Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
distantarray

working out / losing weight / proper nutrition

This is based around people who WORKOUT and plan on controlling their NUTRITION at the same time. If you don't intend to workout just stay on a south beach diet or weight watchers you should be ok. However people never seem to get their information right when they want to workout and lose weight.

1. Thou shall EAT whenever hungry

When your body is hungry it's telling you something, SO EAT, just make sure your trying to stay away from junk. It's hard to distinguish junk from the good stuff initially, so a book called "EAT THIS NOT THAT" is highly recommended should be about $9 at your local bookstore. It'll show you what you can eat from most major restaurants in the United States.

2. Thou shall NOT take appitite suppressants.

You should be eating more frequently in smaller portions, to the point where your no longer hungry, but not the the point where your too full. Imagine a train, if you keep pushing fuel into the engine it'll burn hot and speed up the ride. If you don't eat at all you'll stop moving all together, and if you fill it up too much you can extinguish the fire. Make sure your engines are revved up hot at all times and you'll feel better, and your metabolism will stay in gear. (all you can eat buffets are baddddd)

3. Thou shall drink a lot of water

No replacement for water, and drinking it super cold will also speed up your metabolism so you will burn more calories, since your body will burn calories to fuel your body heat to rise back to normal. Also drinking a lot of water will help you stay properly hydrated. People should aim for atleast 1 gallon a day, on a workout day at least 1.5 gallons.

4. Thou shall eat enough protein

Protein and water is basic building blocks for muscle, and the body does NOT store protein in any form other than muscle. If protein is not used around the time of absorption you will only end up storing it as excess calories. 1 gram of protein = 4 calories. Your body needs a steady flow of protein to lose weight properly so it doesn't break down muscle tissue in your body to rebuild what you've just worked out. Imagine a train if you run out of fuel, the only way to reach your destination is to take apart the train itself and use it as fuel.

5. Thou shall adjust calories to an intake

Women are generally not as dramatic as men when it comes to calories (less difference) but when a man is inactive they're generally recommended around 2,000 calories a day, after a vigorous workout it's actually recommended from 700-1000 extra calories on training days to stay healthy. I wish Andy Lee was here to give us a right figure, but I believe she said it was around 300 for a woman. So basically your weight watchers diet goes out the window as soon as you factor in a proper workout.

6. THOU SHALL STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER A WORKOUT.

This is a highly important thing that people often forget to do, remember that your working out for your HEALTH, if you create an injury while working out, that's going to be a HUGE detour in your plans. Make sure you set yourself up correctly, and remember to workout your rotator cuffs as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZP1u7r4vj4&NR=1

Here is a video to show you what a rotator cuff surgery would look like, and also shows you the muscles itself. This isn't to scare you but to emphesize how small the muscle actually is, and that it's a STABILIZER muscle, so remember this is NOT a muscle to use a ton of weights on, if you want to boost your ego, save it for the bench press and squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_w3fHFhAuo

This is an example of a rotator cuff exercise, you can do this with dumbbells as well while laying on your side, but remember DO NOT EXCEED 5-8 pounds or you might actually help INDUCE an inury on yourself.

7. Thou shall eat fiber

Fiber helps regulates your insulin spikes, which is a huge reason in gaining weight. Like that chocolate cake will get you a huge spike, fiber helps equalize your insulin intake allowing you to help control your sugar intake. Stick to whole wheat breads to your sandwiches, and multi-grain breads are generally a waste of time. Look on the label for atleast 2g of fiber per slice. If it has that the multi-grain bread is ok. Also try to look for one with NO high fructose corn syrup. Try Arnold bread if you can find it.

8. Thou shall NOT avoid fats

Only reason why fats are generally a taboo is because fats contains about 9 grams of protein per gram of fat. Protein has 4, and carb has 4. NOT ALL FATS are created equal.

Trans fat is scientifically engineered fat caused by processed oils, and saturated fats just because it says NO TRANS FAT remember to watch out for saturated fats.

Mono and Poly fats are cholesterol lowering fats which are good for the body. Omega 3 fatty oils are great.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
SamuriSmurfX
No distractions.

I always find something to disagree with you with =P

This one would be six. DO NOT stretch before workout, it actually weakens you and lowers your lift. After workout, go for it. But pre workout I suggest you do a shock-lift (One set of 4-6 reps for whatever your doing), a body circuit, or light leg stretches.

There are things that don't go smoothly but sometimes, you come to see things because they don't go smoothly
--Yukino Miyazawa
SamuriSmurfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriSmurfX View Post

This one would be six. DO NOT stretch before workout, it actually weakens you and lowers your lift. After workout, go for it. But pre workout I suggest you do a shock-lift (One set of 4-6 reps for whatever your doing), a body circuit, or light leg stretches.
I used to only stretch after lifting but then it started to strain my rotator cuff XD but whatever works just stretch!
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriSmurfX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
I used to only stretch after lifting but then it started to strain my rotator cuff XD but whatever works just stretch!
Just on this debate here. I do not recommend stretching. but I do recommend warming up when it comes to heavy lifting. I bike to my gym ant that becomes my initial warmup followed by light lifting the first few sets. I got this advice from one of mike mentzers workout vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMOG...eature=related

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
River.
twing twang

I have to agree that I do not recommend stretching before heavy lifting. Warmup yes, leave the stretching post-workout.

Next Cons:
AUSA - (maybe)
Ohayocon
Katsucon
River. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
distantarray

it's kinda funny that's the only thing people are commenting on, but regardless I still recommend it, and I don't care what Mike Mentzer says =P I know he's one of my heroes and got Kas into him too but seriously doing a super light warm up set is the same as stretching imo =p. Sure power might go down a little when your lifting heavy but honestly how heavy do you really need to lift? You might lose 5-10 pounds on a maximum bench press but the added sense of mind is worth so much more.

Instead I prefer to do hiit training than maxing out on weights. It's been proven time after time deprivation of oxygen to the muscles help stimulate faster muscle development. In Japan there has even been studies where guys were made to workout with torrents on their arms to restrict blood flow to their arms. The result? about 13% more improvement on muscle development. The downside is if you restrict the bands too tight you have the potential threat of having to amputate the limb eek....

High intensity interval training accompanied by drop setting is my ideal workout (thanks Mike Mentzer =p) Mike used to workout only 1 set on each muscle group to complete failure to achieve his Mr. Universe perfect score (only one to do so, and 2times at that)

High intensity interval training is no to little rest between sets, basically more you go from one workout to the next as long as your using the same muscle group should be depriving and restricting bloodflow naturally without having the fear of over doing it. Hidetada Yamagishi the biggest Asian bodybuilder uses this method. He'll pick 5 exercises at a time and just go from one to the next without stop.