Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Unread 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Alania

Need advice on putting together a Mai cosplay

So I've never done cosplay before, and therefore know.. almost nothing about how to make an outfit. But I wanted to try to make the outfit of a character named Mai from Avatar: TLA. At first I considered commissioning someone else to do it (to be honest I'm still considering this, but finding someone seems difficult) so I've been trying to wrap my mind around what I'd need to do to make it myself. It looks pretty simple, but for someone who's never DONE it before obviously I have no idea what I should be doing. XD So .. any suggestions on where I should start? Maybe a website with asian-inspired patterns, or just any advice? Or suggest someone I can commission and feed into my laziness? XD

Here's the outfit:

Alania is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
stolen_valkyrie
Bureau of Bad Behavior

Honestly, I would search cosplay.com for people who have done her before and ask them how they did it, over PM. Most people are very helpful and will push you in the right direction Other than that, I would start looking at similar patterns - that's what I did for Ty Lee, which worked out pretty well!
stolen_valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Alania

I just did a search and (really surprisingly) no results were found.. unless I'm using the search function wrong. I made sure it was set to search for costumes and I simply put 'mai'.
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Alania

I must have done something wrong. I put in 'avatar' and lo and behold there's mai! Thanks for the tip. XD