Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Yukimashi

Does Dancing work?

I looked through most of the posts on the first page of this topic and i saw all the weight lifting threads and a couple of dancing ones but does Dancing work as well as weightlifting/cardio ?

Since i'm an anime freak i would love to learn the anime dances that seem to be everywhere so that's something that would be easy to dedicate myself to. I play DDR every now and again but never really stick to it.

I'd like to loose about 20 pounds at least in 4 months. The only thing i drink is water and i have a healthy diet, its just that i never excersise.

Would dancing as in the Love&Joy dance and the Dango get me to my goal?
Yukimashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukimashi View Post
I looked through most of the posts on the first page of this topic and i saw all the weight lifting threads and a couple of dancing ones but does Dancing work as well as weightlifting/cardio ?

Since i'm an anime freak i would love to learn the anime dances that seem to be everywhere so that's something that would be easy to dedicate myself to. I play DDR every now and again but never really stick to it.

I'd like to loose about 20 pounds at least in 4 months. The only thing i drink is water and i have a healthy diet, its just that i never excersise.

Would dancing as in the Love&Joy dance and the Dango get me to my goal?
ANYTHING that gets your heart rate up will help you lose weight and build muscle. No matter what you do is better than sitting on your butt eating bon bons and watching a movie. About 20 pounds in 4months is a pretty hard goal, should be about 1-2 pounds a week healthy, but at first couple weeks pounds comes off easier cause you'll lose water weight not fat or muscle.

If you have INTENSITY in your workouts it should be possible, but you also need WILL POWER and MOTIVATION out of the gym or workouts as well with your diet. Losing weight PROPERLY and staying healthy requires you to do everything correctly. Too many people just lose "weight" and don't realize they're often sacrificing muscle and fat at the same time pushing themselves too hard without eating enough.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
heyyitsmags

It can help you cut down on weight, especially if you continue to eat a healthy diet (which you seem to have). You simply need the motivation and the time. Though I think 20 pounds is a bit much to loose in 2 months, I suppose it could be possible. Not with dance alone though, you might need to go to the gym or find another type of workout. Simply get your heart rate up through some cardio and you'll start loosing the weight.

AND! It's always easier when you enjoy what you're doing! Go out and have fun; don't worry about how much weight you loose each time. Then it will get more like a job then a fun chance to get slimmer.
heyyitsmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
kawaiiXnoXjutsu
speedoftheheron

Anything you do actively will help. But, like the people above said, weights and cardio are important too.

I read once in my P.E. text book that trainers recommend that people who are trying to lose weight build muscle mass, because even when your not exercising, if you have alot of muscles mass, you burn more calories daily (don't ask me why. that's just what the book said).

Also, find something you enjoy doing. Personally, I love running Cross Country and racing people. For my aunt, it's kick boxing and cardio classes at the gym twice a week. My grandmother likes to walk long distances (like 7-12 miles) to work out and also lifts weights. Other things that people I know enjoy include Mountain Biking, Tennis, Volleyball, Swimming, the Stair-Master machine, etc.The list goes on and on.

And whatever you chose to do, set goals. I know it sounds corny, but I love it when I reach my goals for running. That being said, make your goals reasonable and don't expect yourself to go out the first time you do something and blow your goals out of the water. Things take time. My first cross country practice I could only run a quarter of a mile before I had to stop, but now I can run 7 miles without stopping (although it took practice and dedication).

Calorie consumption is also important! If you want to lose weight, you should consume less calories that you eat. Speaking of consumption, working out will raise your metabolism and help you burn calories faster. ( <--wow that was random, but just wanted to let you know ) Just don't be like me and eat mammoth amounts of food after work outs, because then it ends up balancing out the metabolism you worked so hard to raise.

I know I'm starting to ramble here, and I'm going to try and wrap things up, but the last 2 things I want to remind you about are these:

1.) Don't go crazy on your workouts the first week, get discouraged or make yourself so sore you can't move, and the give up! I can not tell you how many people hate exercise because they always do this to themselves. Take baby steps and feel proud about even the smallest improvements. Remind yourself of your goal often, and never let yourself be intimidated out of a work out.

2.) Realize your work out style. Do you like to work out in the morning, afternoons, with other people, or by yourself? Everyone is different.

Sorry this turned into a three page lecture. >.< I hope you could understand all of what I was saying!

Happy exercise!

MomoCon 2012:
Organization XIII Lolita Roxas: 100%

Seishuin Con 2012:
Organization XIII Roxas: 100%
Leonardo Da Vinci (AC2): 5%

Last edited by kawaiiXnoXjutsu : 08-09-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typos >.<
kawaiiXnoXjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Yukimashi

Thank you everyone

.:Cosplay.:
Horo (spice and wolf) : retired

Eevee (Pokemon) : 100% -- Complete
Orihime (Bleach; Pink shirt, gray pants) -- Complete
Haku Yowane (Vocaloid)--Complete
Erika Karisawa (Durarara) -- Complete
Undertaker--Complete(Kuroshitsuji)

.:Future Cosplay:.

Amaterasu (Okami) -- 60%
Mitsuru (Persona 3) -- 0%
Mikuru Asahina (TMOHS) -- 0%
Inubashiri Momij(Touhou) -- 0%

.:Upcomming Cons:.
Anime World 2012
Anime Crossroads 2012
Yukimashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
distantarray

Just thought about if, Capoeira if you take this you will probably lose 20 pounds in 2 months with right nutrition. Capoeira is mixed with martial arts, dancing, music, singing, and breakdance basically
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
sythe2010

Dancing if done with intensity will help you lose weight for sure, but unless you lift weights you run the risk of becoming skinny fat (skinny but with no muscle tone).
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
DukeLawliet

Dancing is GREAT cardio if you do it with passion!
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I started doing Argentine Tango and although it's a very fun class, it's not that strenuous. So I don't know if that particular form of dancing would help.

I am going to start taking Cha Cha and West Coast Swing, which looks way more energetic then the Tango, so I think it also depends on what type of dance you'll be doing.

But as others have said, any excuse to get moving helps.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
ShiroChaan
no skillz

I lost a lot of size learning how to do various anime dances and I think it's obvious here:

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/DSC_0169.jpg

September versus...

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20..._by_GIN180.jpg

March! It's not a ton, but I -felt- much better. I had much more confidence because I didn't feel like I was -so- flabby.
ShiroChaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
nachan

I can't really vouch for the weight-loss benefits of dancing, but I know dancing is my favorite way to work out! And like previous posters said, it gets your heart-rate up which is the most important part.

In addition to doing dances that already exist for anime songs, you could also try choreographing your own! I took a Zumba class in college, and it was really fun and easy, just all about repeating different moves to fit the music. And once you learn a whole routine it's really fun to practice. Here is a link to some Zumba moves on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/user/CocoFitness
nachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
Nozze

Just to echo what others have said, anything that gets your heart up for a extended period of time will help you lose weight. HOWEVER, and I emphasize this greatly - weight lifting (specifically circuit lifting) by itself is the absolute best way to burn fat and build muscle at the same time.

With anyone that is trying to lose weight by just cardio alone, I very strongly suggest adding strength training to your workout routine. If you don't, you lose precious muscle mass which you don't want to do.
Femshep N7 Armor ◈ Mass Effect 2

Conventions
GenCon '11 ◈ Aug 4-7
BlizzCon '11 ◈ Oct 21-22

Dream Costumes
Elspeth Tirel ◈ Magic: The Gathering

@quorrra
Nozze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
onewingedjade
Escaping Reality

DDR is intense. It works... but it's best not done daily. I did that for awhile and I guess all the jumping around caused me to injure the shock absorber thing at the end of my spine. o.O But I did it like a ridiculous amount.

Dancing, unless you're taking a class or something, is hard to keep up. Like cons with good DJs at the rave I'll end up dancing for 4 hours straight, but at home in my bedroom I get bored and go sit on the couch or something. And I don't like to do the club thing regularly. xD Just my two cents.

2014 Cosplays: Chun Li - SF, Chell - Portal, Felicia - Darkstalkers
onewingedjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
FrecklesxLace
Rebirth of an Old Soul

As a dancer myself I can say dancing is FANTASTIC exercise. I love taking dance classes when I can fit them in. Plus in the right environment it can be fantastically fun! I used to do show choir so I had to learn how to sing while dancing. I highly suggest running/singing dancing/singing, you relearn how to breath. Do something simple like happy birthday, it also gives you something to concentrate on besides your moves or running.

-Freckles

Have Questions? Wanna Chat? Looking For Friends? Love My Work?

SEND ME A PM!

I love PM's =D
FrecklesxLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
JETG!RL
Femme Fatale

You can burn tons of calories when you dance! I've taken bellydancing and ballet and they've really made a difference in my fitness and activity. Keep in mind that you should pursue a type of dance that you will enjoy. And if you find that the one you decide on isn't really for you, there are plenty of other options available for you to switch over to. If you enjoy what you're doing, then it just makes cutting weight and toning the body so much easier!

Let me also note that if you're going to do any exercise, it's better to do it in the morning. When you wake up, your body is cooler than it is in the day after a rest period, so it'll take longer for your body to warm up. Therefore, you can engage yourself in a longer workout routine. Plus, it wakes you up! Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Others prefer exercising in the afternoon, evening, after work--whatever.

Good luck!
Selphie Tilmitt - 30%
JETG!RL is offline   Reply With Quote