic based colors. http://www.liquitex.com/modelingpaste/

only thing, texture when not dry is like tooth paste...
__________________
careko.deviantart.com
careko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #785
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer
 
ametheneko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodici22 View Post
I don't think it's an issue of being able to glue model magic. If they cracked in half, pretty much no glue can hold it together on its own. You might want to get a skewer or a dowel (and you might need to drill a hole into the horn if you use a dowel, but it'll be stronger) and then put that into the horn for support. With that helping prevent them breaking along the break line, you should be able to use white glue or wood glue just fine. I'm not super familiar with contact cement or tacky glue, so they might work. A lot of things will glue model magic since it's foamy and so porous.

If you don't want to use a dowel, you might be able to twist some wire into a spiral and use that to screw the horns together. You won't need glue but it'll be harder to get the pieces to line up.
Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I attempted something similar to that, by wrapping the break in electrical tape and propping it up against a can to keep in the right position while the glue dried. The reason the horns cracked in the first place is because I left them sitting in my car, with the windows down, for about a month in the middle of summer. My concern is that, despite keeping the pieces in constant contact during the drying process, they refuse to bond, even when using contact cement, which is a permanent bond even when between metal objects. Although perhaps the lack of bonding was just a fluke.

Thank you for typing out your response to me! Since the break is in the middle of my horns, though, and since they're Gamzee horns, it's a little hard to patch with a straight dowel or a screw. But that's my fault for not providing reference. Here's a picture, in case that helps you or anyone else? But thank you so much for taking your time to try to help me out!

Sorry for the low quality webcam picture, but it's the best I've got right now. (The reason the horn isn't in two pieces completely is because the string that I used to make the ribbing effect is holding it on.)
__________________

In-Progress Cosplay
Link - Hyrule Warriors
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Tali'Zorah - Mass Effect 3

Cosplay Facebook
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #786
Bodici22
is a crazy person.
 
Bodici22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,360
@ametheneko: Ouch. Yeah. That's a tricky spot. I guess if you have a dowel or something that's only like 3 inches long, and then maybe putting in a bit more model magic. You say it cracked from being left in the car? I guess there could be a moisture/heat related thing, so maybe putting more model magic in the crack, letting it dry, and then putting glue on both sides of that little patch piece you made. I've got some model magic floating around, so I'll try out every glue I have and see if any of them stick really well.

OH I JUST HAD AN IDEA. Have you tried Gorilla Glue? It foams up so if you put the pieces together and wrap them with tape like you did before, that might stick better because you'll get more contact. I'm still going to vote putting some sort of support running the length of the horn, even if it's a very short one, because it'll put less stress on the glue and make it easier to get the pieces lined up seamlessly.
__________________
Current sewing machine count: 9 and a serger. I need to stop buying any machine I find that works and is less than $50. I have a problem.


Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #787
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness
 
Jabberwack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 218
I'm back to ask the oddest question.
For any trolls that use the amazing creation called arm socks, do you put your facepaint on first, or after? I don't want to get the paint on my arm socks, therefore I can't do it with the arm socks on, and because the grey facepaint will get messed up if I put the armsocks on after. Any advice?
__________________

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Friday: Sober! Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) 80%
Saturday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Sunday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Jabberwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #788
FeralSheep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
I'm back to ask the oddest question.
For any trolls that use the amazing creation called arm socks, do you put your facepaint on first, or after? I don't want to get the paint on my arm socks, therefore I can't do it with the arm socks on, and because the grey facepaint will get messed up if I put the armsocks on after. Any advice?
Hmm, is the only problem with putting on them on before being getting the paint on the hand area, or does it get on further down as well?

If it's only the hand area, perhaps you could cover them with some disposable gloves before you apply the make-up?
FeralSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #789
MeliZbeauty
 
Posts: n/a
If you guys are having a problem with horn making why not try the foam, you know the one they use for plant decorating, cover it with a single layer of clay sand it and paint, lighter and more sturdy.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #790
ADAM+EVE
Awesome
 
ADAM+EVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametheneko View Post
I figured here might be the best place to ask this! I had a set of Model Magic horns that has recently cracked in half. I tried Elmer's, Tacky glue, wood glue, and contact cement and nothing seems to hold them together. Can you guys think of anything else that might be able to glue Model Magic?
A stiff wire screw/coil/spring perhaps?

EDIT:
I didn't read your most recent post. I think it you take a pair of pliers and make the coil longer and thinner then screw it in, add a bit of epoxy putty halfway, then screw on the top half, it would be perfect.

Last edited by ADAM+EVE : 08-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #791
Briana-Sama
shoot for the moon
 
Briana-Sama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 939
Finished my Meenah braids last night and got a picture of them today of how long they are on me. They measure seven feet.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...hrkko1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...hrkko1_500.jpg
__________________
2013 Con schedule
AseliaCon
A-Kon
San Japan?
AnimeFest
YuleCon

A-Kon Cosplays
Meenah Peixes [Homestuck]
Castiel [Supernatural]
AU!Finn the Human? [Adventure Time]
Secret Cosplay [---]
Briana-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #792
kAZbear
Registered User
 
kAZbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana-Sama View Post
Finished my Meenah braids last night and got a picture of them today of how long they are on me. They measure seven feet.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...hrkko1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...hrkko1_500.jpg

All my feels <3 I suck at making wig braids, they always turn out bleaasdrfajhl, but yours are all like AWSOMESAUCE!

On topic, I'm making God Tier Jade, and while buying fabric, I found a white velvet with a silver star-like glittery pattern. What is everyone's opinion on having it on the underside of the skirt and the inside of the hood. I know it may bunch up if not sewn proper and I've got ways to counteract that :3

edit - just finished these
__________________
Cons planned
Brisbane Supanova '13

Costumes in progress

Ness (Earthbound)
Iwamine Shuu (Hatoful Boyfriend)

Last edited by kAZbear : 09-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
kAZbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #793
Devkyu
Registered User
 
Devkyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 620
To anyone who is considering Calliope or Caliborn (or most of the Felt)... I was in the mall today and as I walked past New York and Company, I noticed they had the perfect shade of green suits. I was in a rush so I didn't have a chance to go in and check how much they were, but they looked like they would be PERFECT.

Also, for the holding cracked model magic horns... Mod Podge. I am serious, I was surprised it held so ridiculously well.
__________________
2015 Conventions
Zenkaikon ~ Tanoshiicon ~ Otakon ~ Saikoucon

Last edited by Devkyu : 09-18-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Devkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #794
qurn
Registered User
 
qurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
I'm looking for Daves that are going to Youmacon, for help with a masquerade skit. My thread can be found here. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...02#post4519702
qurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #795
qurn
Registered User
 
qurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Sorry, double post.

Last edited by qurn : 09-26-2012 at 09:43 PM.
qurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.