Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #886
VriskaSerket8

I'm attending mcm comic con manchester in july and cosplaying Vriska, I'm just wondering if dark grey snazaroo facepaint is too dark. Since I found an old pot of it when clearing out my makeup. I've been told to use light grey but from what i've seen, it doesn't apply very well and you can still see skin pigment underneath the paint.
VriskaSerket8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #887
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VriskaSerket8 View Post
I'm attending mcm comic con manchester in july and cosplaying Vriska, I'm just wondering if dark grey snazaroo facepaint is too dark. Since I found an old pot of it when clearing out my makeup. I've been told to use light grey but from what i've seen, it doesn't apply very well and you can still see skin pigment underneath the paint.
I was about to answer this when I realised wait... this sounds familiar... ahaha personally I'd say again to go with the light grey cause dark grey was too dark when I tried it.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #888
airazeorkiid
One with Duties

Hi, I was wondering for people who have read the updates, do you believe Dave will show up ALOT at conventions anymore? I havent read the updates... im kinda still lagging behind hehe.. but i want to cosplay dave but dont know if i should because there might be alot of daves there.. i want to do what i believe is called "Alpha Dave"
Here is what i mean http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files...1325957832.gif

or should i do a different version or another character?
thanks in advance

Cosplay WIP
Sollux Captor- 50%
Fantroll- 50%
Aradia Megido- 50%
Dave Strider- 90%
airazeorkiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #889
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airazeorkiid View Post
Hi, I was wondering for people who have read the updates, do you believe Dave will show up ALOT at conventions anymore? I havent read the updates... im kinda still lagging behind hehe.. but i want to cosplay dave but dont know if i should because there might be alot of daves there.. i want to do what i believe is called "Alpha Dave"

thanks in advance
Whenever there were Homestuck cosplayers, I alway saw at least one Dave. Usually multiple ones. And the Alpha and God Tier versions seem to be the most common.
Which doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, hell, it even fits canon having multiple Daves.

However, if you want to be individual, it's probably not the best idea.
In progress:
| Yuu Kashima - 80%|
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 50%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #890
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by airazeorkiid View Post

thanks in advance
I only got into Homestuck at the very end of last year (started in September, caught up just before the new year, didn't go to any cons during that time), and at the cons that I've been to since knowing who Dave is, there have been tons of Daves. Those cons have only been since the start of this year, when the comic has been well into Act 6, so no, the updates haven't stopped anyone from cosplaying Dave.

If you are worried about getting lost in a sea of the same character, then do pretty much anyone -but- Dave. If you don't care, then go for Dave. I think that you'd make a cute Dave.

A lot of the time, Dave cosplayers will all make jokes with each other about stable time loops or will take amazing in-character pictures together that make fun of the fact that there are tons of Daves (and that it makes sense in canon), so if you want to have a sense of camaraderie with all your fellow Daves, go as Dave.

Basically, do what you are most comfortable with and who you like the best. If you are more comfortable in a lesser-done cosplay, don't go as Dave (or do an alternate version), but if you are comfortable having a sense of kinship with all your fellow Daves, then go as Dave. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, if you are the type to factor in what other people might do in your cosplay choices (and you seem to be, so it is a valid question).

(You've also been kicking around the idea of Aradia, right? I think you'd be really cute as her, too. )

Good luck with whatever you choose!
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #891
airazeorkiid
One with Duties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musouka_Ningyou View Post
I only got into Homestuck at the very end of last year (started in September, caught up just before the new year, didn't go to any cons during that time), and at the cons that I've been to since knowing who Dave is, there have been tons of Daves. Those cons have only been since the start of this year, when the comic has been well into Act 6, so no, the updates haven't stopped anyone from cosplaying Dave.

If you are worried about getting lost in a sea of the same character, then do pretty much anyone -but- Dave. If you don't care, then go for Dave. I think that you'd make a cute Dave.

A lot of the time, Dave cosplayers will all make jokes with each other about stable time loops or will take amazing in-character pictures together that make fun of the fact that there are tons of Daves (and that it makes sense in canon), so if you want to have a sense of camaraderie with all your fellow Daves, go as Dave.

Basically, do what you are most comfortable with and who you like the best. If you are more comfortable in a lesser-done cosplay, don't go as Dave (or do an alternate version), but if you are comfortable having a sense of kinship with all your fellow Daves, then go as Dave. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, if you are the type to factor in what other people might do in your cosplay choices (and you seem to be, so it is a valid question).

(You've also been kicking around the idea of Aradia, right? I think you'd be really cute as her, too. )

Good luck with whatever you choose!

thank you! and yes i have been thinking about doing aradia, but ive always wanted to crossplay and on the other days im going, ill be female. is there a less common dave i could cosplay? im fine with there being more daves (i like the whole time-loop thing you were talking about) but the whole skinny dave headcanon gets me since im chubby. last year my friends said there werent alot of daves or aradias, so i figured since i like those two the most i could choose one. but ive never cosplayed (unless halloween counts lol) and ive always wanted to meet people and talk to them and rp in character and stuff but ive always been a bit self consious of my looks :/ alpha dave just seemed easier to me because of the outfit not being a suit (im on a bit of a budget) but if there are any lesser-done daves i would love to hear any suggestions!

PS. what did u mean by " if you are the type to factor in what other people might do in your cosplay choices"?

Cosplay WIP
Sollux Captor- 50%
Fantroll- 50%
Aradia Megido- 50%
Dave Strider- 90%
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #892
Musouka_Ningyou

Glad I could help!

If you really want to be original but still cosplay Dave, then either find or design a non-canon outfit that you like. Doing a quick look through google, the version that you want to do seems to be, by far, the most popular for cosplay (probably because you can buy the shirts). I would suggest one of his suits (plus, ladies in suits are <3), but you said that's out.

What is your skill level?
- If you have little to no sewing or prop-making skills, then just go with a basic outfit
- If you have some sewing skills, his dreamer PJs don't look especially tough, and aren't done as often
- If you have some prop skills but few sewing skills, go with his basic outfit but make some sort of really cool prop to set it apart, like the time tables or the Caldescratch (or even a sord, haha...though that takes the opposite of skills, so that's a good option!) Even if you have his most basic outfit but
- If you have good prop skills but few sewing skills, Davesprite's outfit is really basic, but he has those orange wings

If there aren't a lot of Daves at this con, then you'll be popular as one of the few, probably! I don't know where this magical land of no Dave cosplay is, haha.

Don't worry about body type. You'd make a really cute Dave. People who won't like your cosplay because you don't perfectly fit their headcanon aren't worth talking to. Cosplay shouldn't be about that, and you really shouldn't have to worry about things like that. :/

(By the way, when I think of alpha Dave, I think of this...which might be fun to do an interpretation of and cosplay! People don't tend to do the post-scratch guardians, since we don't really spend much time with them, but you can probably find or design a really cool outfit based on that [rather simplistic] picture, and it would be a fairly unique Dave outfit)

All I meant by that is that some people don't care if a character is popular or not before deciding to cosplay them. That's all. Obviously, you are the type to care, which there is nothing wrong with (I factor in popularity in my choices, though in a somewhat roundabout way), so go with whatever makes you most comfortable.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #893
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

And another rare yet simple version is basic with Bro's dumb pointy anime shades, like he had before John gave him his current ones.^-^
In progress:
| Yuu Kashima - 80%|
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 50%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #894
airazeorkiid
One with Duties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musouka_Ningyou View Post
Glad I could help!

If you really want to be original but still cosplay Dave, then either find or design a non-canon outfit that you like. Doing a quick look through google, the version that you want to do seems to be, by far, the most popular for cosplay (probably because you can buy the shirts). I would suggest one of his suits (plus, ladies in suits are <3), but you said that's out.

What is your skill level?
- If you have little to no sewing or prop-making skills, then just go with a basic outfit
- If you have some sewing skills, his dreamer PJs don't look especially tough, and aren't done as often
- If you have some prop skills but few sewing skills, go with his basic outfit but make some sort of really cool prop to set it apart, like the time tables or the Caldescratch (or even a sord, haha...though that takes the opposite of skills, so that's a good option!) Even if you have his most basic outfit but
- If you have good prop skills but few sewing skills, Davesprite's outfit is really basic, but he has those orange wings

If there aren't a lot of Daves at this con, then you'll be popular as one of the few, probably! I don't know where this magical land of no Dave cosplay is, haha.

Don't worry about body type. You'd make a really cute Dave. People who won't like your cosplay because you don't perfectly fit their headcanon aren't worth talking to. Cosplay shouldn't be about that, and you really shouldn't have to worry about things like that. :/

(By the way, when I think of alpha Dave, I think of this...which might be fun to do an interpretation of and cosplay! People don't tend to do the post-scratch guardians, since we don't really spend much time with them, but you can probably find or design a really cool outfit based on that [rather simplistic] picture, and it would be a fairly unique Dave outfit)

All I meant by that is that some people don't care if a character is popular or not before deciding to cosplay them. That's all. Obviously, you are the type to care, which there is nothing wrong with (I factor in popularity in my choices, though in a somewhat roundabout way), so go with whatever makes you most comfortable.
Your so nice :3 Ive noticed just about all Homestucks tend to be really sweet it makes me feel better
i talked to my cousin and he said try factoring in stuff like cost, skills, and what you want, and since its a group cosplay with my friends (theyll be going as terezi and feferi in their normal outfits, before they died) i should do a dave relevant to their style of tz and fef. i have sewing skills, ive been sewing since i was five. i have prop making skills, too, i used to make fake swords and things of that sort when i lived with my cousin, he likes larping.
i was thinking about designing my own costume and making a couple props like a sword (or sord lol), a smuppet, and some apple juice bottles and the like. but i dont want to overdo it with the props but i have a hard time with stuff like this because i for some odd reason like to overdo it. and if i dont overdo it i feel like there is something missing, its weird. oh and my friend matt said i should go as baby dave lol since its probably the least cosplayed haha and then he was like "you know, for ironic purposes" and as a joke fill a bag with empty aj bottles and one full one and look in it, reach around, dump it out, then pick up the full one and be like "there it is." so many ideas, not enough stuff lol but thank you alot i really appriciate your help :3 and i pretty much worry about everything even if i have a cool facade up haha

Cosplay WIP
Sollux Captor- 50%
Fantroll- 50%
Aradia Megido- 50%
Dave Strider- 90%
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #895
airazeorkiid
One with Duties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
And another rare yet simple version is basic with Bro's dumb pointy anime shades, like he had before John gave him his current ones.^-^
haha yea that would be cool too! :3

Cosplay WIP
Sollux Captor- 50%
Fantroll- 50%
Aradia Megido- 50%
Dave Strider- 90%
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #896
CookieGivnGaara

Homestuck In Wisconsin?

I'm currently finishing up my Roxy Lalonde cosplay, and in a week I'm moving back to WI. I was just wondering if any Homestuck fans lived there. I don't have many friends now who like it.
;3;
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #897
SeekerLuna
Chibi Attack

I've been trying to put it off but I guess not. My friends an I finished our beta kids quadrant recently and I was picked as Jade so I've been trying to get her finished or at least started but she has so many outfits! I do not know which one to pick! Also wig, thats being difficult since I don't know what to go with.

But! If anyone has any input on which outfit I could do it would be helpful! trying to get a finished costume for July. I have no sewing experience so it'll have to be quite easy ^^;
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #898
Schweigie
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerLuna View Post
I've been trying to put it off but I guess not. My friends an I finished our beta kids quadrant recently and I was picked as Jade so I've been trying to get her finished or at least started but she has so many outfits! I do not know which one to pick! Also wig, thats being difficult since I don't know what to go with.

But! If anyone has any input on which outfit I could do it would be helpful! trying to get a finished costume for July. I have no sewing experience so it'll have to be quite easy ^^;
Considering the lack of detail in the comics, you can get a wig based more on personal preference. Most just get a straight, long black wig. Luthien or Eowyn from Arda-wigs would work well.

As for easy outfits...
I think her basic starter one is the easiest.

They sell her shirt here so that would just leave the skirt. Which, I mean, how hard could it be to find a white or beige maxi skirt online or at the thrift store even. If you want to, you could even try to sew it since it would be a pretty easy project.

This tutorial would probably help out if you choose to try and make it.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #899
SeekerLuna
Chibi Attack

I've actually settled on the 20in Theia from Epic Cosplay. I'm rather short so anything longer would be way too long on me.

Her shirt I'm going to purchase of course but as for the skirt I'm going to use a skirt I already have. Its not exactly going to be an exact outfit but for now its the best I can do ^^ I barely have that much time to search thrift stores nor do I drive so thats a big problem XD

I have a black ruffled skirt I'm going to wear with either leggings or tights, not sure yet. I just hope it will be okay...
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #900
TechnoxXxDeath

Well I've been rereading Homestuck lately (hah I must be insane to be going that far back xD) anyway, I forgot how much I liked the Wayward Vagabond when he first appears. But while I don't care much what others are gonna think, but would he be liked among other HS cosplayers? Since when I've gone to cons lately, I've really only seen the trolls or Daves, or Johns, etc. I even have the intention of making the pumpkin that he carries his cans in and his little mayor sash that he has.
TechnoxXxDeath is offline   Reply With Quote