Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Being... consistent?

I always read here on Cosplay.com about people working out, and then i get stoked. I jump up, go on my exercise bike, work out for an hour. Then i tell myself i'll do crunches every day. I do that for like... 3 days. Then i forget.

Then a month or two later, i find this forum again, and it repeats.

How do you stay focused on this? How do you remember to do crunches every day, or a workout? Should i set an alarm on my phone to yell at me to do it? I just can't stay motivated on this every day.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
char99char
Crazy for costumes

For me - I have to plan for it. I have a time of day set aside for it and aim for 4 days a week. If I can do 5 - that's great. I also keep it to 30 minutes because I know I can do that consistently. I actually get up early enough to do it before I go to work. If there is a day or two I want to sleep in - that's ok because I'll work out the next day. Exercise is great for keeping in shape - but it's also great for reducing stress and sleeping better.

So - I would suggest start small and start with a plan (20 minutes a day three days a week). As you do that consistently - add more. Good luck!
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
I always read here on Cosplay.com about people working out, and then i get stoked. I jump up, go on my exercise bike, work out for an hour. Then i tell myself i'll do crunches every day. I do that for like... 3 days. Then i forget.

Then a month or two later, i find this forum again, and it repeats.
well for one thing, don't try to do crunches every day! XD resistance exercises such as pushups, crunches and lift weights should be an every other day process. Your body needs recovery time. So the days you dont do pushups and cruches, ride that bike of yours for a half an hour. You wont get as bored and you are exercising more properly. When I started, i knew by the end of three months if I kept my routine up, i would look completely different. So i always kept that in mind. from there it just got easier because it became a habbit.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Giant Alucard
DooD, it is Glorious!

I normally do something everyday to keep active, so while I may not remember exactly "what" I have to do, I remember I have to do something hahah. I also have a dry erase board on my door that I check off each day after a workout, and as dorky as it is it helps! Plus i've noticed once you've done something for a couple weeks, you just make a habit of it (plus I would be lethargic if I didnt work out lol).

Spartan - 300
Riddick - Chronicles of Riddick
Rios - Army of Two
Lister - Red Dwarf
Junpei - Megatokyo
Luchadore - Nuff Said
Giant Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
For me - I have to plan for it. I have a time of day set aside for it and aim for 4 days a week. If I can do 5 - that's great. I also keep it to 30 minutes because I know I can do that consistently. I actually get up early enough to do it before I go to work. If there is a day or two I want to sleep in - that's ok because I'll work out the next day. Exercise is great for keeping in shape - but it's also great for reducing stress and sleeping better.

So - I would suggest start small and start with a plan (20 minutes a day three days a week). As you do that consistently - add more. Good luck!
Thats the problem though. I can't keep it consistent. I forget after like... a week or two. That may just be my memory problems (as i do have a TERRIBLE memory. Even right now, i don't remember what i had for dinner last night). But i'll try to do that and see how long it takes til i forget, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinator View Post
well for one thing, don't try to do crunches every day! XD resistance exercises such as pushups, crunches and lift weights should be an every other day process. Your body needs recovery time. So the days you dont do pushups and cruches, ride that bike of yours for a half an hour. You wont get as bored and you are exercising more properly. When I started, i knew by the end of three months if I kept my routine up, i would look completely different. So i always kept that in mind. from there it just got easier because it became a habbit.
Oh, the cheerleaders back in high school told me they did daily crunches to get their body, so i believed them XD;; Guess not. I'll try to do that then. If i remember x___x;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Alucard View Post
I normally do something everyday to keep active, so while I may not remember exactly "what" I have to do, I remember I have to do something hahah. I also have a dry erase board on my door that I check off each day after a workout, and as dorky as it is it helps! Plus i've noticed once you've done something for a couple weeks, you just make a habit of it (plus I would be lethargic if I didnt work out lol).
Like its a habit of me to check my email every morning? haha. Well, i'll try something like that then. Just, silly me, i forget to check that dry erase board. I had one by my door once to remind me for homework, and i'd forget to check the board (lol). So i guess i SHOULD set an alarm on my phone. Since my phone is practically attached to my hip.

I hope i make a habit out of it. That sounds a little promising <3

Unread 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
craiken

Sticky notes. I use my phone and comp a lot. On my phone I put alarms that go off when I was supposed to do some sort of exercise (I only have 2; weight lifting and cardio. I write down what I was supposed to do somewhere else) and I put sticky notes on my desk to remind me what I was supposed to do.

Having posters of the Human Body muscle wise as well as a food pyramid constantly helps.
craiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiken View Post
Sticky notes. I use my phone and comp a lot. On my phone I put alarms that go off when I was supposed to do some sort of exercise (I only have 2; weight lifting and cardio. I write down what I was supposed to do somewhere else) and I put sticky notes on my desk to remind me what I was supposed to do.

Having posters of the Human Body muscle wise as well as a food pyramid constantly helps.
I just set alarms on my phone.

...as i am eating cheetos. *head/desk*

EDIT: They're baked cheetos. So not too bad >_> I'm going to go ride the bike now.

Last edited by Axelai : 08-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Kasinator
Not quite human

Money is also a great incentive. when I bout my first workout DVDs i was like: " i paid wayy too much for these to let them just sit there!" LOL look where it got me!

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Giant Alucard
DooD, it is Glorious!

That is very true! I bout the p90x originally and used the price I paid for it as a incentive to get my butt in gear. You can also make a bet with your friends. Say something like "I have to lose x amount by this date or I owe you (insert bet here)". I have seen this work for alot of people, specially those that dont like to lose hahah. People will normally work harder if they see themselves having something on the line, or at least an attainable goal. Thats another thing, while you may have a huge long term goal, set shorter goals for yourself as well! This why while you'll still be progressing to that huge goal down the line, you can use the smaller goals as markers for progress and motivation.

Spartan - 300
Riddick - Chronicles of Riddick
Rios - Army of Two
Lister - Red Dwarf
Junpei - Megatokyo
Luchadore - Nuff Said
Giant Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
InkyDoo

I keep a planner and usually put down when I'm going to work out and what I'm doing simply changing one day to upper body and then the next day lower. I aim to work out everyday but this doesn't always happens but when I do I put a sticker on it and it makes me feel like I achieved a something for that day (I know this sounds elementary but its nice seeing stickers in my planner). My goal is usually to fill out the week with stickers, it motivates me despite the simplicity of it.

My brother also has me working out during commercials in the evenings like squats or curls instead of snacking in front of the tube.
InkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
sythe2010

It seems like you didn't stick with it long enough to make it a habit That's what happens to me sometimes. I'll go for about three days, and I'll think, I'll keep up with this, but it doesn't happen.

The first couple of weeks you're going to need a lot of motivation to go. I'd write it down. What happened to me after awhile is that it became habit, and I felt weird if I didn't go.
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Sorahana
...That was a joke

I am trying to stick to it now but when I'm too tired from work, I'm like "Too tired today, let me try tomorrow...." yea.
I am using WiiFit and I try to remind myself that WiiFit will "yell" at me (Where have you been?! it says) or when I see that I gained weight, WiiFit says "You've gained *insert amount here* since last time!! What could be causing this?!"

Oh WiiFit...lol. So I keep making a mental note to myself that if I don't keep excercising, I'm going to just keep gaining weight and be even more unhappier then I am with my weight/figure. And that WiiFit will continue acknowledging that stuff XD.

Another thing is high blood pressure/cholesterol run in my family so I need to be exercising to keep that away for longer (or completely would be great). My parents don't exercise, so another reason I know I need to exercise is so I don't have the same issues.

I also think about how flabby my arms looked when I tried to put on the black armbands for Songstress Yuna (horrifying). That mental image reminds me that I need to work my arms and exercise more.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
kmorch 215

This is just my own opinion but I think this goes for the majority. After working out and feeling sore the next day and 'not' being able to see any type of results is a shocker. People will then start to lose focus and become less interested in working out. When I see new faces at the gym, I usually give them a 1-2 week estimate before not seeing them again.

Working out takes a lot of self discipline, and if you are able to push through even the first month, you'll notice changes(whether it's being able to lift heavier weights or lasting longer with your cardio exercises) and that becomes a real confidence booster.

So for my advice, as the Nike slogan goes: Just do it.
Having spare time is rare for some and most people will want to spend it with a little R&R, but if you can muster up the strength to start the exercise, hopefully, you'll get into the 'zone' and complete it.
kmorch 215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
distantarray

I take a pre-workout supplement like white flood, or jack3d. It gives me enough energy that I'm out the door within 15minutes lol. When I'm tingling i'm good to go =)

Tingling is a side effect of beta alanine, feels like sparks igniting all over your body, I love the feeling, beta alanine is proven to be great for the heart nothing bad =)
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
kawaiiXnoXjutsu
speedoftheheron

It helps me work out that I'm on a school sports team, so I have healthy competition and teammates that work out with me.

If you like to work out with other people, maybe try signing yourself up for gym classes. Or I know that they have community meet ups for stuff like mountain bikings. Also, the local parks around my house hold work out camps twice a week for 8 weeks in the evenings. Oh! And collegiate sports are an option to (especially if your in college where they have tons of sports teams)! So, if you can't get motivated, maybe having other people around going through the same workouts as you can help.

MomoCon 2012:
Organization XIII Lolita Roxas: 100%

Seishuin Con 2012:
Organization XIII Roxas: 100%
Leonardo Da Vinci (AC2): 5%
kawaiiXnoXjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote