Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photoshoot Scheduling

Unread 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Looking for a photographer - Metro Detroit

I want to submit a photo for the Youmacon calendar contest. I'm looking for a photographer to take a few shots to submit. I want to be in the calendar - the photographer can have the free pass prize. PM me to discuss further.

I am not interested in signing a model release. I understand that can be a deal breaker.

Thanks!
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
K-Man
Smile! Clickety Click!

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
I want to submit a photo for the Youmacon calendar contest. I'm looking for a photographer to take a few shots to submit. I want to be in the calendar - the photographer can have the free pass prize. PM me to discuss further.

I am not interested in signing a model release. I understand that can be a deal breaker.

Thanks!
You'll probably only find amateur or hobbyist photographers who will be interested in this offer since most "pro" photographers or people who make a living off of selling their pictures won't agree to this without having you sign a release form. Even then, amateur photographers should consider having a release form signed from models in the event they ever want to use the photos for portfolio or website purposes should they choose to start a business and want to showcase some of their work.

Having the release form, irregardless of any verbal agreements, is the photographers only legal way to prove you said it's ok for them to use the pictures they've taken of you for commercial purposes. Most release forms are fairly straight foward and should clearly state what the photographer is entitled to use the pictures for. If you're worried about them being used for "inappropriate" or "adult" oriented websites, have the photographer include in the form a line/paragraph that ensures that the pictures will never be used in any sexual or degrading manner to the model. (though alot of photographers will already have something to this effect written in their release forms anyways...But check because some don't!)

If you want really high quality photos, chances are you'll have to find a photographer who probably uses model release forms but hopefully you'll be able to find someone who is willing to forgo this and who is good enough to get some pictures of you that are acceptable for what you want to use them for. Good luck! :-)
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
Having the release form, irregardless of any verbal agreements, is the photographers only legal way to prove you said it's ok for them to use the pictures they've taken of you for commercial purposes.
Thanks for the explanation - I appreciate you taking the time. I do not want the photos used for commercial purposes (other than the calendar contest itself) - hence, not wanting to sign a release. I feel just as strongly that the subject of the photo - my costume - is my work that I don't want others making money off of. I am well aware it limits what response I'll get.

I had found a photo of myself online that I wanted a higher resolution copy of. I contacted the photographer and he asked me to sign a release for it. I didn't sign - and I didn't get the photo.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
K-Man
Smile! Clickety Click!

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
Thanks for the explanation - I appreciate you taking the time. I do not want the photos used for commercial purposes (other than the calendar contest itself) - hence, not wanting to sign a release. I feel just as strongly that the subject of the photo - my costume - is my work that I don't want others making money off of. I am well aware it limits what response I'll get.

I had found a photo of myself online that I wanted a higher resolution copy of. I contacted the photographer and he asked me to sign a release for it. I didn't sign - and I didn't get the photo.
Yea, that stinks...It's surprising considering alot of the cosplay photographers are usually more than willing to accomodate you on those requests as long as photo creds are given to them by you. Unfortunately, with the more "pro" photographers, you'll probably end up with a response similiar to that. :-( But hopefully someone on here who is in your area and who is familiar with cosplay photography (and is a decent photographer to boot) will be willing to help you out for free. Can't hurt to try right?

If you lived closer to Toronto, I would have been more than happy to take pictures for you (If not me, I have other cosplay photographer friends who would have been more than willing to help as well time permitting for free.) I do this more as a hobby (cosplay photography) than anything else. My son and my wife cosplay so I use it as an excuse to tag along and take photos of some of the amazing cosplays I see at Cons!

Good luck with your search!
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote