Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
talkenia
Random person #3

where do you start?

I've seen all these awesome steampunk outfits,
and now i wonder, how do you make them, i mean the idea's for outfits..
cause with cosplay it is easy, you see you make,
but to my idea steampunk is not based on one image..

Currently in progress
-lady -DMC 3
-remake of edwards automail -FMA
-Alphonse Elric's full armour -FMA
talkenia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
AT Pro Ikaku
Air tech god

Would Steampunk be anything like cyberpunk? Ive never heard of it. sorry a tad off topic and curious Google was no help 0.o
AT Pro Ikaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
CyberxDae
It's in the water, Baby.

Steam punk is basically past, Around 1800's. Cyberpunk is much into the future.

Steam- Leathers, mad scientists, goggles, arm bands, gun holsters.

Try www.steampunkcouture.com
Cyber- Goggles, PVC, Neon green/pink, bio hazard signs, industrial music.
Try www.cryoflesh.com

@Talkenia, I would start by drawing out or just writing out a character bio, If you look in the steampunk section I have my latest char bio out... That's the outfit I'm working on. Oh and if you guys want any more sites/info I'm really wise on both fashions.<33
CyberxDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkenia View Post
I've seen all these awesome steampunk outfits,
and now i wonder, how do you make them, i mean the idea's for outfits..
cause with cosplay it is easy, you see you make,
but to my idea steampunk is not based on one image..
I've designed a number of costumes, but so far I've only made one. I've got a few more in the works, but here's what I do when I start to design. I think of, first, the person who will be wearing it and what they will be comfortable in. Next, I think of what kind of character they would be. That dictates a lot, such as style of clothing, fabrics used, and accessories. After that, I do like to reference clothing of the Victorian and Edwardian periods to get a good basis since that's the time frame most steampunks put themselves (well, it's just about the only times^^). Once I've done all that, I add my own design twists because, while steampunk is based on Victorian and Edwardian ideas and fashion and the like, it is a fictional genre, and is open to interpretation.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
~Haku~
Humanoid

Write your character first. Maybe start with occupation, then move to personality. This will determine your character's income (to help determine how lavishly you can dress, and what sort of garments would be practical for your occupation,) and what sort of styles your persona would be comfortable wearing.

(i.e. You are the wife of a wealthy aristocrat, not needing a job as your husband earns more than enough for you both. You are a creative mind, though, and thusly like to tinker with things. You would certainly not like to be seen wearing a simple wench's dress, and generic colors for clothing would not likely appease your creative mind. You would be more likely to dress boldly and extravagantly in bright colors and experimental designs. Your tinkering hobby may lead you to elegant timepieces to compliment yours or your friends outfits.)

Planned cosplays:
Tengu (Japanese Mythology)
Dark Link (Zelda)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Lenore & Mr. Gosh (Lenore: The Cute Little Dead Girl)
Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur II)
Issun (Okami)
Wonder Chef (Tales of Sumphonia)
Tezzeret the Seeker (Magic: The Gathering)
Kaito (Vocaloid)
~Haku~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Skeff

Here is what I did for my costume.

I had played with the idea for a stempunk costume for a while but didn’t know where to start, so I just started hitting up thrift stores to see if I could find some inexpensive clothing to wear or modify. That’s when I found the rifle stock I used for my gun, and decided to make a shotgun out of it.

I had a basic image in my mind originally for a western type of steampunk gunslinger type look. But after going to a few more thrift stores, I was only able to find some older mid 40-50s looking clothing, plus I had the hat and boots from a long time ago anyway. So based on that, I decided to change it up to a middle class victorian look.

I would highly suggest trying some thrift stores before really starting anything, you may be able to get some ideas or actually find something you would want to use. This would save you some serious money if you really want to pursue it, some of the steampunk online stores will charge an arm and a leg for something you may be able to find on your own.

I am a tinkerer and a pack rat by nature, so I had a lot of junk lying around to play with. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on things, also look for some older clocks and non-working machinery for pieces, parts or gears.

"Your mechanical minions have been defeated! Now its just you, me, me, me and meeeee!"

Table Tops, Drinking and Stuff
http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/
Skeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
SorcererSupreme
Man of Mystery

If you can't think of an original character, you could always do a Steampunk version of another character.

I saw a wonderful Steampunk Sailor Moon while I was at Otakon this year.
SorcererSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
GlassCannon

Personally, I started by first gathering pictures of steampunk outfits that I liked. I just went on Flickr and the like and searched for "steampunk" and saved any pictures that struck me as especially cool or something I would like to emulate. That left me with a big folder full of pictures of things I liked, and from there I started sketching -- I liked corsets like this, boots like that, skirts like this one, goggles that look like that, etc.

One of the great things about steampunk is that it is more fashion than cosplay, and totally original to each person. So rather than think about the one outfit you want to have, start thinking about pieces you could combine in interesting ways. Some things can be big-ticket items, expensive and/or difficult to build or expensive to buy -- a properly fitted corset, goggles that don't look like everyone else's, exceptionally cool boots, etc -- while other pieces like hats, pants, shirts, belts, etc are easier/cheaper to find/make.

So for me, I focused on the big ticket items first and then started building multiple outfits around those. I'm still building up my collection, but I now have two cool pairs of boots, an almost-finished corset, and a unique pair of goggles that I can wear with all sorts of outfits -- long skirts, short skirts, pants, different shirts, etc -- for all sorts of different looks. I have plans for everything from burlesque to test pilot to Tinkerbell, all using the same corset/boots/goggles and different accessories.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Reatrea
Little 'ol Me

Goodwill is your friend! <3
===============][===========================
"Rejoice in thy master's punishment for it is deserved and improves thee."- Warhammer 40k
"My patience is not unlimited... unlike my authority." -Inquisitor Eisenhorn
Reatrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Ironhill

At the Steampunk World's Fair in May ther was a panel on making a Steampunk persona. Start with who you are, where you come from (social class), and what you do (profession). Then think of what items you would use.

For example I am making a Turkish Ambassidor. He will be a minor noble, from the upper class, and a diplomat. He will wear traditional robe over a gentlemans suit, carry his offical seal and stamp, a fountain pan, and documents. I was thinking of travel papers he could sign and stamp and give to people. He would also have a loyalty helmit that shows he is a trusted member of the government. If he is not loyal, the government could activate it and fry his brain.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Ironhill, that is an awesome outfit idea. I love it, especially the loyalty helmet! If that sort of tech existed, you'd better believe that diplomats worldwide would have 'em clamped on. I hope you'll post pictures.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote