Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Epiphanous

Tummy Pooch D:<

Ok, this is super embarrassing for me even though I know it shouldn't be, but I think the question is pretty straight forward:

How do I get rid of this stupid thing? >_<

Both my grandmother and my mom had/have 'pooches' that turned into pot-belly-type things, so part of it is probably genetic, but even when I was working out like a fiend (I was in training to become a martial arts instructor) it didn't completely go away.

Not trying to look like a ho-bag, but here are a couple of pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0075edit-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...20me/005-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give me

Unread 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphanous View Post
Ok, this is super embarrassing for me even though I know it shouldn't be, but I think the question is pretty straight forward:

How do I get rid of this stupid thing? >_<

Both my grandmother and my mom had/have 'pooches' that turned into pot-belly-type things, so part of it is probably genetic, but even when I was working out like a fiend (I was in training to become a martial arts instructor) it didn't completely go away.

Not trying to look like a ho-bag, but here are a couple of pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0075edit-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...20me/005-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give me
first correct nutrition and working out is best, I say nutrition cause people think diet = eat less which IS NOT THE SAMETHING. Nutrition isn't starving yourself, keep eating so your not hungry but not til your full. 6 meals a day is fine, even if it's shake inbetween (protein not slim fast, ensures etc)

Also working out a little all over doesn't hurt. Lifting heavy weights don't hurt either. Let me how you a person who workouts with heavy weights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjHyLQcGxw - Jamie Eason is a fitness model, and she worksout HARD with heavy weights. Just to show you that lifting weights won't make a woman huge =)

Basically the skin is 1 organ of the body, it's not like muscles where the areas are isolated into a certain area, if you build little muscle here and there it'll actually pull and stretch certain areas like if your going to get your dress fixed, you pull one area and other areas get tighter accordingly, like building up top will be like shortening the straps etc.

waist slimming belts work nice if wear to your sleep with it by squeezing out excess moisture and water weight out of your tummy. This is just temporarily unless you wear it regularly though which could be uncomfortable. About $5 at wal-mart

Then there's the idea of wearing jeans looser around the waist since people tend to wear jeans way too tight.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Epiphanous

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
first correct nutrition and working out is best, I say nutrition cause people think diet = eat less which IS NOT THE SAMETHING. Nutrition isn't starving yourself, keep eating so your not hungry but not til your full. 6 meals a day is fine, even if it's shake inbetween (protein not slim fast, ensures etc)

Also working out a little all over doesn't hurt. Lifting heavy weights don't hurt either. Let me how you a person who workouts with heavy weights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjHyLQcGxw - Jamie Eason is a fitness model, and she worksout HARD with heavy weights. Just to show you that lifting weights won't make a woman huge =)

Basically the skin is 1 organ of the body, it's not like muscles where the areas are isolated into a certain area, if you build little muscle here and there it'll actually pull and stretch certain areas like if your going to get your dress fixed, you pull one area and other areas get tighter accordingly, like building up top will be like shortening the straps etc.

waist slimming belts work nice if wear to your sleep with it by squeezing out excess moisture and water weight out of your tummy. This is just temporarily unless you wear it regularly though which could be uncomfortable. About $5 at wal-mart

Then there's the idea of wearing jeans looser around the waist since people tend to wear jeans way too tight.
Wow, thanks so much I knew I could count on you to give me some good advice ;P

A couple of questions: Is there such a thing as too much protein? Also, right now I'm working to support both myself and my boyfriend, so do you know of any good protein shakes that are of decent value?

I've been working out pretty consistently about an hour a day, but I don't lift weights (my biceps get pretty bulky and I think it makes my boyfriend feel kinda bad about his own) ^^; Are there any exercises in particular that you would recommend for the belly area?

What you said about skin was really interesting, and I'll take it into consideration when I work at certain areas. The model that you linked is GORGEOUS! I wish I could have a body like that without my boyfriend feeling less manly xP
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
C0BALTDragon

You can't target "belly area."

One thing to know is with the skin is it retains water due to sodium deposits. So low sodium diet and lots of water + sweating, will help make ur skin look tighter.

As for lifting if your BF gets self conscious of it then get his ass in the gym. Guys produce testosterone it is way easier for us to get big than girls... I spent 6 years trying to put on weight so I don't want to hear excuses that he is genetically just skinny he will still get bigger faster than you ever could.
C0BALTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
emmisu
King of Toast

Alright I'll give my two cents I guess,
First off, you're incredibly skinny so losing weight wouldn't help at all, in fact being so skinny is what makes that more noticeable.
I agree about low sodium diets and exercising to build muscle around the area, because honestly that little 'pooch' is what happens when girls hit puberty. It's a little pocket of fat that's there to sustain and cushion your uterus when a woman gets pregnant. It's a natural thing, so building muscle around it (and all over) and losing some of the salt content of your diet to make it less noticeable is the only solution you can really meet, but it's very unhealthy to get rid of it all together. Your body's hormones will get really screwed up and it could have lasting damage if you're level of body fat drops too low.
Most if not all girls have this, it's just less noticeable in some than others lmao I have it too.

For the protein shakes:
Get a blender, make a peanut butter and banana smoothie. PB is pretty much pure protein, and some sugar, but it's filling.

A two cups of PB, some skim, soy or almond milk or yogurt and a banana is a pretty delicious smoothie.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound like a righteous speech or lecture or something n_n;

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
distantarray

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much I knew I could count on you to give me some good advice ;P

A couple of questions: Is there such a thing as too much protein? Also, right now I'm working to support both myself and my boyfriend, so do you know of any good protein shakes that are of decent value?

I've been working out pretty consistently about an hour a day, but I don't lift weights (my biceps get pretty bulky and I think it makes my boyfriend feel kinda bad about his own) ^^; Are there any exercises in particular that you would recommend for the belly area?

What you said about skin was really interesting, and I'll take it into consideration when I work at certain areas. The model that you linked is GORGEOUS! I wish I could have a body like that without my boyfriend feeling less manly xP
Optimum nutrition is great at Vitamin Shoppe it's $42.99 for 5 pounds 70+ servings, adds upto around 60 cents a serving. It has 4grams of carbs and 24 grams of protein.

It's also nice cause it's lactose free (most asians are lactose intolerant to a degree it gives me serious gas otherwise lol) If your lactose intolerant make sure it's whey protein isolate (pure form) not concentrate. It should also say lactose free somewhere on the bottle.

Just don't take slim fast or ensure or carnations etc. cause they have much more sugar than a can of soda, and very low amount of protein for a meal replacement. More sugar also makes you more hungry so kinda defeats the purpose.

As for your boyfriend not feeling manly like mentioned earlier, get his ass to the damn gym. Men can grow muscle twice the rate of girls on a regular basis if not more, so if your keeping up he's just being lazy. Also if he doesn't support your health habits then maybe you should look for a new one. If you were local I might have to fill out an application jk jk

remember your arms when you work them out correctly you should get "the pump" which is blood filling the muscle over it's normal amount making the muscle look much bigger than it really is. I know everytime I go to the gym I keep lookin and going MAN I WISH I COULD STAY JUST LIKE THIS. you never look in the mirror going I"M PERFECT!!! hehe

anyways the pump is temporarily and if it bothers your boyfriend that much just don't see him after the gym til it settles down. But if you want him to feel better get him on Nitric oxide supplement pre-workout like jack3d, white flood, super pump250. Basically it'll give him energy to really push hard at the gym without feeling tired, and nitric oxide will hold his pump much longer, since it expands your blood vessels so he'll feel more manly after a workout since it'll blow up his muscles bigger and harder for longer lol! Also nitric oxide has great side effects in the bedroom (cough increased cough sensitivity, harder stronger cough everything cough)

as for the ab workout make sure your doing crunches and don't neglect your lower back, it's essential to help keep great posture, you can do everything with a swiss ball at home. You can pick one up for about $10-20 at wal-mart. Remember though as the body fat % drops you'll see your six pack naturally so you don't have to kill your abs to get one. You already have a six pack your "pooch" is just covering it. Remember to let them rest and not do them everyday either. It's still a muscle group.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.

Last edited by distantarray : 08-15-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Epiphanous

Thanks so much for the advise on the low sodium diet and water C0balt and emmisu! I understand that a lot of girls can go overboard with the losing weight thing, and don't worry - if I stopped eating enough my martial arts instructors would notice and start making me eat. One of them is the advisor to the boxer Ana Julaton, and he's really good about keeping an eye on people's bodies (not in a perverted way!!)

http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-na...he-philippines

distantarray: As always, you impress me with your knowledge

Thanks for the warnings about ensure and slimfast - I'll be sure not to grab them at the store.

My boyfriend is actually a student at the same dojo as mine, and he lifts weights at home. I honestly would say he's more dedicated to keeping up his figure than I am! He's all lean muscle, so he's been reading up a lot on building bulk and whatnot - he's gotten a bit bigger, but of course he's not satisfied yet :P I'll definitely have to remember the nitric oxide thing and slip it into one of our conversations sometime <3 ;P

I though that crunches were really inefficient for ab workouts? Maybe I'm misinformed or I'm thinking of normal sit ups. Either way, I think I saw a thread on six packs so I'm gonna go find it now :P Thanks again! ^.^
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
Qemba

A pooch (I have it too and it sucks :/) usually is just flab. You really just need to tone up and you can do that with fifteen minutes of ab excersices day C:
Qemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
C0BALTDragon

I would stay away from nitro pills. I know someone who got addicted to them and they make him anxious and even rage sometimes. A little bit of caffeine such as green tea etc is plenty of stimulant before working out if you really need something.

As for bulking, higher weight lower reps and lots of food lol I was 155lbs 5 years ago I'm a solid 198 now... 9k calorie a day diet for a while though, not the easiest thing to do and can get uncomfortable sometimes, but you have to if you are ectomorph with high metabolism.

@Distantarray: I would avoid suggesting stimulants or anything like that to people, especially over the net. That stuff can be really bad and mess with peoples bodies and they become dependent on it to rly work out (I am certified athletic trainer etc and I won't suggest that stuff unless it is for very short periods for peak training).
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Zombie Hadouken

[quote=C0BALTDragon;3595949]You can't target "belly area."
QUOTE]

True. belly fat (or core fat) is very hard to get rid of. I bought an elliptical and that thing works great for helping reduce core fat, becuase of sustained cardio. 30minute sessions on that at least every other day, and you'll start seeing results in a month or two.
the trick is sustained cardio. i took a Nutrition class a few years ago, and we were taught around 20mins is when you actually start burning core fat, so do at least a 30 mins.
Zombie Hadouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Epiphanous

Thanks for the reassurance Quemba <3

C0balt: I appreciate the warning, and that's awesome that you were able to gain that much healthy weight! We're on a very tight budget right now, but what're your best suggestions for the types of calories he should be consuming? I'd assume mostly protein, but I'd like to make sure.

Zombie Hadouken: First of all...awesome name xD That's really interesting about the sustained cardio bit - I'll have to find some extra drills to keep myself occupied Thanks for the info!
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0BALTDragon View Post
I would stay away from nitro pills. I know someone who got addicted to them and they make him anxious and even rage sometimes. A little bit of caffeine such as green tea etc is plenty of stimulant before working out if you really need something.

As for bulking, higher weight lower reps and lots of food lol I was 155lbs 5 years ago I'm a solid 198 now... 9k calorie a day diet for a while though, not the easiest thing to do and can get uncomfortable sometimes, but you have to if you are ectomorph with high metabolism.

@Distantarray: I would avoid suggesting stimulants or anything like that to people, especially over the net. That stuff can be really bad and mess with peoples bodies and they become dependent on it to rly work out (I am certified athletic trainer etc and I won't suggest that stuff unless it is for very short periods for peak training).
White flood isn't really anything bad imo, just beta alanine, l-arganine and other non-essential amino acids with some energy boosters that doesn't make you jittery or too anxious like fat burners. Pretty much all my workout buddies tried pre-workouts and they lov it. Beta alanine is proven to increase heart health, and nitric oxide diolates your blood vessels helping oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. Also create a nice feeling of boost.

Regardless it's not for everyone, only side effect I've seen from pre-workouts is some people get stuck in the toilet instead of being able to workout lol, like superpump 250 is nicknamed super dump two shitty by many online.

I'm currently studying to become a physical therapist and actually was studying to become a pharmacist before I found out how poorly the industry was managed and the level of corruption in the business. Worked as a pharmacy tech for a bit to figure this out as well. Before I take anything I study each ingredient and check out pros and cons, I wouldn't recommend anything I don't believe is safe, regardless it's just a way to help you get to the gym, if you have the full motivation to get yourself there without pre-workouts then that's great, but even if it's two cups of coffee and green tea and some oatmeal a a preworkout it's all fine, whatever gets you there.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that all natural doesn't always make it better, it's great if it is, but sometimes things are better taken, separated, or mixed with other things. Like mixing L-glutamine, L-arginine, and L-Citrulline has great synergy.

Regardless even caffeine i a drug imo, even if your taking it in coffee form. So it all comes down to each person's definition of things. Adding sugar or splenda equal, then half and half sure these aren't really made to be supplements but everything is chemicals we put into our bodies everyday. In the end no one should just listen to anyone, but should be encouraged to do research theselves and base a decision on their own.

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance Quemba <3

C0balt: I appreciate the warning, and that's awesome that you were able to gain that much healthy weight! We're on a very tight budget right now, but what're your best suggestions for the types of calories he should be consuming? I'd assume mostly protein, but I'd like to make sure.
I'm not cobalt but depending on the body type, if he's an ectomorph naturally skinny and hard to get any weight, he's going to need atleast 4,000 calories start on heavy training days, and 50 extra calories for every pound of muscle mass he puts on as a general rule of thumb. So if he gains 20 pounds of lean muscle mass, he'll have to bump up 1,000 calories a day to keep growing.

There's also a limit to how much protein you can digest at a time, and your body doesn't really store useable protein, but just stores the excess as calories. Everything's good in moderation, but to reach your goal just eat sensibly and make sure you try to get plenty of fiber, protein, and carbs in each meal, to lose weight you want to avoid carbs like crazy, but to gain carbs are a great thing. The math was lent to me from a friend who was 6'3 120 pounds, he's not 198 from his picture he just posted today. He's at around 7% body fat as well which is amazing.

so with the math 2,000 is recommended daily for average male + 50 calories for every pound lean body mass which is 78 pounds. So (50x78=3900 calories)

2000 + 3,800 calories + 2,000 calories to help grow so that's 7,800 calories a day is a healthy goal, it's also not bad to over shoot it as long as he's not getting fat in the process.
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
C0BALTDragon

You will need protein especially after workouts, but don't avoid anything else. Just eat healthy too much protein will put a strain on your body anyway, just extra protein shake after working out is fine and eat healthy. Lots of raw foods put the least amount of strain on your system as possible and you will feel way better and have more energy for working out.

Just look for sales in the local grocery store fliers. I make a list of what I buy then map out which markets i need to go to.

For example today I am going to pick up some food and will be getting:

(Ralphs)
White peaches - 59 cents a lb
Wallaby Organic Yogurt - 79 cents (and i have a coupon for 1$ off 4)
Maybe some ribeye depending how it looks - 4.77 lb

Henry's
Vine ripe tomatoes - 69 cents a lb
Red leaf lettuce - 48 cents each
Bartlett pears - 48 cents a lb

No real good deals on chicken breast today, but when there is I freeze the extra so it lasts a while. Also I always have almonds and broccoli on hand.
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
C0BALTDragon

Yea in themselves nitro pills are not that bad, but used regularly your body adapts to having that "extra" and starts to depend on it. Thus like i said i've seen some people get addicted and just have bad reaction to physical activity when not on them.

Don't get me started on sugar substitutes... just don't always pick sugar over splenda, sweet and low etc... if you have to have something with sugar go ahead and have don't put that other shit into your body.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0BALTDragon View Post
Yea in themselves nitro pills are not that bad, but used regularly your body adapts to having that "extra" and starts to depend on it. Thus like i said i've seen some people get addicted and just have bad reaction to physical activity when not on them.

Don't get me started on sugar substitutes... just don't always pick sugar over splenda, sweet and low etc... if you have to have something with sugar go ahead and have don't put that other shit into your body.
lol i'm not a fan of artificial sweetners, personally if I'm craving sugar I'm gonna eat damn sugar =)

but I usually get my sugar fix before or after a workout, since a raise in blood sugar is great during a workout, and after for recovery. I think most of getting the most out of your workout is knowing when and how to eat, is as important as what you eat. I'm out of oatmeal fml....