Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Yukimashi

Exclamation Ears?

For a new cosplay, i'm planning to be an Eevee from Pokemon for the upcomming Anime Crossroads Con.

I'm struggling with money right now so if anyone knows of a good way to make ears thats cheap or at least affordable, i would like to hear it.

I was planning on using pipe cleaners or some wire rod armature to bend the ears into the diamond shape then covering them in a brown, fuzzy fabric. Would this work? I've never made ears before.

Please and thank you
Yukimashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
iSenpai

pipe cleaners and thin wire would not work as they bend easily and it would quickly lose shape if hit, and would probably buckle under the weight of fabric.
In the past I've found for large ears bending wire hangers or using those craft wooden sticks (not popsicle sticks) for the ears work, but they must be very well secured to the base its on in order to keep them from flopping around and hitting people at a convention.
I'd suggest bending the wire haner or attaching the wooden stick down about halfway length wise onto a what your using to keep them on your head.
iSenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Yukimashi

Thank you
Yukimashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
DarkChaos
SCAD Sequential Student

It's kind of late, but I made ears for a Ritsuka cosplay and the shape was made out of the plastic cross stitching stuff as it holds well, is very sturdy, and can bend and hold shape (using just a pit of elbow grease during the massive gluing) very well. I made them several years ago and they still look good in my opinion.

Ohnah the Shadow (original character) (60% complete) (Progress currently on hold)

Up-Coming Con(s):

AWA: Might be attending.
DarkChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
firecloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChaos View Post
It's kind of late, but I made ears for a Ritsuka cosplay and the shape was made out of the plastic cross stitching stuff as it holds well, is very sturdy, and can bend and hold shape (using just a pit of elbow grease during the massive gluing) very well. I made them several years ago and they still look good in my opinion.
What kind of plastic cross stitching stuff are you talking about?
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
xSYN
syn haedas.

i use floral wire to shape all my pokemon ears (and tails if needed: espeon and pikachu tails have floral wire skeletons). they hold up fantastically under the weight of fur fabric (and in the case of my ears, constantly running into doorframes, walls, and people........ oTZ), but my pikachu tail needed some extra support due to the sheer size of the bloody thing lmfao-- about 75cm tall and around 50cm in width. you can see it starting to sag in my avatar D: i, unfortunately, have no idea what gauge the wire is as when i first started i could only find wire in this gauge so i never bothered to take notice. i've also thrown away the label of the wire i used for my latest pokemon cosplay oTZ

i do have some 20 gauge floral wire on hand though. they're not as thick as the ones i normally use but they're decent enough for the next set of ears i'm making. i'd suggest something slightly thicker for eevee. (:

Last edited by xSYN : 09-28-2010 at 10:03 AM.
xSYN is offline   Reply With Quote