Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Backstitches
Hajime Su~

First Photoshoot Tips?

So I'm planning on hiring a photographer for the first time for Katsucon 2014 and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things to keep in mind while I'm there?

I'm mainly looking for really anything that might calm my nerves. Maybe some dos or don'ts or things that you wish you knew when you had your first shoot?

Any help would be great! ;A;

Artemis : Young Justice
Backstitches is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
djlemma

Why are you nervous?
You don't have to be perfect in every shot. You WON'T be perfect in every shot, that's why photographers take so many shots.
You don't have to get the best photo ever during this shoot, either. It's not something you should feel pressure about, it should be fun! Hopefully this isn't a situation where you spent more money than you were comfortable with.. But even if it is, the photographer is your employee. It's his or her job to take the best pictures they can, so take their direction if they give it, and if not just be as energetic and playful as possible!
djlemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
SA2R
King of the Skies

Having fun is always my number 1 important thing^^
I sometimes like to draw out ideas on paper, to give my photographer an idea of what I want in the shoot. I also like to think of the character's theme song/songs you find relate to the character in my head, while posing X3 I think the photos come out better.
Also~ relax, get all you giggles out beforehand, and if you need a moment~ tell the photographer. They will understand. You will find out soon enough, that it is hard to stare at someone straight on, and want to start giggling like mad (this is the case for me anyways^^;; ) or you just have the urge to look away completely. Just relax.

Good luck on your first photoshoot :3!

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Djlemma- I think she might be like myself when I did mine, and for me I was nervous due to not knowing who the photographer is. I went in and asked for the shoot without knowing what their personality was like, or if they would be the kind of photographer who didn't really socialize much with their model. They might take great pictures during it, but having someone not talking to you much/concentrating on taking the shot for a beginner is a little intimidating. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as I thought and they were extremely helpful and fun to talk to.

Now, for tips!
Before for the shoot:
*Study your character very carefully and figure out what poses would suit the character. But don't just practice the day before the shoot, practice in advance to make sure you can handle the pose so you don't walk up to the photographer with a pose you can't even keep for 2 seconds. Also, It'd be wise to make sure your photographer can do the pose beforehand like certain action shots which require fast shutter speeds. Not going to be good if the photographer has a camera like my Nikon which likes to take pictures 2-3 seconds after I press the trigger.

*If possible, see if you can talk a little with your photographer about location/any ideas you may have. I know you can do it sometimes at the location, but some photographers will have a busy schedule and it takes time away the amount you paid.

*Have more than one pose for the camera. Especially if this is say an hour long shoot.

For my tips in general for the shoot:
*Don't be intimidated by the Photographer. I had that problem as well, but once I got to meet them at the location I found that it wasn't that bad. I say we even experienced an hilarious time as bystanders kept reacting in some way or form to my cosplay. But remember that communication is a good thing to have during a shoot, why? So they can help make it the best picture for you, as well as so they know they're making you uncomfortable.

*Arrive at the shoot early by 5-10 minutes. And please, if you can't make it contact your photographer beforehand so they know you aren't coming and don't end up waiting 30+ for you to show up.

For now, that's all I can think of...but there are more, just can't think of it right now. But here was my first photo-shoot: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.628077767203593.1073741849.585254554819248& type=3

On another note, once you're done thank the photographer and they should tell you where to find the pictures/give an estimate of when it'll be finished. Also, remember that once you do the shoot your photographer owns the rights to your pictures. Sometimes they'll hand them over to you, but it depends on the kind of contract they sign with you. So before the shoot I'd ask if you're allowed to post them online, or use them in any way.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWonderusMary View Post
Djlemma- I think she might be like myself when I did mine, and for me I was nervous due to not knowing who the photographer is. I went in and asked for the shoot without knowing what their personality was like, or if they would be the kind of photographer who didn't really socialize much with their model. They might take great pictures during it, but having someone not talking to you much/concentrating on taking the shot for a beginner is a little intimidating. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as I thought and they were extremely helpful and fun to talk to.
That what I guessed- I've never actually hired a photographer before, but I've hired models, and been super stressed about it. My problem was always putting too much pressure on myself to do everything PERFECT and not make any mistakes, and also being too shy about trying to get what I want. Both things are silly, but still they hang me up all the time.

I figure the first couple times you do.. pretty much anything.. there are going to be some hits and some big misses, but you learn from it.

Also your other advice was really good and I am going to think about that stuff next time I'm posing for a picture or trying to have somebody else pose for me.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Backstitches
Hajime Su~

Thank you guys for your help!

And yeah, the main thing that was making me a little nervous about the whole situation is because I have no idea what to expect since the only photos that have been taken of me were hall shots.

But I'll keep everything you guys said in mind. After all, photographers are just as nerdy as I am so it should be too bad!

Thanks again! c:

Artemis : Young Justice
Backstitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
That what I guessed- I've never actually hired a photographer before, but I've hired models, and been super stressed about it. My problem was always putting too much pressure on myself to do everything PERFECT and not make any mistakes, and also being too shy about trying to get what I want. Both things are silly, but still they hang me up all the time.

I figure the first couple times you do.. pretty much anything.. there are going to be some hits and some big misses, but you learn from it.

Also your other advice was really good and I am going to think about that stuff next time I'm posing for a picture or trying to have somebody else pose for me.
I feel like lately photographers have had to face this problem more often- namely when modeling a "well-known" cosplayer. You know they want the best shots, and so you only don't want to disappoint them. But Photographers do make mistakes but we try our best to get the perfect shot. Even if we have to take hundreds of shots. Though only a small percentage of those will even be used. Also, as a amateur Photographer I'll say I'm shy about that like you, but if you think you know what a great shot would be then you take the chance to ask your model to pose in it, and help them get into the pose if they don't understand (as long as they're comfortable with someone touching them).

On that note, I'm glad this will be helpful to you in the future and if you ever need any help? Feel free to go to the Photography thread and ask one of the more experienced photographers there. http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstitches View Post
Thank you guys for your help!

And yeah, the main thing that was making me a little nervous about the whole situation is because I have no idea what to expect since the only photos that have been taken of me were hall shots.

But I'll keep everything you guys said in mind. After all, photographers are just as nerdy as I am so it should be too bad!

Thanks again! c:
Oh, trust me. Photographers can be very, very nerdy. And if they're like mine was, if you get to asking them anything about cameras they might show you. Our walk to the photo-shoot location was more me and her talking about the pricing of each camera, and questioning which was their first camera. They can get into the mood as easily as a cosplay if you know what to ask.

Also no problem! Only here to help people as best as I can, and hope your photo-shoot goes well!
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote